My "Off Season" Garden veggies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the tv series 'Blackadder' Tony Robinson plays Blackadder's stupid servant, Baldrick, who adores turnips and carries about an especially large one.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
In the tv series 'Blackadder' Tony Robinson plays Blackadder's stupid servant, Baldrick, who adores turnips and carries about an especially large one.
A very funny series but the turnip bit escaped me. The whole series escaped me like most of the 1980s. I must have been busy in the eighties because most of the music escaped me as well.
There are a lot of turnip recipes on the web.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A very funny series but the turnip bit escaped me. The whole series escaped me like most of the 1980s. I must have been busy in the eighties because most of the music escaped me as well.
There are a lot of turnip recipes on the web.
Repeated Covid infections can cause you to forget things, even things like repeated Covid infections :)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My neighbor is an expert television watcher and ten years my junior. He's an expert on the eighties - music and all.
What were we saying??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've found turnips to be sneaky. One year they had the punch of horseradish, hard to get anyone here to eat them.

When they're mild, they make a good substitute for cabbage in soups and slaws.

None of this should be surprising, the above are all in the family

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I haven't experienced tasting like horseradish...but have noticed a correlation to turnip sweetness to the quality of the soil they are grown in.

Ahh, the lowly turnip...

"Once upon a time, in a sleepy little village nestled among rolling hills, there lived a peculiar character named Turnip Ted. Ted was known far and wide for his love of turnips—those humble, earthy vegetables that grew abundantly in the village fields.

One sunny morning, Ted decided to make a grand entrance into the neighboring town of Tateridge. But Ted wasn’t content with a simple stroll or a horse-drawn carriage. No, that wouldn’t do for Turnip Ted. He had a flair for the dramatic.

So, he hatched a plan. Ted loaded up his trusty old pickup truck with the plumpest, juiciest turnips he could find. The truck bed overflowed with these round, purple-and-white orbs—the pride of Tateridge.

With a twinkle in his eye and a mischievous grin, Ted climbed into the driver’s seat. The townspeople gathered, curious and amused. They whispered, “What’s ol’ Ted up to now?”

And then, with a roar of the engine and a cloud of dust, Ted drove into Tateridge. The truck bounced along the cobbled streets, turnips rolling and tumbling. Passersby stared in disbelief as Ted waved from behind the wheel, a crown of turnip leaves perched jauntily on his head.

“Behold!” he shouted, his voice echoing off the stone buildings. “Turnip Ted has arrived!”

The townsfolk burst into laughter. They clapped, cheered, and even tossed a few turnips back at him. Ted parked his truck in the center of town, creating a makeshift turnip market. People bartered for his prized vegetables, and Ted reveled in the attention.

From that day on, whenever someone arrived in Tateridge with flair or exaggeration, they were said to have “rode into town on a truckload of turnips.” It became a symbol of audacity, eccentricity, and good-natured fun.

And so, dear friend, that’s the whimsical tale of how Turnip Ted and his truckload of turnips left an indelible mark on Tateridge—and gave us a delightful saying that still brings smiles today.

Remember, though, this story is as fanciful as a turnip-headed scarecrow. But sometimes, a touch of whimsy is just what we need to brighten our days!"

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Harvested what we call a "mess of greens" today for lunch. The Mizuna fell victim to hard freezes, but the collards were fine...along with some more turnips and carrots today.

collards 2024.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I haven't experienced tasting like horseradish...but have noticed a correlation to turnip sweetness to the quality of the soil they are grown in.
Sure, the plants reacted to something in the soil that made them especially pungent. But, most all members of brassica have that punch. Most are quite mild but still there. Cabbage is a good example, the leaves are almost imperceptible but the closer to the core the flavor gets noticeable.

I might do small scale garden this year, a few buckets of horseradish and play with different amendments to see what makes it stronger. It's been years since I've had blow your head off horseradish.

Seriously, one year I had a root that was so angry I had to wear my charcoal respirator to grind it. Outside.

Moving back to topic, I wish I would have done a winter garden. It's been positively mild and almost spring like this year. Spinach, cabbage and yes turnips would be thriving. Indeed, a few cabbage plants that weren't culled are still growing.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... I wish I would have done a winter garden. It's been positively mild and almost spring like this year. ...
It is a bit of a gamble, but on the lucky years eating garden fresh tomatoes on New Years Day is well worth the risk. :D

Ask a Question