alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Beets! Blech, you can just taste the dirt in them. :eek:

That is, until I tried pickled beets... I like a few of them. If I eat them too long, I get accustomed to the pickle taste, and then I can taste the dirt again. (n)

But I don't hate them. (y) (Anymore.:D )

Exactly my sentiment - eating dirt! I have a very big one growing in amongst my irises and hellebores. I just don't have the heart to dig it up as I know it will end up in the bin because of its unique dirt flavour.

Nice to hear from you, @MaryMary ! Hope you have time to unwind!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I would never give up salt (or sugar) completely. I believe unless one has a severe health condition salt is ok if used in moderation :)
Totally agree. An old Biblical quote. Season your comment with salt. Yes salt along with many other condiments and flavours have their place. It's when some folk might think. I love it. It's piled on your plate. Ycuk. Sorry i don't like it....THAT MUCH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
but tomatoes should be cooked to release their nutrients.
Consistent with previous studies, vitamin C content decreased by 10, 15 and 29 percent, respectively, when compared to raw, uncooked tomatoes. However, the research revealed that the beneficial trans-lycopene content of the cooked tomatoesincreased by 54, 171 and 164 percent, respectively.Apr 22, 2002

Only one nutrient, not plural, and cooking anything always effect vitamin C.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/raw-vegetables-vs-cooked-vegetables-5344.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Okra, for the love of all that is holy, who in the hell decided that was "edible"!?

Beets aren't far behind and I'm pretty sure kale was a college dare that gained momentum because it was the cool hipster thing to do.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Cooking does affect a lot things, some good and some bad. Even doctors advise that eggs should be well cooked to make amino acid easier to absorb. Same for tomatoes.

Okra, @vette-kid , can be gruesome, but I think some forumers suggested eating them young, like spinach ..

How about rocket!? Er, so bitter .. you can only eat the baby ones with mozzarella! Otherwise, tough and bitter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Okra, there is this food store I get to once in a while, they have deep fried Okra, its crispy and yummy. always buy a bag to take and munch on with my drive home. Eggs, like them easy over and yolk runny. don't get sick either.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Esther's preference reminds me of Prince Charles 7 stages of eggs being cooked.

With power comes the obligation to reach agonising decisions: completely runny, just set, soft-boiled or as hard-boiled as the rock of ages?

Faced with the terrifying responsibility of second-guessing Prince Charles, on such an excruciatingly personal matter, it seems his staff chose to play safe and cover all options.

According to Jeremy Paxman, the TV presenter and author, the prince is particularly fond of a boiled egg after a day's hunting. "Because his staff were never quite sure whether the egg would be precisely to the satisfactory hardness, a series of eggs was cooked, and laid out in an ascending row of numbers. If the prince felt that number five was too runny, he could knock the top off number six or seven."

You can't make it up! Just tell you how many different stages of eggs being cooked; how the other half live in this world and how indulgent people can be or how others indulge him.

Funny thing is that how cooked veg is can affect our preference. I like broccoli just cooked and crunchy, a bit more on the cooked side while ex wants it cooked, dead cooked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I am like that also with broccoli, in a saute pan, little olive oil, and one tablespoon of water, slowly cooked, some browning, and garlic. just enough to turn the color and that is it. I avoid giving up of vitamins to water when I cook veggies. I steam when I can. have a steamer for my carrots, they sit above the boiling water and get done that way. But of course there is roasted carrots with cumin (yum) husband loves them that way. or steamed carrots with butter and dollop of orange marmalade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am like that also with broccoli, in a saute pan, little olive oil, and one tablespoon of water, slowly cooked, some browning, and garlic. just enough to turn the color and that is it. I avoid giving up of vitamins to water when I cook veggies. I steam when I can. have a steamer for my carrots, they sit above the boiling water and get done that way. But of course there is roasted carrots with cumin (yum) husband loves them that way. or steamed carrots with butter and dollop of orange marmalade.

If it browns at all, you've gone too far! I use either Olive oil or butter, just till it's hot. Can't stand mushy broccoli!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Now you know why Charles Windsor needs 7eggs with different stages of being cooked! :eek::eek::eek:

I chuck sliced carrots into my rice. That way, it saves the hassle of boiling them in water or sauteing them.

Ask a Question