Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Mizuna is coming into it's own now :)
My stand is up and growing now. Looks like I'll be able to harvest some leaves soon.

How low of temps will this plant take? Reading online sounds like it is cold hardy.

zigs lettuce.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, that's brill Meadowlark :cool:

They go on most of the winter, drooping when it goes below freezing but picking up again when it warms up. They're very much cut and come again so pick away. Well grown my friend :)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
November Garden inventory now includes from the left 10 x 80 ft cover crop of white clover/vetch/winter rye, row reserved for next year's potato crop, row reserved for 1015 onion plants coming soon from valley, row of about 30 softneck garlic, 750 Texas granex and 1015y onions grown from seed, row of 3 varieties of cabbage, 2 varieties of broccoli, and kale, row of 3 varieties of potatoes, collards, and brussels sprouts, row of more broccoli, 2 varieties of radish, 2 varieties of carrots, collards, mizuna, American cress, turnips, and onions, tubs of tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce, swiss chard, onions, bok choy, celery, and Jerusalem artichoke, 16 x 80 ft cover crop of alfalfa, elbon rye, turnips, and peas, and 3 jalapeno plants and three toro pepper plants still producing. We've been eating fresh broccoli, radishes, chard, collards, now several times a week for 3 weeks. Hoping a killer freeze holds off a few more weeks and will have a 100 pounds of potatoes to dig and vine ripe tomatoes.

nov garden.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
That's a good way to go. We are planting a lot more autumn (fall) crops here as well. Mostly we do it because it requires less watering. It's good to hear you are cooking with them all as well.👍

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I am down to Spinach and Peas. hoping to have fresh Snap peas for Thanksgiving dinner.
Interesting...here my Spinach and peas just could not get established because of record setting heat during Sept. and Oct. Almost every day threatened an all-time record heat day. I guess maybe I should try again with peas in a container that I can protect from hard freezes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Interesting...here my Spinach and peas just could not get established because of record setting heat during Sept. and Oct. Almost every day threatened an all-time record heat day. I guess maybe I should try again with peas in a container that I can protect from hard freezes.
yes for me fall peas are in containers. We have had temps as low as 25 degrees here in MD. I just move the peas inside for the night.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Think I might move this box of spring onions under cover as i've planted out 90 into the beds already. These will divide up and make 2/3 spring onions from each blub.

DSC02420.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For almost 15 years I've tried to grow bulb onions. And garlic. I've never had any luck.
You should use the long day type onions. Put them out kind of early and just stick them in the ground enough to stand them up if you use the plants. Now the sets I have no luck out of but can grow from seed or plants.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
For almost 15 years I've tried to grow bulb onions. And garlic. I've never had any luck.

If you're growing from seed, sow them under cover in jan/feb. If from sets then it pays to put them in root trainers before planting them out if only to stop the birds from pulling them out after you've put them in 😁

Garlic needs to go in in November so it makes root growth over winter. Harvest just before they disappear next July/August.

Hope that helps :)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Jolly good show old chap :) Over here we also call it American Cress.
Have 12 mini containers of American cress growing now in a cold frame. Any hints on using for the table?

American cress.JPG

Also, Mizuna fed several families as part of Thanksgiving and is bouncing right back from cutting. How do you use them also?

mezuna 2.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here in East Texas, my so called off season is definitely trending towards becoming the prime gardening season. Summer temps this year were approaching 110 deg F regularly in July, August, and early Sept. At those temps, it is difficult to grow many varieties. I'm changing with the climate and growing much more in fall/winter and far less (except for cover crops) in summer.

The fall/winter months are increasingly mild and offer ideal growing conditions for many varieties. It would be foolish for a gardener to pass on those perfect conditions.

Turnips are one of my cool season favorites primarily as a soil rebuilder. With long roots and tops extending several feet together they are 4 ft. of soil builder power. I like to eat them raw, kind of a forgotten veggie. Together with brassicas and leafy veggies they will grow most of the winter here barring an artic polar vortex.

Today's harvest:

turnips and broc.JPG

Ask a Question