Stargazer lilies still not reproducing.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here it is, another year. :(

Four years ago I bought a package containing three Stargazer lily bulbs. The packaging claimed, "Can grow up to 20 new bulbs in one year!!" Yes, I do know that is a lot of hype, so I expected a couple bulbs a year. C'mon, at least one new bulb a year...o_O

The three plants keep coming back, but for new plants, I got nothing.

They bloomed the first year I planted them, and one of them had two flowers, so I thought they were happy there. :confused:

0802041656lily2.jpg

Every year they have more flowers, and I still think they are happy.

0720161529.jpg

There they are. Three plants. I planted them like that hoping they'd grow towards each other, and eventually fill that in. What can I do? Shouldn't there be at least one new bulb between the three plants - in four years' time? :cautious: :cry:

0416171128a.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Shouldn't there be at least one new bulb between the three plants

@MaryMary
I read the description of this lily on our websites selling plants. It says: "Reproduction of the lily occurs in small bulbs (can be formed next to a large bulb) and the scales of the bulbs."

Customer reviews also do not mention "the miracles of rapid breeding". Gardeners write that small bulbs are separated in autumn. But a long time to wait for them to flourish fully.

I can call some sellers very polite - "original."

We have an "avian market" here. It's a bit of a wild market where animals and plants are sold.
Once I wanted to buy a small dog - Pekingese. I went and looked at different puppies. I saw a cute little puppy and asked: "Who is this?"
The seller also asked: "And who do you need?"
"Pekingese!"
"Here is the Pekingese.(He showed me a puppy, maybe one of his grandmothers was a Pekingese).).

I asked: "Why does he have a long nose?"
The seller replied: "When you buy, his nose will then be drawn in and will be short." :D

So you're lucky. In any case, this is a real Stargazer lily.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Gardeners write that small bulbs are separated in autumn. But a long time to wait for them to flourish fully.
So, they may be in there, waiting 'til they have the energy to break the soil and bloom? :confused: Do I need to dig them up to separate them, only to replant them in the same spot? :unsure: Could I (or should I) fertilize them with anything to encourage them?

I will plant a shorter perennial in the center of the three, and give them more time!!
smilie_girl_093.gif

:sneaky: I stole your angry little girl!! Bahahaha!!!! :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Did you ever get your Pekingese? :unsure: :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your lucky, I planted over a hundred bulbs and all but three got taken by the darn squirrels! Including a few stargazers! :mad:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your lucky, I planted over a hundred bulbs and all but three got taken by the darn squirrels! Including a few stargazers! :mad:
Oh no, I dare the squirrels to try to take my bulbs!!

I installed the Pinwheel of Cats, and they work quite well. (y)
Cheaper than replacing 100 bulbs!! :D

0505041731a.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@MaryMary
I usually see small leaves of new lilies next to an old plant. But I separate them when they grow bigger. I just dig it out, put it next to it and forget it. They grow themselves. I think a few years. Then, when it is a young plant, I tear off the bud (the first flowering), so that the bulb grows.
To be honest, it's easier to buy a new one. :D

I stole your angry little girl!!
cc2.gif

Did you ever get your Pekingese?

I got a half-breed of Pekingese.
But we like not the breed, not the color of the eyes or harmful character. We love just because we love. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary Next time you buy any lily bulbs, try to scale them and you can easily have 20 new ones.

Put the bags in somewhere warm and dark and within 2 months, you will have bulblets.. Also, leaf mould is recommended for lilies potting or growing..

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for your answers. :)

I usually see small leaves of new lilies next to an old plant. But I separate them when they grow bigger. I just dig it out, put it next to it and forget it. They grow themselves. I think a few years. Then, when it is a young plant, I tear off the bud (the first flowering), so that the bulb grows.
To be honest, it's easier to buy a new one. :D

@MaryMary Next time you buy any lily bulbs, try to scale them and you can easily have 20 new ones.

Put the bags in somewhere warm and dark and within 2 months, you will have bulblets.. Also, leaf mould is recommended for lilies potting or growing..

If I dig up one of the Stargazers, it should have scales and/or bulblets? How long do they form in the ground before doing anything? Approximately how many potential new flowers would be on one bulb? (Even if I had to wait a couple years... :rolleyes: Patience is not my strong suit.)

