Most hated veg(s)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Garlic. Hate the taste and the smell, even worse second hand. Should be utterly banned.
Cannot eat Asparagus, one of my tablets makes it taste bitter.

Garlic is a hard one to call. It smells incredibly aromatic. How can you not use garlic in a roasted chicken, pork, lamb? But quite right, the odour, especially 2nd hand, is off-putting.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I love almost all vegetables but I can't stomach parsnips. There is something about the texture and taste that just makes me gag.
I'll have to try kale. Since it became a "fad" green here in the States, I've avoided it (just being perverse!), but I'll give it a try soon.

Kale is a funny one. Apparently, it has been promoted, heavily, as a superfood and there seem to be evidence to support it. I think the tender young one could be nice, but the hard old ones I will definitely avoid. In Lincolnshire, there are big projects to hybridise kale and I think it will be a success as they make it more colourful and I would like to try sometime. Would like to keep an open mind, but I do understand people hate coriander.

Son used to hate parsnips, but now he says he's OK! It's nice roasted as it is so sweet.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Rutabagas are lovely pressure cooked, mashed with butter and a touch of brown sugar. .at least ours are flavourful. .. you either like them or you don't. .

Brussels sprouts and beans are great for revenge... the other half gets silly, have those for supper and you can sing to them all night :ROFLMAO:
And you don't get bunged up :ROFLMAO:

A most hilarious post! :LOL::ROFLMAO:;)

I remember a shop worker asked me why we liked sprouts. He said they didn't taste nice and made you fart!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Cooked onions, literally only vegetable I don't like. Cant stand the texture. I love raw onions tho.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Cooked onions, literally only vegetable I don't like. Cant stand the texture. I love raw onions tho.

But I love the aroma of cooked onions. But love raw sweet onion in a salad! Yummy!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I have yet to learn to love okra. I have collected some seeds because of the magical nutritional value my Philippino friend boasted about. I think @Silentrunning might have recipes to turn okra and eggplant into magic. I have to say, eggplant in lasange is wonderful. Tempura .. wow! I'm already salivating!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It drives me up the wall when someone on a cooking show says, "and now I'll season the dish" and dumps salt on it! I use salt very sparingly, and only to enhance the flavor of certain things. Salt isn't seasoning! Herbs are seasoning!
When I conducted cooking classes for women receiving food assistance, every blessed lady used a lot of salt on food. First class I prepared lunch for them, and then after we'd eaten and gotten to know one another, I told them there was no salt in what they'd eaten. Second class, we tasted plain vegetables, pasta, and meat (chicken and pork) and then added a bit of herbs. They loved the difference! Third class, the ladies cooked. There was a salt shaker available, but by then they were so scared of me they avoided the shaker like the plague! Fourth class, we went grocery shopping and they were amazed at the amount of food they could get if they stayed away from the prepared, boxed or "convenience" foods. We hit the produce aisle hard. When they "graduated" they received a small cookbook of the dishes we had prepared, herb starts in 4" pots with care instructions, and my phone number if they had questions. For a few weeks I'd get some calls, but they learned to fly (not fry) on their own.

Silent, corn on the cob requires butter and salt! It's illegal to serve it any other way.
Could you dry or freeze herbs for winter use? Our climates aren't that much different, and I can overwinter sage and parsley in the barn, and I bring in thyme for the kitchen window sill to have fresh during the winter.

Ask a Question