My Calla Lilies are blooming after 5 years!!!!

Reaction score
Hi there! Thanks a lot! It might sound silly, but I still don't know how to take the bulbs, hehehe! I mean, the plant stayed outside this winter and is as green as ever. I wonder if when I'm ready to take the bulbs I should just errr... detach them from the green plant :p I only hope the guys in the US don't mind it D:

Reaction score
Well congratulations on that, they really desire a lot of care and patience in order to really grow a plant like that. I haven't been able to succeed at doing this. Could you guys offer me any tips?

Thank you :) Were you also growing Calla Lilies? I must say those lilies are so picky! It wasn't until I left them outside during a not so cold winter that they decided it was time to bloom :O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm sorry you had to give it up! I purchased one last year on clearance and it currently has no leaves, so I am hoping it will come back. The blooms are a beautiful red-violet color. I have no idea how to take care of them. The Easter lilies are on their way back, so I am looking forward to seeing if they will bloom again. I don't bother bringing bulbs in because they can handle the cold here.

Reaction score
Hi Channel! I was away from home during most of the winter, before coming back I really thought my calla had died, but it didn't! It had leaves still! That little thing is so strong! Some days ago my dad said it was blooming again! That girlie likes it cold, lol. I'm sure yours will do same! I noticed that when I let them in during the whole winter they never bloomed, they do need some cold to bloom, so am guessing that even if they die (the stem) they do come back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi Channel! I was away from home during most of the winter, before coming back I really thought my calla had died, but it didn't! It had leaves still! That little thing is so strong! Some days ago my dad said it was blooming again! That girlie likes it cold, lol. I'm sure yours will do same! I noticed that when I let them in during the whole winter they never bloomed, they do need some cold to bloom, so am guessing that even if they die (the stem) they do come back.

So far all my other lilies have come back (the Easter lilies are leafing out like mad at the moment) so I am hopeful the callas will do the same. I got them last year sometime between spring and summer and they had been forced in a greenhouse. I guess I just have to wait and see what they will do once acclimated to my yard. I have the pot sitting in partial shade.

Reaction score
That sounds good! Don't worry, I'm sure they will be fine, I have seen calla lilies over here coming back after a harsh winter. They always do, haven't tried with my own tho, but the neighbor had some planted in her garden some years ago, back in 2010 we had a really bad winter over here... hers froze to death, but they did come back months later. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That sounds good! Don't worry, I'm sure they will be fine... hers froze to death, but they did come back months later. (y)

Thanks! Mine certainly did not freeze, so I am hopeful. The plant seemed to be making new leaves in late summer, but then those died off. I have seen the leaves do the same with my daylilies and then come back in after the bulbs flower. Hopefully the callas will start coming up soon. Maybe I'll peek under the soil to make sure the bulbs are still intact. Do they divide into new bulbs like tulips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a beautiful bloom! For some reasons I am always afraid to grow this for fear that I will kill it. It is safe to say that I gear toward hardy flowers like mums, zinnias, Shasta daisies and cornflowers. This is too delicate of a flower for me :)

Reaction score
Sorry, not sure if you guys can still see it, I just reopened his thread, and didn't see it loading :( but it's ok, my calla lilies bloomed this year as well. I need to give that poor plant away. The pot where it was sitting is crumbling. I should actually get to work on that asap.

Reaction score
Thanks! Mine certainly did not freeze, so I am hopeful. The plant seemed to be making new leaves in late summer, but then those died off. I have seen the leaves do the same with my daylilies and then come back in after the bulbs flower. Hopefully the callas will start coming up soon. Maybe I'll peek under the soil to make sure the bulbs are still intact. Do they divide into new bulbs like tulips?

As far as I know they do. Mine started growing two new plants, I will have to be checking those son. I only hope can find a suitable empty pot to transplant that poor thing. This is an emergency! The pot where it was sitting is crumbling, so I need to find her a new home with somewhere else as well, since I am leaving soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
As far as I know they do. Mine started growing two new plants, I will have to be checking those son. I only hope can find a suitable empty pot to transplant that poor thing. This is an emergency! The pot where it was sitting is crumbling, so I need to find her a new home with somewhere else as well, since I am leaving soon.

Oh, no! I guess I need to feed mine better because I only got one bloom from them this year. I am going to have to turn them out of the pot and see what's going on under the soil to be sure they are still alive. I found two pots of white ones in the garden center yesterday and they still have green tops.

Reaction score
Oh, no! I guess I need to feed mine better because I only got one bloom from them this year. I am going to have to turn them out of the pot and see what's going on under the soil to be sure they are still alive. I found two pots of white ones in the garden center yesterday and they still have green tops.

I will have to do the same, I will give those away so I need to but each new plant in a new pot (y) Pity you don't live nearby, or else you could keep my calla lilies! I hope your lilies are ok and you don't find any bad surprises!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I will have to do the same, I will give those away so I need to but each new plant in a new pot (y) Pity you don't live nearby, or else you could keep my calla lilies! I hope your lilies are ok and you don't find any bad surprises!

I wonder if it isn't too hot for them here. I suppose I could try digging up the bulbs and storing them indoors in the cool of the air conditioning, but that's just too much work when I am already behind with all the repotting, etc., in the garden as it is.

Reaction score
I wonder if it isn't too hot for them here. I suppose I could try digging up the bulbs and storing them indoors in the cool of the air conditioning, but that's just too much work when I am already behind with all the repotting, etc., in the garden as it is.

I totally get you, been thinking of re potting those calla lilies (I want to give them away), been meaning to all this time, but for some reason I always end up forgetting about it, lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I totally get you, been thinking of re potting those calla lilies (I want to give them away), been meaning to all this time, but for some reason I always end up forgetting about it, lol

That's me and the daylilies. Every year I say I am going to dig them up after they bloom...

Ask a Question