Baby Mango Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all - I just moved to FL recently and wanted to try my hand at growing mangoes from seed. I know those will take a long while. They seem to be doing well enough. I also decided to buy a grafted tree from Puerto Rico. It was doing great until I had to bring it indoors for Hurricane Ian. The new leaves that had started coming in fell off. Recently I've had some more growth but the leaves look not good. Can anyone help with what might be wrong?

Attachments

• 299B5A97-BCFC-4DDF-88CC-D3293733E577.jpeg
    299B5A97-BCFC-4DDF-88CC-D3293733E577.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 28982FDD-AE33-48E0-B07C-DB1C21964B02.jpeg
    28982FDD-AE33-48E0-B07C-DB1C21964B02.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 97BF5084-2459-48E0-9153-A2EE87BBDAF6.jpeg
    97BF5084-2459-48E0-9153-A2EE87BBDAF6.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Usually, when this type of thing happens it is because of one or more of the following: Climatic conditions have changed. Either too much or too little water. A lack of nitrogen or other nutrients. In your case it appears from picture #1 that the soil is staying too wet as evidenced by the white fungus on the soil as shown growing close to the dead curled leaf. And, it also appears that the plant is lacking in nitrogen as shown by the solid yellowing of the leaves. With what and how often are you fertilizing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will be honest - not at all. I bought cactus, palm and citrus potting soil per suggestion of a neighbor. I planted them all about 3 months ago in the pots. I am a complete newbie at this. Can you share some guidance as to what to do to save my babies??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is this fungus though? The bag says it has Perlite which looks like those white things

Attachments

• 6781956E-9968-45A3-AFA1-5BB4AB54F8E8.jpeg
    6781956E-9968-45A3-AFA1-5BB4AB54F8E8.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 91F47B5D-4033-4DBB-B3F9-8F4BFD8747E6.jpeg
    91F47B5D-4033-4DBB-B3F9-8F4BFD8747E6.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is this fungus though? The bag says it has Perlite which looks like those white things
Does your pot have holes in the bottom? If not, repot into a container that does. Before you water again stick your index finger into the soil 2-3 inches deep. If you can feel or see moisture on your finger the plant does not need to be watered again. If it does need to be watered, water slowly until water starts to flow out of the bottom of the container or, and this is the best way to water, water from the bottom up. To do this put your plant into a wheelbarrow or bathtub and fill it with water until about 2/3 of the container is submerged and let it sit until water stands on the surface of the soil. Perlite is those white individual pieces of what look like foam particles. The fungus is that white stuff shown in pictures #2 and #4 that is comprised of much smaller pieces and is more of a solid mass. This fungus is not bad or harmful. In fact, it is a good sign, a sign of healthy soil. The fungus normally likes to grow on overly damp or wet surfaces. Having said all of this, I don't think that watering is the issue. This looks more like a nutrient deficiency. You said not at all. Does this mean never have your fertilized it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, the pots do have holes in them and I put a few rocks in the bottom to help with drainage before filling the pot. No, I have never fertilized. I guess I thought I'd be ok to not fertilize for the first few months. Do you have suggestions on a fertilizer and how often should I be doing it? Should I change the soil at any point or only when they get too big for the pot? TIA!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, the pots do have holes in them and I put a few rocks in the bottom to help with drainage before filling the pot. No, I have never fertilized. I guess I thought I'd be ok to not fertilize for the first few months. Do you have suggestions on a fertilizer and how often should I be doing it? Should I change the soil at any point or only when they get too big for the pot? TIA!
You should start fertilizing plants as soon as they have 2 or 3 sets of true leaves. I would use 2 different fertilizers. In Florida I believe the Espoma brand is readily available. I would use the liquid every 2 weeks and sprinkle a handful or two of the granulated dry fertilizer about once a month. You never need to change soil unless you have some soil born disease or some hard to kill soil dwelling insect severely damaging your plant. When you re-pot just add soil, not replace it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you! For the liquid is it just the all purpose? And for the dry just the tree-tone?
Yes, any of them will work fine. The difference in the names such as tree-tone, tomato tone etc are just marketing gimmicks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The leaves have turned yellow, there may be a lack of nutrients, some fungi have appeared, you need to change the soil to well-fertilized soil, and you need to water it daily.

Ask a Question