My white calla lily

Reaction score
Here is a picture I took a while ago. It's my white calla lily :) So far the name of this plant was a total mystery to me, until some members of this amazing forum told me what the name of this plant was.

534836_497379657003752_2080089691_n.jpg

521678_497379707003747_872076161_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Looking at the pictures is a great pleasure, the plant is so beautiful! I love white flowers in general, because they always look so clean and perfect:) I hope that I'll manage to get a Lilly like this too:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's beautiful, @Trellum! Some day I would like to have calla lilies growing, but for now I have all the plants I can handle. I foraged some seeds from a beautiful pink lily several months ago that I hope with bloom next year, and I'm trying to coax daylilies back to health, so I'll just have to contend with what I already have for now.

Reaction score
That is an absolutely gorgeous flower. Is it difficult to care for? I see it's in a pot - is it winter hardy or do you take it in in the winter?

Reaction score
Looking at the pictures is a great pleasure, the plant is so beautiful! I love white flowers in general, because they always look so clean and perfect:) I hope that I'll manage to get a Lilly like this too:)

Yes, just be careful when you dig out the bulb :) That's everything you will need in order to get your White Calla Lily. Actually this plant was given to me by a neighbor, but it was my dad the one who digged the bulb out! This plant is really easy to take care for, but I suspect mine really need to be repotted. This kind of plants do better planted on the soil, in my experience they don't seem to like pots that much.

Reaction score
That is an absolutely gorgeous flower. Is it difficult to care for? I see it's in a pot - is it winter hardy or do you take it in in the winter?

Not at all :) It's been three years so far and I still have this plant in good shape. It hasn't bloomed in a bit, but that must be because she might need some space. I'll have to get a new pot or just plant it on the soil! I haven't made that decision yet. They really need a good source of sunlight, but no direct sunlight on them. Just get a bulb and put it in a pot :) It's that easy! Those plants produce a lot bulbs, specially the ones planted on the soil.

This lily is in a pot mostly because I don't dare to plant it in the soil :) I've seen a lot calla lilies outside, but I always like to take mine inside during winter.

Reaction score
It's beautiful, @Trellum! Some day I would like to have calla lilies growing, but for now I have all the plants I can handle. I foraged some seeds from a beautiful pink lily several months ago that I hope with bloom next year, and I'm trying to coax daylilies back to health, so I'll just have to contend with what I already have for now.

Thanks, Chanel :) Over here this kind of flowers are very popular, specially when it comes to art and painting, just check this out:

diego2%20Calla%20Lily%20Vendor.jpeg

images

Rivera_CallaLily_1955046b.jpg

This one was painted by Diego Rivera:
Retrato%20de%20Natasha%20Gelman.gif

By the way, this is the first time I hear about pink lillies :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have seen those images before, they are lovely. In fact, I think I bought a gift bag that had one of them as the design on the bag. I don't know what type of lily I have, only that it produces a pink flower. I guess it most looks like this one, but I am going from memory as my plant is still immature.

506px-PinkLily.JPG

Reaction score
I have seen those images before, they are lovely. In fact, I think I bought a gift bag that had one of them as the design on the bag. I don't know what type of lily I have, only that it produces a pink flower. I guess it most looks like this one, but I am going from memory as my plant is still immature.

506px-PinkLily.JPG

That's a really beautiful flower!!! I have seen this flower before somewhere. Aren't they very hard to take care of? It's been a real pain to make my calla lily bloom. Where did you get your lily? Did you grow it from a bulb?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Where did you get your lily? Did you grow it from a bulb?

I grew it from seed I collected in front of an empty house. I broke the seed pod off and brought it home, and before I could figure out how to start the seeds they sprouted on their own. It will probably take a year for the bulbs to form and start producing flowers, but I've wanted pink lilies for a while so I can wait :)

Reaction score
I grew it from seed I collected in front of an empty house. I broke the seed pod off and brought it home, and before I could figure out how to start the seeds they sprouted on their own. It will probably take a year for the bulbs to form and start producing flowers, but I've wanted pink lilies for a while so I can wait :)

Interesting!!! I had no idea you could grow this one from a seed as well! I thought this kind of plants didn't really produce seeds. I hope you can take some pictures and post them over here once it blooms ;)

Reaction score
Oh my! That is so beautiful! For some reason it reminds me of, "Alice in Wonderland." I think it's because when she runs into those mean flowers, one of them is a white calla lily. It is so gorgeous though! Great shot and great growing!

Reaction score
Oh my! That is so beautiful! For some reason it reminds me of, "Alice in Wonderland." I think it's because when she runs into those mean flowers, one of them is a white calla lily. It is so gorgeous though! Great shot and great growing!

Thanks! I wish the shots could have been clearer, but for some reason I couldn't get a cleaner shot :( Might be able to get clearer shots once I buy my new camera ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Interesting!!! I had no idea you could grow this one from a seed as well! I thought this kind of plants didn't really produce seeds. I hope you can take some pictures and post them over here once it blooms ;)

A lot of flowering plants produce a seed. However, those plants have to be pollinated for the seed to be produced. Some flowering plants spread by tuber or rhizome like dahlia and ginger. Some produce new bulbs, like tulips.

Ask a Question