Most hated veg(s)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Today, there is a newspaper article about most hated vegetable(s). Wonder if you have any pet hate.

For me, I really don't like cooked spinach! Slimy and no flavour. What is/are your pet hate(s)? Please share your experience and let us know more about your!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Spinach loses a lot of the sliminess and weird mouth-feel if you really squeeze all the water out of it ;) I love the stuff, especially in a curry :)

To be honest I struggle to think of a vegetable I don't like! In the past there have been things I haven't enjoyed, but it has always been down to how it's prepared. I used to think I didn't like kale, until I had it raw in a salad with a dressing that you rub into the leaves - the acidity causes the leaves to wilt down and it's delicious! I'm not a fan of raw onions but love them cooked. Can't really think of anything I hate no matter how it's prepared... odd, because I used to be a real fuss-pot when I was a kid!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Spinach loses a lot of the sliminess and weird mouth-feel if you really squeeze all the water out of it ;) I love the stuff, especially in a curry :)

/QUOTE]
I love Spinach!! raw baby spinach in my mixed salad, and cooked well drained Spinach in my cheese omelette
smlicklips.gif

I really cannot stomach Asparagus or Mustard leaves
smnono.gif

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I don't mind raw baby spinach, but cooked ones have no flavour. I love raw onion in a kebab, but got worried when I wonder why I was given sooooo much donar kebab meat and the very thought makes me ill. Haven't had it for 2 years now.

When I buy asparagus, I feel posh - I am that pretentious! But the tips taste foul while the short stems are OK.

I dislike Rutabaga, too. Should be banned as I nearly cut myself cutting it and it is tasteless!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I love almost all vegetables but I can't stomach parsnips. There is something about the texture and taste that just makes me gag.
I'll have to try kale. Since it became a "fad" green here in the States, I've avoided it (just being perverse!), but I'll give it a try soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Get out of town... you get to eat cucumber once and then burp it's bouquet for hours :)

@Owdboggy I avoid garlic as well. I deal with clients face to face and would not subject them to next day garlic. It could lose me jobs. They might worry about their beautiful fabric being contaminated. ..

@marlingardener parsnips are good in stews. They disintegrate and add a pungent flavour.

I think I dislike eggplant. Had a Greek dish with it and it was slimey ... yuk

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Rutabagas are lovely pressure cooked, mashed with butter and a touch of brown sugar. .at least ours are flavourful. .. you either like them or you don't. .

Brussels sprouts and beans are great for revenge... the other half gets silly, have those for supper and you can sing to them all night :ROFLMAO:
And you don't get bunged up :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love cucumbers!...too bad I developed an allergy and now I can't eat them anymore
smsad.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Veg, one of the greats of cooking and eating. Sadly most vegs are over cooked, boiled etc. As Spinach just needs to be scolded. Cabbage and the brassica family, gently bring to the boil then cut the gas and simmer, just keeping the stuff warm. Root veg vary, but again. Don't boil the guts out of them. Swede are a hard woody type root veg. This requires a bit longer, gradually bring to the boil the simmer testing the softness from time to time. Parsnips. Forget parsnips until they have been subjected to a good hard frost. These are best cooke alomg with roast spuds, and or brushed with honey. If cooled right, they are about the best flavoured root veg going. Garlic. You like it or hate it. Medicinally it's good for you............little and often. Hows that for the gardener in the kitchen. Enjoy and eat well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
When I was young Brussel sprouts on the table would make me gag to the point of vomiting. Now I love them. Same with asparagus. I really can’t think of a vegetable I don’t like now.

Ask a Question