Moving to a new zone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I will be moving south and I am wondering if I can take plants with me. I love my garden here so much. I don't want to start everything over. But will plants that have gotten used to our zone 6a climate be able to handle zone 9 temps? I have strawberries and mints I would like to take to save from re purchasing them. Especially since there will be new zone 9 plants I will want to get

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would love to be able to grow tri-color ginger in the yard year round! The soil is sandy of course. There are always folks posting about the high drainage and they are always being told to add heaps of compost. Shade cloth for some plants may be a reality, or a full sun plant where you are needing part shade down there. Also once in a while there are strong winds since the ocean does not slow anything down, so prevailing windscreens can help. Also the closer to the coast you go the more salt tolerant and boron loving plants like it. You should make a lot of nice brassica if you choose. Out west there are the Sunset Zones which is like a USDA grow zone map but for high temp limits rather than low temp limits for planting. Unfortunately they do not carry through to the East. But I would make a bet that if you had worry about a specific plant then googling around the Sunset Zone Charts would lead to someone out West growing a similiar plant discussing the upper temp limits and other details about that plant. There should be other places to find the info also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm sure they are plants than "can" grow down there. I'm just wondering if you can dig up and take the plants from here. I know plants adapt to the areas where they grow. Guess it doesn't cost anything to try. Just going to take up space in my vehicle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We bought a 2nd home in Zone 8. already many plantings. its fun to explore new stuff.
Same. Ours will be a winter home for a while till we get tired of going back and forth.

I can't wait to grow new things down there. Super excited. I am a huge garden. And I grow, dry and sell herbal teas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I'm sure they are plants than "can" grow down there. I'm just wondering if you can dig up and take the plants from here. I know plants adapt to the areas where they grow. Guess it doesn't cost anything to try. Just going to take up space in my vehicle.
I would explore the type of soil you have in your new place first. We are airbnb our 2nd home. don't have any plans to live there for a while.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was thinking along the lines of a list of plants that would possibly make the move, their likes and dislikes. Something like a spreadsheet that can be organized and emailed to a local nursery or botanist for avoiding wasting efforts and making a brand new plan.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yep. Will do. I'm sure it's quite sandy down there. Here in Mi we have sand and clay and it compacts very hard. So I have learned a lot about composting. My chickens help a lot with that . That does give me a good idea though that I should start my compost bin right away the first time down there so that it can get started for when I am ready to start doing planting. We have a lot of clearing and ground work to do so it shouldn't be a problem to get a compost pile going.

I hear you about the ginger. So many new things I can't wait to grow. So things I will miss from hare though too. Like the cherries

Ask a Question