Will wonders never cease!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
One escaped the great squirrel caper! Must have shot up fast because I just noticed it and it's already bigger than my hand. I had planned for this spot to be full of Calium, I think I put 6 or 8 vulva in this spot. One leaf is all I get, squirrels got the rest I assume, or maybe I'll get lucky and have a few more shoot up.
20170421_175019.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't think you meant to use the word, 'vulva', but I'm not complaining:ROFLMAO:

I also planted those plants a few years ago and most of them keep coming back and then go away in the winter.

When did you plant them?

I just noticed one of mine coming back yesterday, when it first emerges it starts out as a rolled up leaf, just like a banana plant. They always come back in a staggered fashion, so I wouldn't be surprised if you see more later on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No, no I did not! Haha, "bulbs" was the intended word there. They were planted in early March. We had a handful last year in a different location, but they have yet to return. I'm hoping these return for a few years anyway. Some places list them as annual and some say perennial. o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I really dislike the time limit on the edit feature of this forum! (n)

Yeah sorry about that! It's there so that spammers can't edit links into their posts once no-one is looking. Shame that it's needed, but that's the reason

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are approximately 20 species in the genus Caladium, a tuberous Aroid (Araceae) native to Central America and tropical South America. Most of the commonly cultivated forms are cultivars of Caladium bicolor.

The Caladium in the OP looks similar to the cultivar Caladium bicolor 'Red Flash', though usually there would be more white speckling.

Ask a Question