Mango seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Hi every one. I want to grow some mango seeds. Is it better to let them germinate in a plastic bag an then put them in soil or put them in soil from the beginning? What kind of soil works best for them? I have prepared a mixture of 50 percent cocopit, 15 percent perlite, 15 percent pit moss and 20 percent vermi composite. Is it good or should l do sth else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi every one. I want to grow some mango seeds. Is it better to let them germinate in a plastic bag an then put them in soil or put them in soil from the beginning? What kind of soil works best for them? I have prepared a mixture of 50 percent cocopit, 15 percent perlite, 15 percent pit moss and 20 percent vermi composite. Is it good or should l do sth else?
I would not do either. It is fine to germinate them in a bag but don't put them into the ground. Put them in a small container and when they are big enough, then put them in the ground. Your seed starting mix looks fine for starting seeds but you do not have anything with NPK except the vermi compost. Vermi compost has a low percentage of NPK per volume. This is fine for very young mangos but you will need a much higher NPK ratio as the tree grows.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Thanks a lot. I have containers of 20 cm diameter and 25 cm depth. Are they good to start ? Should I cover the containers to speed the process? How long can the plants stay in the same containers after germination?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks a lot. I have containers of 20 cm diameter and 25 cm depth. Are they good to start ? Should I cover the containers to speed the process? How long can the plants stay in the same containers after germination?
The larger the container the more difficult it is to maintain the correct moisture content. Germinating seeds in a plastic bag is OK but I would not do it because it can get too hot very easily. I would plant the seed in a seed starter container which is about 6cmx6cmx6cm, a little bigger or a little smaller is ok. I would keep them in this container until the plant had 2 sets of true leaves and then I would put the plant into the ground or into your 20cm container and let it grow there for a few months before transplanting it to its permanent home.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Growing mango seeds sounds like a cool project. For germination, it's usually recommended to start them in a plastic bag with a damp paper towel until you see roots sprouting. Then, you can transfer them to well-draining soil. Your soil mixture sounds pretty good with the cocopit, perlite, pit moss, and vermi compost. Just ensure it's not too compact and allows for proper drainage. Give it a go and keep an eye on those mango seedlings, they'll be worth the effort!

Ask a Question