My Calla Lilies are blooming after 5 years!!!!

Reaction score
Lol, thanks! I will just make sure to dry them very well, I still need to think of where I will pack them, probably a small cardboard box. Ah well, if they don't make i for one reason or another, at least I will know I tried :) I hope Homeland Security doesn't vandalize my bags again... I don' think they'd let the bulbs leave that place. They took my inhaler last time.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I'm sure that your future mother in law will understand it:) Actually, I think it's very sweet that you're so attached too your calla lily. I can totally relate to it:) I feel the same way about my roses:love:
All gardeners are a little crazy when it comes to plants, I guess:p
Hehehe, yeah :love::love::love: That's so nice :) I hope you can take more pictures of your miniature roses and show them to us, I bet they are beautiful :love::love::love: I might start growing miniature roses as well once I am abroad (y) Maybe even the big rose bushes!

Reaction score
Thanks for the amazing reply, gata! You solved all my doubts! I will definitely try covering the callas during winter, after all those years I now see this kind of plant isn't supposed to die at all :p Unlike others I had that died during winter but came back stronger than ever! I will definitely save the bulbs with a lot time ahead, thanks a lot for the tips :)
My pleasure - especially as I now know that your Calla Lily has sentimental value and the information has helped in making it possible for you to keep it when you move and as a result will get many years of pleasure from seeing it in your new home :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hehehe, yeah :love::love::love: That's so nice :) I hope you can take more pictures of your miniature roses and show them to us, I bet they are beautiful :love::love::love: I might start growing miniature roses as well once I am abroad (y) Maybe even the big rose bushes!
Right now, they aren't too pretty, because they've just started growing. Most of them don't have too many leaves yet. But it's only a matter of time:) I'll take pictures of them as soon as they bloom.
I hope you'll start growing miniature roses too:D. What color would you choose?:)

Reaction score
Hi Claudine! I'm sure they will look spectacular once they bloom! My calla lilly looked awful for years, but now it seems she is finally making an effort to look green and beautiful... and also bloom! I will be waiting for those pictures :love: So pleasant to see them thrive, isn't it?

Reaction score
My pleasure - especially as I now know that your Calla Lily has sentimental value and the information has helped in making it possible for you to keep it when you move and as a result will get many years of pleasure from seeing it in your new home :)
You are so sweet, gata :love: I actually didn't think too much about the bulbs until you guys mentioned, so the info you gave me will come in so handy in a few months :) Thanks a lot!

Ad

Advertisements

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My daughter received a flower pot that had 3 plants in it, christmas cati, poinsetta and a calla lily. The calla lily died off and is now sprouting. I forgot it was even in the pot. One stem is getting very tall, I have never grown a calla lily. I am anxious to see how it grows, at the rate of growth I may need to move the lily into a pot of its own soon, there are 6 sprouts so far.

Reaction score
Great news! If it grows a bit more then it will really need a bigger pot, but I have noticed they aren't so picky when it comes to pots. Mine keep growing and growing, this year much more and it even bloomed. All these years I thought it wasn't growing because it needed a new pot, but it turns out the roots were ok and the plant was ok as well.

Reaction score
Well congratulations on that, they really desire a lot of care and patience in order to really grow a plant like that. I haven't been able to succeed at doing this. Could you guys offer me any tips?

Reaction score
Your calla lily plant is gorgeous. I hope you're able to figure out a way to take the bulbs with you. I would be sad to give up such a beautiful plant.

Reaction score
Hi there! Thanks a lot! It might sound silly, but I still don't know how to take the bulbs, hehehe! I mean, the plant stayed outside this winter and is as green as ever. I wonder if when I'm ready to take the bulbs I should just errr... detach them from the green plant :p I only hope the guys in the US don't mind it D:

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Well congratulations on that, they really desire a lot of care and patience in order to really grow a plant like that. I haven't been able to succeed at doing this. Could you guys offer me any tips?
Thank you :) Were you also growing Calla Lilies? I must say those lilies are so picky! It wasn't until I left them outside during a not so cold winter that they decided it was time to bloom :O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm sorry you had to give it up! I purchased one last year on clearance and it currently has no leaves, so I am hoping it will come back. The blooms are a beautiful red-violet color. I have no idea how to take care of them. The Easter lilies are on their way back, so I am looking forward to seeing if they will bloom again. I don't bother bringing bulbs in because they can handle the cold here.

Reaction score
Hi Channel! I was away from home during most of the winter, before coming back I really thought my calla had died, but it didn't! It had leaves still! That little thing is so strong! Some days ago my dad said it was blooming again! That girlie likes it cold, lol. I'm sure yours will do same! I noticed that when I let them in during the whole winter they never bloomed, they do need some cold to bloom, so am guessing that even if they die (the stem) they do come back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi Channel! I was away from home during most of the winter, before coming back I really thought my calla had died, but it didn't! It had leaves still! That little thing is so strong! Some days ago my dad said it was blooming again! That girlie likes it cold, lol. I'm sure yours will do same! I noticed that when I let them in during the whole winter they never bloomed, they do need some cold to bloom, so am guessing that even if they die (the stem) they do come back.
So far all my other lilies have come back (the Easter lilies are leafing out like mad at the moment) so I am hopeful the callas will do the same. I got them last year sometime between spring and summer and they had been forced in a greenhouse. I guess I just have to wait and see what they will do once acclimated to my yard. I have the pot sitting in partial shade.

Reaction score
That sounds good! Don't worry, I'm sure they will be fine, I have seen calla lilies over here coming back after a harsh winter. They always do, haven't tried with my own tho, but the neighbor had some planted in her garden some years ago, back in 2010 we had a really bad winter over here... hers froze to death, but they did come back months later. (y)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That sounds good! Don't worry, I'm sure they will be fine... hers froze to death, but they did come back months later. (y)
Thanks! Mine certainly did not freeze, so I am hopeful. The plant seemed to be making new leaves in late summer, but then those died off. I have seen the leaves do the same with my daylilies and then come back in after the bulbs flower. Hopefully the callas will start coming up soon. Maybe I'll peek under the soil to make sure the bulbs are still intact. Do they divide into new bulbs like tulips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a beautiful bloom! For some reasons I am always afraid to grow this for fear that I will kill it. It is safe to say that I gear toward hardy flowers like mums, zinnias, Shasta daisies and cornflowers. This is too delicate of a flower for me :)

Reaction score
Sorry, not sure if you guys can still see it, I just reopened his thread, and didn't see it loading :( but it's ok, my calla lilies bloomed this year as well. I need to give that poor plant away. The pot where it was sitting is crumbling. I should actually get to work on that asap.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Thanks! Mine certainly did not freeze, so I am hopeful. The plant seemed to be making new leaves in late summer, but then those died off. I have seen the leaves do the same with my daylilies and then come back in after the bulbs flower. Hopefully the callas will start coming up soon. Maybe I'll peek under the soil to make sure the bulbs are still intact. Do they divide into new bulbs like tulips?
As far as I know they do. Mine started growing two new plants, I will have to be checking those son. I only hope can find a suitable empty pot to transplant that poor thing. This is an emergency! The pot where it was sitting is crumbling, so I need to find her a new home with somewhere else as well, since I am leaving soon.

Ask a Question