:unsure: I'm guessing I should wait 'til fall... Should I even let it bloom? :confused:

I might need someone to talk me through this!! :ROFLMAO:

Larisa
, I agree it would be easier to buy a new one. But one of the ones I have, the one at the top of the photo, never does as well as the other two. I don't know. :cautious: Maybe they shade it, and it needs more sun? Maybe it's too close to the porch, and doesn't get as much water? I've been thinking about moving it anyway, and now that I'm curious, I am willing to donate it to science. ;) :geek:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
When you buy a bulb, you could scale it and just leave enough to form a new plant to flower.. If the conditions are met, the plant will have bulblets stuck on the side the following year. When you scale it, you could end up with a lot of plants with no money spent. But you might have to wait for 3 years for a flower.. You might think it's a long time.. When there is so much going on in the garden, you wouldn't even notice.

Please have a look here

Stargazer lilies must soak up at least 8 hours of direct sunlight per day. You can plant stargazer lily bulbs in the spring or fall, about 6 inches into the ground, spaced about 12 inches apart.

Blooms
Lilies usually bloom in mid to late summer. Stargazer lily plants produce 4 to 12 flowers on each stalk, often in late July to early August. Flowers typically last about 1 to 3 weeks, but new blooms may appear through September. The length of bloom time depends on nutrients, direct sunlight, consistent temperatures around 90 degrees Fahrenheit and if new buds are trying to emerge. A stargazer lily’s soft petals feature various shades of pink and white, dappled with red spots. Stamens are long and light green with orange lobes.

Care
Watering lilies overhead can cause damage and disease to the blooms, so it is better to run a hose or sprinkler strip directly into the soil. Bulbs must be kept moist all year and during the summer they need about 1 inch of water per week. Composting and laying 2 inches of organic mulch in the spring helps to keep moisture in and control weeds. Adding slow-release 5-10-10 fertilizer in the spring allows bulbs to absorb nutrients. Pinching withered blooms when plant stems and leaves are yellow will keep seeds from dropping into the soil. Do not remove green foliage, as it helps the bulb soak in nutrients for the following season. Fall dormancy is the best time for dividing clumps of spreading lily bulbs.

Taken from here http://homeguides.sfgate.com/long-stargazer-lilies-bloom-61121.html

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary If you have bought some new ones, you can do it now.. You could use moist vermiculite or compost and blow some air into a clear bag and sealed the whole thing. Put it in your airing cupboard and in 2 to 3 months'time, you will have tons of bulblets and you could still plant your scaled bulbs but make sure it is of a decent size.. Follow the video and you can't go wrong..

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with @alp. And if you are real , then it can be done now, at the beginning of the vegetation. This is a good way. One flake can give several small bulbs. :)

Ok, I will try this!! (y) Then I would plant them to the ground this fall? :unsure: Around September?

@alp, I had to google "airing cupboard" because it is a totally foreign phrase. Individually, I understand both words, but they just don't go together for me. I think it's a "utility closet" over here! ;) :ROFLMAO:

None of those lilies get 8 hours of direct sunlight. :confused: They might get 6.5 hours, but the sun is up over the house after that. Maybe that is why they are not reproducing? I put them in a place they consider inhospitable. :( (n)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary We are still early in the season for starglazed lily flowers, so fret not.. If you could incorporate a little bit of bonemeal and water them as the lilies are hungry plants, they should flower. I can see the concrete near the lilies.. Make sure you keep the soil MOIST and add bonemeal and mulch, I'm pretty sure you will see the flowers...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary utility closet! Thank you for another bit of education. Well basically anywhere that is dark and warmish .. I had 2 bags in a cold place and nothing happened. I was so disappointed. I added a bit of water and pump up the bag with air and took the 2 bags upstairs in my utility closer among the linen and as the warm air rose up, I have bulblets within 1 month and I put them in 2 separate big pots, about 12 or more in one pot - one is called Annika double lily and the other one Isabelle double lily..

Theoretically, Annika double should look like this

imgres.jpg

And Isabelle double lilly should look like this
imgres.jpg

So if I wait for 3 years, I might have them. But knowing the company where I bought these bulbs from, anything is possible :eek::eek::eek:! What you see is not usually what you get.. :sick::sick:

Ask a Question