Molasses as fertilizer, what kind, when, and how to use

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I searched GF for prior conversations regarding using molasses as fertilizer and didn't get any hits, although i know it has been mentioned in some threads. I was surprised because i frequently tap prior threads for other topics and end up with a few to many prior conversations related to whatever topic.

I wonder how many gardeners here use molasses as a fertilizer? and if you use dry or wet, what kind, when and how. It is a super source of Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Iron, and Magnesium. I have been using the liquid (viscus) form, organic and unsulphured, but i really don't know how best to use it, and i wonder if there are some advantages of the dry form vs. the liquid form, and if dry molasses is available in unsulphured, and if that matters.

I sure there is a better way to use molasses than what i am doing so i am really searching for ideas of how best to utilize it and in what form, how much, how often, etc. I am working with a small garden (not 40 acres). I just finished throwing some molasses around (one ounce molasses to about a gallon of water, although i don't really measure) and it became obvious that i don't know what i am doing. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I searched GF for prior conversations regarding using molasses as fertilizer and didn't get any hits, although i know it has been mentioned in some threads. I was surprised because i frequently tap prior threads for other topics and end up with a few to many prior conversations related to whatever topic.

I wonder how many gardeners here use molasses as a fertilizer? and if you use dry or wet, what kind, when and how. It is a super source of Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Iron, and Magnesium. I have been using the liquid (viscus) form, organic and unsulphured, but i really don't know how best to use it, and i wonder if there are some advantages of the dry form vs. the liquid form, and if dry molasses is available in unsulphured, and if that matters.

I sure there is a better way to use molasses than what i am doing so i am really searching for ideas of how best to utilize it and in what form, how much, how often, etc. I am working with a small garden (not 40 acres). I just finished throwing some molasses around (one ounce molasses to about a gallon of water, although i don't really measure) and it became obvious that i don't know what i am doing. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Molasses has very little if any NPK. I think about 1% nitrogen. What molasses does is add carbohydrates which helps feed soil microbes which in turn helps a plant uptake NPK. It makes it easier on the plant to feed itself which in turn makes for faster growth. I have used molasses for years, both as a soil drench to kill nutsedge to just fortifying the soil. I have used it on side by side experiments and have found it to be very effective. I use it at the rate of 2 oz per gallon of water as a drench and 2 oz per 5 gallon bucket for compost tea. It works. Please don't listen nay sayers who have never used it and have only read online articles. There are literally 100's of positive articles and maybe a dozen of negatives. Try it yourself. Molasses is cheap

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Chuck thank you for your input, i have just started to use it as a soil drench to fortify the soil and also to add some natural iron for plants with yellowing leaves (that have not been a result of over watering). It is a modest source of iron, but i have had success using it so i do not listen to the "nay sayers" and in fact @Durgan is the only person from whom i have heard negative comments. It sounds like i need to add another oz to my drench mix and also use a milder mix for compost tea. Do you use liquid or dry molasses? and do you think it would be beneficial to add at the bottom of a transplant hole? I do not rely on molasses as a source of nitrogen, but i think i will start using it in my compost bins. Ah, i notice now your thread of 2014 "Molasses the wonder drug" and will take a look at that. Funny it did not come up when i searched.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Chuck, Oh yes, that was a good thread on molasses in (2014 before my time). At first i was hesitant about the possibility of attracting ants, which i really do not want to do, so before starting to use molasses i experimented in a few locations with no response from the ants. I agree that molasses is very tasty :) I do not hesitate because i've been purchasing food grade but i think the soil needs it more than i do. I responded to your initial post above and am pretty sure i posted it, but now it has disappeared. This happens to me sometimes and i think perhaps Admin has taken the post to review. Does that seem right? I've had this happen a few times and thinking that i forgot to post the reply, i write another response. Later i find 2 responses posted and need to delete one. I hope it will show up, i'll give it some time. At any rate, i do not listen to the "nay sayers", and i appreciate your comments. It looks like i am using it properly but will add another ounce to the soil soak mix. I wonder if it would be beneficial to add to the soil at the bottom of a transplant hole? Ah ha, now the first reply post has shown up in the thread. This can be rather disconcerting and i will ask about it in the proper forum

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck thank you for your input, i have just started to use it as a soil drench to fortify the soil and also to add some natural iron for plants with yellowing leaves (that have not been a result of over watering). It is a modest source of iron, but i have had success using it so i do not listen to the "nay sayers" and in fact @Durgan is the only person from whom i have heard negative comments. It sounds like i need to add another oz to my drench mix and also use a milder mix for compost tea. Do you use liquid or dry molasses? and do you think it would be beneficial to add at the bottom of a transplant hole? I do not rely on molasses as a source of nitrogen, but i think i will start using it in my compost bins. Ah, i notice now your thread of 2014 "Molasses the wonder drug" and will take a look at that. Funny it did not come up when i searched.
I only use the liquid because it is so humid here in the summer that the dry molasses literally solidify and turn into concrete. I can see no problem with putting it into the bottom of a transplant hole.

Ask a Question