My latest rescue....

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm glad to hear he is doing well!! (y) :)

I had to google Mistle thrush... he's going to be quite pretty!

( :oops: I stole a picture.)

upload_2017-4-28_9-49-21.jpeg

When it`s time for him to go out into the big world, he will be released here - we have more Mistle thrushes here for him to get in with......so far, so good :D (y)(y)

:unsure: When they are orphaned so young, how do they learn to find food on their own? :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

View attachment 19741

:unsure: When they are orphaned so young, how do they learn to find food on their own? :(
I daresay it is instinct - the rescued birds are only released if and when the rescue is sure they can cope. If for any reason it is thought they cannot , they would be cared for in captivity. That rarely happens fortunately.

I am wondering if we will get in any orphaned fox cubs this year - there were two that I met last year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

View attachment 19741

My friend visited here twice today, and she brought Melvin the Mistle with her (he is with her 24 hours a day at the moment) She said he had accepted her now as his mum, and she proved it. He was very shy of me, although ok, and she explained that he needed to be kept quiet without 'outside world' disturbance until he was fully fledged. After this, when he is big enough and strong, it will take time for her to ''wild him up'' - that was the expression she used. I took a few photos of Melvin, and then my friend spoke to him quite loudly - he responded with lots of song, then a wide open mouth and squawked for dinner ! She fed him and he settled down. It is a slow progress.
DSC00017.JPG

As you can see, he is doing well.

The second visit was to collect two nestlings we found today. The nest was on the ground, and there were two babes in there, and two more dead ones without heads nearby - on the site. We think a stoat or weasel was responsible.
The two live ones were cold, so I used my emergency kit, including a warming pad to keep them warm. I heard they are doing well. These two are greenfinches.
I will see them all again in the morning as I`m doing the demand feeding shift for the day. Other work will have to wait.
More soon...............

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How come I missed all these lovely stories and developments?? You've done a good job, @Tetters!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pleased to report that it was freedom day today - for Melvin Mistle and ''the twins'' - the two greenfinches also made it through. They arrived this morning in their travel cages and we released them. An emotional exercise every time...Melvin flew strongly up into the highest tree he could find, and the greenfinches flew into the hedgerow. We wished them well.
DSC00001.JPG
DSC00001.JPG
DSC00003.JPG
DSC00004.JPG
DSC00005.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @tbendl , we think we have spotted a mistle thrush with a smaller one for a companion...hopefully that is our Melvin. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Early this morning a very handsome, young, and well feathered mistle thrush flew over to a low branch right by my head. I looked up and said ''morning Melvin'' he sat there for a while making a low chk chk sound and then flew off. It may not have been him - but I like to think it was :unsure:

Ask a Question