Most hated veg(s)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Cooked onions, literally only vegetable I don't like. Cant stand the texture. I love raw onions tho.

Reactions: alp
Ad

Advertisements

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Cooked onions, literally only vegetable I don't like. Cant stand the texture. I love raw onions tho.
But I love the aroma of cooked onions. But love raw sweet onion in a salad! Yummy!

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I have yet to learn to love okra. I have collected some seeds because of the magical nutritional value my Philippino friend boasted about. I think @Silentrunning might have recipes to turn okra and eggplant into magic. I have to say, eggplant in lasange is wonderful. Tempura .. wow! I'm already salivating!

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
It drives me up the wall when someone on a cooking show says, "and now I'll season the dish" and dumps salt on it! I use salt very sparingly, and only to enhance the flavor of certain things. Salt isn't seasoning! Herbs are seasoning!
When I conducted cooking classes for women receiving food assistance, every blessed lady used a lot of salt on food. First class I prepared lunch for them, and then after we'd eaten and gotten to know one another, I told them there was no salt in what they'd eaten. Second class, we tasted plain vegetables, pasta, and meat (chicken and pork) and then added a bit of herbs. They loved the difference! Third class, the ladies cooked. There was a salt shaker available, but by then they were so scared of me they avoided the shaker like the plague! Fourth class, we went grocery shopping and they were amazed at the amount of food they could get if they stayed away from the prepared, boxed or "convenience" foods. We hit the produce aisle hard. When they "graduated" they received a small cookbook of the dishes we had prepared, herb starts in 4" pots with care instructions, and my phone number if they had questions. For a few weeks I'd get some calls, but they learned to fly (not fry) on their own.

Silent, corn on the cob requires butter and salt! It's illegal to serve it any other way.
Could you dry or freeze herbs for winter use? Our climates aren't that much different, and I can overwinter sage and parsley in the barn, and I bring in thyme for the kitchen window sill to have fresh during the winter.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am one of the people who is guilty of using salt to flavor food. It is a nasty habit. During the summer months when I can grow lots of herbs my salt consumption goes way down. Except for my beloved corn on the cob. :D
Yes, salt is bad for you, with when you take just a pinch of it.

Herbs are the way forward. Having said that, I hate chips covered with salt. Went to MacDonald for a HUGE mac and the chips with all the salt just put me off.

Ad

Advertisements

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I don't like the taste of beet and artichokes.
Eating beet is like eating mud! I've found it off-putting. But doc said that it was good against arthritis. Artichokes are hard work - a lot of work for very little flesh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds more like Okra, egg plant is more like polystyrene :)
I know what Lori is talking about - dishes such as baba ganoush can be a bit slimey. I adore aubergines though, especially in any middle-eastern dish! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would never give up salt (or sugar) completely. I believe unless one has a severe health condition salt is ok if used in moderation :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
have not run across any I don't like.

I love experimenting making them all different ways, and eating most raw which is the best for you. just last weekend I made Chocolate beet cake, it was eaten up quickly. I love a good grilled eggplant sandwich, yummy. brussels sprouts--raw or saute in garlic with pine nuts. beets raw shredded in a salad with some feta cheese, yummy. I can buy a huge bag of baby spinach, dump it in a saute pan with olive oil wilt it up until soft, and garlic, dump it all on some pasta with parm cheese, now that is good eating . Rutabagas roasting along side a nice beef roast, yummy, they absorb all the juices of the beef, double yummy. Cabbage, saute by itself with some butter, salt etc, throw caramelized onion in, a few strips of ham then all on to of noodles, yummy. Kale, love it in a salad raw or made into pesto, (kale pesto is kale, pecans, good olive oil, garlic and salt) use to fold into hot pasta, yummy. Parsnips is a nice added balance to soups that also use carrots.

all this and I am so hungry just thinking about this. got homemade humus in my car with come carrots. have to get them soon. Oh, yes, have you ever made carrot soup, or carrot quiche?

so much fun with veggies, love them all. I been to the East Indian Market, where unusual ones can be found, got involved with Tindora, really good with the spices suggested.

cucumber, no issues with those, love just to eat it raw. hate the mixing in with sour cream muck.

No one mentioned Lettuces, I don't buy Ice Burg, not worth my time due to no nutrition compared to Roamaine.

Ad

Advertisements

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Might try it, Esther! I prefer Romanie cooked! Yummy!

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question