Why is my Calla Lilly wilting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got this beautiful Calla Lilly two weeks ago, and just a couple of days after repotting it the bottom leaves started wilting. Some of the leaves on top are also starting to brown. I read up on the internet and it said that it could be getting too much nitrogen fertilizer. I haven't fertilized the plant at all. I reported it in all purpose potting soil. It shouldn't be dying of too much water also because I water all of my plants the same amount and I've never had one die of over watering and one has never came close to underwatering.

Attachments

• IMG_20161212_202447.jpg
    IMG_20161212_202447.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 2,979
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What kind of drainage does it have in the pot? Does the soil feel dry before you water it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What kind of drainage does it have in the pot? Does the soil feel dry before you water it?
I have it in a terracotta pot, theres a giant hole at the bottem of it. I always use terracotta because it sucks up allot of water incase of over watering. I really dont think it is being overwatered as the water isn't soggy at all and calla's really like moist soil. Im going to limit the amount of water I give it anyways but I still doubt thats the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Bump...sorry I don't really like to bump my post but this is an emergency! I literally have no idea what's wrong! When it started wilting the soil was hardly wet, just a little moist. Water is not a problem. Neither is sunlight because I got this in Lowe's and it was getting less sun than it is now. I reported it the day I got it with standard all-purpose poting soil. Extremely well drainage I would say. I just fertilized it with these little osmocote pellets and gave it a good watering. Apparently it could be dying because it has too much nitrogen but standard all purpose potting soild shouldn't have too much nitrogen!!! I'm thinking it doesn't have enough nitrogen so that's why I fertilized it. Any ideas? it's make me so upset when I look at it slowly wilting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you repotted it how much of the stems did you bury or did you end up at the same level? From the picture it looks like it is too deep. If it is at the correct depth I would then have to say that you are not watering deeply enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When you repotted it how much of the stems did you bury or did you end up at the same level? From the picture it looks like it is too deep. If it is at the correct depth I would then have to say that you are not watering deeply enough.
I guess i will replant it considering root rot fungus could also be a problem, thank u so much

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess i will replant it considering root rot fungus could also be a problem, thank u so much
If it has root rot repotting it probably will not help. Root rot is caused by too much water too often and it is difficult to overcome. Calla Lilys like more than average amounts of water. If it were me I would take it out of the pot to make sure there is no root rot and make sure that the water is going deep enough and then make sure it wasn't planted to deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If it has root rot repotting it probably will not help. Root rot is caused by too much water too often and it is difficult to overcome. Calla Lilys like more than average amounts of water. If it were me I would take it out of the pot to make sure there is no root rot and make sure that the water is going deep enough and then make sure it wasn't planted to deep.
Thank you, I repoted it a week ago, I don't know what root rot looks like but they looked healthy and yellow. I gave it a wash in some dillited pesticide just Incase it had a disease, planted it higher up in the soil, cut of the dead leaves, and tied the whole thing together to prevent the stems from falling and snapping. I am so upset because It just keeps getting worse everyday, it should be gone in a week or so. I know it was not a problem with over or under watering because all of my plants have the same watering schedule, I have mostly water loving plants, I water my aloe and agave the same amount as I water the Cala, I make sure the water gets all the way down there, when I took it out to report it looked like everything was evenly moist. My guess is the soil was the reason it is dying. I am just using standard potting soil. Do you think you have any recommended soil mixtures I can try?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
here's a picture

Attachments

• 1482567368221-1700555628.jpg
    1482567368221-1700555628.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 4,418
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
All calla lilies go into a period of winter dormancy after flowering & bloom again the following year as far as I know. I think you should Stop watering and feeding the plant now & allows the soil to dry out and the plants to die off. Even if you live in a warm climate Or in doors the rules are the same. They have tubers and as long as they are not rotten. I'm sure it will be fine come spring;) it will start to grow as soon as it pops its new leaves out start watering. Fingers crossed for your Calla...DON'T GIVE UP ITS IN HIBERNATION :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I agree with Daren, the plant seems to be dormant! I think I am going through the same thing with mine for the 1st time. According to my reading you want to stop watering, let it die, then move it to a dark dry place for about 2-3 months. then bring it back out to the light and start watering again... I stopped watering mine just over a week ago Ill move it to the garage in the next few days

Attachments

• calla.JPG
    calla.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 763
  • calla.JPG
    calla.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 694

Ask a Question