Moving Orchids outside. What to be careful of? What not to do?

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Dear Garden Friends,
We've had 2 orchids for about 5 years now. They flower for us about once a year. They have done fairly well indoors but this year my wife, Marsha, would like to set them outside for the summer.We are considering our property and which locations might work best. I've told her I don't know the plant well enough and this might not even be a good idea. We are in western New York state. Does anyone have any advice that might help with this.
Thanks for any help,
Mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I keep ours outdoors after any chance of frost is passed. I have them in hanging baskets and keep them where they receive no direct sunlight. One thing to watch out for is squirrels. They can destroy an orchid fast. I give them lots of water and fertilizer during the summer to promote new growth. Good luck.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Dear Silentrunning, TY so much, we are moving them today. The wife is surprised about the watering because we've been watering them very lightly here indoors. No direct sun we can do easily. The squirrels sound like a possible problem; we have plenty of them around.
yours truly,
The Butler

Ask a Question