No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I think I need to move.

Might move to Florida in a few years.

They are harveting broc/cauliflower onions now. have been getting lettuce for 3 months. Brussells this month
How long are your Brussels in the ground?

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, literally! They are in the bulbing stage right now...several look like they may possibly push 6 inches diameter by harvest late May. I love onions, especially big ones.
I would enjoy living in a growing climate like yours but man them 110degress+ summer temps. In my 54years one this piece of ground I didn't ever recall a growing year that hot.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yep, when it is 110 deg out, I'm growing Sunn Hemp and cow peas and rebuilding soil for the next go around.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It all looks great. Did you get celery in. Or is celery a summer crop? It's a winter crop here because of the water requirements - and the mild winters.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It all looks great. Did you get celery in. Or is celery a summer crop? It's a winter crop here because of the water requirements - and the mild winters.
Good question... Celery requires a cool 140 days growing season and does not tolerate temps much below about 36 deg F. I can get the 140 days but never without occasional freezes and rare artic blasts down to 15 deg F.

Brussels sprouts will tolerate this. Celery will NOT. After many failures in the ground, I have resorted to growing some celery in containers from the "stump" ends of store-bought celery plants.

I cut off the "stumps" from store bought and put them in water for a while to root and then transplant to my Hügelkultur containers to grow out. The containers can be easily protected from freezes. It is a bit of a pain but the only way I can grow fresh celery here.

Ask a Question