My Calla Lilies are blooming after 5 years!!!!

Reaction score
This is a wonderful idea:) If I were you, I'd take the bulbs with me too. It will be nice to have something from home:) Personally, I get very attached to plants. All my miniature roses are very dear to me. I'd be unhappy if I had to leave them. They're almost like pets;)

I will definitely try it, Claudine :) My future mother in law might think I am crazy, but what the heck! I will definitely give it a go, there might be many calla lilies there, but this one is my calla lily ;)

Reaction score
Trellum - as your calla lily is producing more flowers - I would very definitely say that it enjoyed its winter outside - as its clearly been reactivated - so you'll be pleased to know that it should carry on producing more and more blooms for some time yet :)

There is no reason why a Calla Lily should die if left outdoors as its actually quite common to grow these plants outdoors and particularly the winter or spring flowering ones like yours - which are generally white and much hardier than the colored or spotted varieties - as they can withstand temperatures well below 0 providing they have a good mulch and I can vouch for that - as I have a clump in the garden that has survived many winters where temperatures have regularly dropped to minus 12 C - but would suggest that if you are worried as to how they would survive outside in your new home - that you try growing them outside in a pot for the first year - to see how they do and so that if the temperatures got extremely low and you were worried about them freezing - you could bring them undercover for protection :)

There really is no reason why you can't take your bulbs to Holland and the best time to dry them is when the foliage has totally died down - which is normally around 6 to 8 weeks after flowering - just remembering that once lifted from the soil they need to be left in the sun for 3 or 4 days to fully dry and are then best stored in something with good air circulation and not plastic.

Thanks for the amazing reply, gata! You solved all my doubts! I will definitely try covering the callas during winter, after all those years I now see this kind of plant isn't supposed to die at all :p Unlike others I had that died during winter but came back stronger than ever! I will definitely save the bulbs with a lot time ahead, thanks a lot for the tips :)

Reaction score
I am sure you will be able to figure out how to prepare the bulb for transport, as clearly this is not just any bulb. I'm pretty sentimental too, and I know it will mean a lot to have THAT call lily with you.

I just found out I have to dry it under the sun for 3 or 4 days :) As for the storing, gata said a place with good air circulation was best :D I just hope those bulbs survive a full day inside a plane, lol. I might just put them inside a cardboard box or wrap them in newspapers and place them in the bag. Hopefully they won't mind i :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I will definitely try it, Claudine :) My future mother in law might think I am crazy, but what the heck! I will definitely give it a go, there might be many calla lilies there, but this one is my calla lily ;)
I'm sure that your future mother in law will understand it:) Actually, I think it's very sweet that you're so attached too your calla lily. I can totally relate to it:) I feel the same way about my roses:love:
All gardeners are a little crazy when it comes to plants, I guess:p

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with crazy, when you hit insane, that's when we have to worry.

As for a plane ride I can't imagine the bulbs will mind, but if need be you might be able to get something to calm their nerves... Do NOT send them on the space station though. Seeds that have been sent for a trip on the space station have acted oddly when brought back and planted, and it's not known yet what the end results will be.

I hope you have many years of wonderful calla lily blossoms. Good think it wasn't a tree you were given!

Reaction score
Lol, thanks! I will just make sure to dry them very well, I still need to think of where I will pack them, probably a small cardboard box. Ah well, if they don't make i for one reason or another, at least I will know I tried :) I hope Homeland Security doesn't vandalize my bags again... I don' think they'd let the bulbs leave that place. They took my inhaler last time.

Reaction score
I'm sure that your future mother in law will understand it:) Actually, I think it's very sweet that you're so attached too your calla lily. I can totally relate to it:) I feel the same way about my roses:love:
All gardeners are a little crazy when it comes to plants, I guess:p

Hehehe, yeah :love::love::love: That's so nice :) I hope you can take more pictures of your miniature roses and show them to us, I bet they are beautiful :love::love::love: I might start growing miniature roses as well once I am abroad (y) Maybe even the big rose bushes!

Reaction score
Thanks for the amazing reply, gata! You solved all my doubts! I will definitely try covering the callas during winter, after all those years I now see this kind of plant isn't supposed to die at all :p Unlike others I had that died during winter but came back stronger than ever! I will definitely save the bulbs with a lot time ahead, thanks a lot for the tips :)

My pleasure - especially as I now know that your Calla Lily has sentimental value and the information has helped in making it possible for you to keep it when you move and as a result will get many years of pleasure from seeing it in your new home :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hehehe, yeah :love::love::love: That's so nice :) I hope you can take more pictures of your miniature roses and show them to us, I bet they are beautiful :love::love::love: I might start growing miniature roses as well once I am abroad (y) Maybe even the big rose bushes!
Right now, they aren't too pretty, because they've just started growing. Most of them don't have too many leaves yet. But it's only a matter of time:) I'll take pictures of them as soon as they bloom.
I hope you'll start growing miniature roses too:D. What color would you choose?:)

Reaction score
Hi Claudine! I'm sure they will look spectacular once they bloom! My calla lilly looked awful for years, but now it seems she is finally making an effort to look green and beautiful... and also bloom! I will be waiting for those pictures :love: So pleasant to see them thrive, isn't it?

Reaction score
My pleasure - especially as I now know that your Calla Lily has sentimental value and the information has helped in making it possible for you to keep it when you move and as a result will get many years of pleasure from seeing it in your new home :)

You are so sweet, gata :love: I actually didn't think too much about the bulbs until you guys mentioned, so the info you gave me will come in so handy in a few months :) Thanks a lot!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My daughter received a flower pot that had 3 plants in it, christmas cati, poinsetta and a calla lily. The calla lily died off and is now sprouting. I forgot it was even in the pot. One stem is getting very tall, I have never grown a calla lily. I am anxious to see how it grows, at the rate of growth I may need to move the lily into a pot of its own soon, there are 6 sprouts so far.

Reaction score
Great news! If it grows a bit more then it will really need a bigger pot, but I have noticed they aren't so picky when it comes to pots. Mine keep growing and growing, this year much more and it even bloomed. All these years I thought it wasn't growing because it needed a new pot, but it turns out the roots were ok and the plant was ok as well.

Reaction score
Well congratulations on that, they really desire a lot of care and patience in order to really grow a plant like that. I haven't been able to succeed at doing this. Could you guys offer me any tips?

Reaction score
Your calla lily plant is gorgeous. I hope you're able to figure out a way to take the bulbs with you. I would be sad to give up such a beautiful plant.

Ask a Question