Molasses the wonder drug

Reaction score
Country
United States
It turns out this is pseudo-science. At least what I have been able to find so far leans that direction. The claims are greatly exaggerated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It turns out this is pseudo-science. At least what I have been able to find so far leans that direction. The claims are greatly exaggerated.
Using and reading it about are two different things, and it depends on who wrote what little reading you have done. There have been quite a few scientific studies that prove the benefits of molasses, from universities to independents. to commercial farms. Do a little more reading

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The basic rule of thumb is to mix about 2 oz per gallon of water and either use a watering can or a hose end sprayer and apply enough to get the soil wet but not soaked. Let the rain deliver it deep.

should be applied whenever you add more organic matter to your soil or when you make aerated compost tea.

I put it in my compost tea at the rate of 1 oz per 5 gallon bucket and I water my plants with the tea.

When using molasses to spray foliage as a deterrent to insects in my experience every 14 days is a little too long. In my climate where it gets warmer earlier I find that about every 10 days works better especially during the heat of summer.

Chuck, what is the ratio of molasses to water used to spray foliage? :unsure:

Use the before mentioned mixture (*from the website ChanellG mentioned - 1/4 to 1 cup to a gallon of water) in the drip system, or sprayed alongside the roots of fruiting vegetables as they start to flower to increase their flowering and fruiting.

I've been using Sorghum molasses for years on house plants and in my veg garden , I use 2 tbsp per gal of water.

:oops: :whistle: Sorry for all the quoting, but I have mentally bookmarked this thread, and I like all my how-tos neatly organized so I can find them when I need them. :geek: :LOL:

My new part time job is at a farm store, and I asked a co-worker if we sold molasses. We don't have it in the plants section, but we do have it in two other locations. It is in the livestock section, to be used as a treat for horses and cattle. It is also in the hunting section, to bait deer. ( :eek: And bear and feral hogs, oh my!!)

The one intended for livestock was priced higher than the one for hunting, and they had the exact same ingredients! (I don't remember what they wanted for a gallon of either, just that the bait one was on sale for $6.99 a gallon.) My co-worker, (who owns horses,) was moderately outraged. :wideyed: I tried to explain to her the strategy behind it, generally people will pay more for a luxury for a pet than they will an accessory for a hobby, especially when there are so many things used to bait deer. She was having none of it. I'm sure we both walked away thinking, "Well, if I buy that, I'm buying the one for deer!" :hilarious:

On a whim, I called my local feed store. When I asked if they sold it by the gallon, the woman told me, "We sure do, just bring in a jug, and we'll fill it for you." Um...what? :confused: (I asked more questions!!) Apparently they have it in a big barrel, and they sell it for $5 a gallon, just bring your own jug!! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, what is the ratio of molasses to water used to spray foliage? :unsure:

:oops: :whistle: Sorry for all the quoting, but I have mentally bookmarked this thread, and I like all my how-tos neatly organized so I can find them when I need them. :geek: :LOL:

My new part time job is at a farm store, and I asked a co-worker if we sold molasses. We don't have it in the plants section, but we do have it in two other locations. It is in the livestock section, to be used as a treat for horses and cattle. It is also in the hunting section, to bait deer. ( :eek: And bear and feral hogs, oh my!!)

The one intended for livestock was priced higher than the one for hunting, and they had the exact same ingredients! (I don't remember what they wanted for a gallon of either, just that the bait one was on sale for $6.99 a gallon.) My co-worker, (who owns horses,) was moderately outraged. :wideyed: I tried to explain to her the strategy behind it, generally people will pay more for a luxury for a pet than they will an accessory for a hobby, especially when there are so many things used to bait deer. She was having none of it. I'm sure we both walked away thinking, "Well, if I buy that, I'm buying the one for deer!" :hilarious:

On a whim, I called my local feed store. When I asked if they sold it by the gallon, the woman told me, "We sure do, just bring in a jug, and we'll fill it for you." Um...what? :confused: (I asked more questions!!) Apparently they have it in a big barrel, and they sell it for $5 a gallon, just bring your own jug!! :ROFLMAO:
For foliar spray I use 2 oz per gallon of water. In fact I use 2 oz per gallon on everything as I find it much simpler to remember. I really don't know if you can use too much. I use 6 oz per gallon on getting rid of nutsedge though. On compost tea I use 1 oz per 5 gallon bucket because molasses really makes micro-organisms reproduce at a tremendous rate and any more than that, in the Texas summer, the tea will go anaerobic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

I used the blackstrap molasses from the grocery store. I got busy and haven't been as active in the garden... I was actually just wondering about the shelf life of the stuff that I have a couple days ago.

I was mainly using it as a foliar spray since I also had some John's Recipe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used the blackstrap molasses from the grocery store. I got busy and haven't been as active in the garden... I was actually just wondering about the shelf life of the stuff that I have a couple days ago.

I was mainly using it as a foliar spray since I also had some John's Recipe.
It's like honey. I don't think it has a shelf life

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Is anyone seriously going to tell me that:
1) Dilute molasses isn't going to feed soil bacteria?
2) Molasses is easily digestible by pests?
3) Molasses is not an essential in bacterial actively aerated compost tea, of which I, myself, have seen the benefits?

Ask a Question