Molasses the wonder drug

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The bump in this thread reminds me I need to spray again. Also, at my new job yesterday, my manager told me someone she met swears by molasses for getting orchids to rebloom. I found that interesting, but since orchids are watered so infrequently I don't see how molasses in the water would have much effect as a flower promoting plant food.

@Chuck, any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My husband used to watch the farming tv program in the early morning every Sunday. One time I glanced at the tv and saw the documentary while the host was narrating about the benefit of molasses for the garden. It hastens the composting so the fertilizer can be harvested faster. My husband added that molasses is the favorite of earthworms and it is really good for enriching the soil.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have never used molasses as fertilizer for plants.I use molasses as animal feed though. When cattle are given molasses regularly,they give more milk or meat.
I was not aware that molasses can be used to improve soil condition and give vital nutrients to plants. By the way I use cattle dung and urine to improve soil condition.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never used molasses as fertilizer for plants.I use molasses as animal feed though. When cattle are given molasses regularly,they give more milk or meat.
I was not aware that molasses can be used to improve soil condition and give vital nutrients to plants. By the way I use cattle dung and urine to improve soil condition.
Molasses does not act as a fertilizer although it does have a very small amount of nitrogen. It is full of trace minerals however. What it does is supply a food source for the micro-organisms in the soil thus greatly multiplying the bacterial and fungal activities that are necessary for fertile soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never heard this before. If what you say is true, it could revive my backyard. Thanks for the good information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never heard this before. If what you say is true, it could revive my backyard. Thanks for the good information.
It's true. There is a LOT of info online about this. Many, many hay growers use molasses as a stimulant for growing grass, which hay is. They use between 4 and 7 gallons per acre. Anything more than that leads to diminishing returns. For the basic lawn apply about 2-4 oz per gallon of water no more than twice a year. It works but don't believe me. Look it up yourself. I have been using it for years both as a soil drench and as an ingredient in compost tea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've been using Sorghum molasses for years on house plants and in my veg garden , I use 2 tbsp per gal of water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First time I have heard molasses referred to as a wonder drug, but sure. I'm not sure of the science to back this up though. I might try and see if it gets results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, I learned something new today. I absolutely love this site! Who knew molasses did all these wonderful things for our lawns and gardens, and for animals too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Molasses wow! I would put that in the category of who knew? It is something I have never heard of using before, but I imagine it would work. I just think that it would be great to use because it is organic, and it would not be harmful to any animals, or the soil. I will try some of that the next time I am planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...Myself, I put it in my compost tea at the rate of 1 oz per 5 gallon bucket and I water my plants with the tea. I try to keep a small amount available to the fungi and bacteria at all times.

This was so long ago that I probably asked already, but do you use a bubbler for your compost tea or do you just mixed by hand?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This was so long ago that I probably asked already, but do you use a bubbler for your compost tea or do you just mixed by hand?
I use 2 bubblers per 5 gallon bucket. The more air it gets the more potent it is as the micro organisms you are trying to multiply need plenty of oxygen. When you add molasses to the mix the numbers explode and if your're not careful there will be so many that they will literally suck all the oxygen out of the water and your bucket of tea will go anaerobic

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Molasses is abundant in my country because its a byproduct of sugarcane processing. Its mostly fed to animals and it contains myriads of minerals. Molasses is used as a culture medium for microorganisms necessary for soil fertility. I should add that liming the soil is a good intervention which releases alot of minerals held up by organic acids.

Ask a Question