Molasses the wonder drug

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Molasses horticulture use is right up there with up-side-down tomato planters, vertical potato growing in tires, drip watering, growing celery in water, tooth fairies, shamrock plants, and spooks. Shake thy head folks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Molasses horticulture use is right up there with up-side-down tomato planters, vertical potato growing in tires, drip watering, growing celery in water, tooth fairies, shamrock plants, and spooks. Shake thy head folks.
Well, having used it side by side with numerous plant types and varieties I can attest that it does work. I have no photos, fudged, photoshopped or otherwise to show you. You have preconceived notions and no matter what you refuse to come off of your high horse even when shown. Your act is getting old quick dude.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So, molasses acts like a plant food? Or more like a supplement to help plants absorb nutrients? How often do you use it in the garden? Is it just for the jumpstart in spring or should it be reapplied on a regular basis? Is there any drawback? Can you use too much of it? (I too worry about ants, but if you say so...)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So, molasses acts like a plant food? Or more like a supplement to help plants absorb nutrients? How often do you use it in the garden? Is it just for the jumpstart in spring or should it be reapplied on a regular basis? Is there any drawback? Can you use too much of it? (I too worry about ants, but if you say so...)
Molasses does not do anything directly for plants. Molasses stimulates the growth of soil microbes and bacteria in the soil although molasses does contain a small amount of nitrogen and minerals. The microbes are what break down the organic matter in the soil and that in turn feeds the plants. One does not need to use molasses on a continuing regular basis, but should be applied whenever you add more organic matter to your soil or when you make aerated compost tea. When applying directly to the soil you should use about 2 oz per gallon of water. In aerated compost 1-2 oz per 5 gallon bucket.

Molasses has just now, in the last few years, began to be used commercially in large scale soil remediation projects such as toxic waste dump sites and in instances of contaminated ground water where the soil was leaching heavy metals and other contaminates into water supplies. Before this it was used to rejuvenate burned out farmland which was caused by the overuse of chemical fertilizers which left a large mineral salt buildup which drastically curtailed production.

And no, ants will not be a problem

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The idea that fungal and bacterial do not grow as they invert sugar probably means that Durgan does not believe in beer.

Perhaps last summer my plants reacted with a placebo effect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Molasses has just now, in the last few years, began to be used commercially in large scale soil remediation projects such as toxic waste dump sites and in instances of contaminated ground water where the soil was leaching heavy metals and other contaminates into water supplies. Before this it was used to rejuvenate burned out farmland which was caused by the overuse of chemical fertilizers which left a large mineral salt buildup which drastically curtailed production.

This for me is the most interesting part. I am always concerned about what might be in the soil, especially post Katrina. A lot of people have just put in raised beds, but what ever is in the soil beneath those beds is seeping into the water table. If molasses can help get rid of toxins I will use it everywhere! (My other concern is what they neighbors might be spraying...)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The idea that fungal and bacterial do not grow as they invert sugar probably means that Durgan does not believe in beer.

Perhaps last summer my plants reacted with a placebo effect.

You're using beer in your garden, Bees? Or were you referring about the process of making the beer itself? On a side note, perhaps the members of this forum would be better served by not believing in (and not responding to) Durgan.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you use household molasses what amount would you use per gallon of water. Has the use of molasses help repair the damage caused by the toxic waste dumping in the situations you mentioned or is ittoo soon to tell?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you use household molasses what amount would you use per gallon of water. Has the use of molasses help repair the damage caused by the toxic waste dumping in the situations you mentioned or is ittoo soon to tell?

He covered that in the beginning, Pat. The amount is two ounces of horticultural molasses per gallon of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Just read this:

Blackstrap molasses is also commonly used in horticulture as a flower blooming and fruiting enhancer, particularly in organic hydroponics. Use the before mentioned mixture in the drip system, or sprayed alongside the roots of fruiting vegetables as they start to flower to increase their flowering and fruiting.

Found here: http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/milk-and-molasses-magic-zbcz1402.aspx

Molasses is now on my shopping list! Thanks, @Chuck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just read this:

Blackstrap molasses is also commonly used in horticulture as a flower blooming and fruiting enhancer, particularly in organic hydroponics. Use the before mentioned mixture in the drip system, or sprayed alongside the roots of fruiting vegetables as they start to flower to increase their flowering and fruiting.

Found here: http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/milk-and-molasses-magic-zbcz1402.aspx

Molasses is now on my shopping list! Thanks, @Chuck!
That is just one of hundreds of web sites that prove molasses works. But......molasses is Not an instant fix, nor is it an every day thing that you add to your gardening regime. A good shot of molasses as a soil drench once a month is plenty. Myself, I put it in my compost tea at the rate of 1 oz per 5 gallon bucket and I water my plants with the tea. I try to keep a small amount available to the fungi and bacteria at all times.

Ask a Question