Mango Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all - new to growing mango trees. I have this little one was doing great and sprouted all new leaves and then that new growth just fell off and it looks like this. Also on a few of the other leaves some browness has appeared. I live in Central FL. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• 5232679E-41AC-4138-A9AE-3801830DD2FB.jpeg
    5232679E-41AC-4138-A9AE-3801830DD2FB.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 8763AB88-E86A-44B8-B72E-F7436CA7EB45.jpeg
    8763AB88-E86A-44B8-B72E-F7436CA7EB45.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like you are watering too often. Mangos prefer damp soil, not wet and a soaking every two days is too much. Probably once per week is sufficient. A lot depends on your growing medium and how much moisture it retains. What kind of soil is the plant in? A potting mix, a garden soil?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is in the Cactus, Palm, and Citrus potting mix. I thought the leaves getting brown tips was indicative of not water enough? I am a new plant mom and would really like to get this right!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is in the Cactus, Palm, and Citrus potting mix. I thought the leaves getting brown tips was indicative of not water enough? I am a new plant mom and would really like to get this right!
From the pictures I see the leaf edges or margins are starting to turn brown, a sign of staying too wet or too dry Leaf tips turning brown can be a sign of not enough water but you said you saturate the potting mix at least every 2 days. I can saturate my dirty socks and they will still be damp 2 days later. Potting mix is designed to retain moisture. Try watering once per week. How much direct sunlight does the plant receive? A mango requires, at the absolute minimum, at least 6 hours of DIRECT sunlight, preferably 8-10 hours. If it doesn't get the correct amount this can also cause leaves to drop. You are fertilizing too often too. A good rule of thumb for mangos is to fertilize the first day of each season, summer, fall, spring and winter. The fertilizer you are using is excellent but IMO plants are just like people. They don't like to eat the same thing everyday. I would alternate between two different fertilizers. The plant tone is alfalfa based. I would also use a manure based fertilizer such as Medina Growing Green which is poultry manure based. And don't forget to add micronutrients. About the best you can get is a product called Azomite. When I grew mangos decades ago there was no such thing as Azomite or Greensand so I had to use chemicals but, even the chemicals were lacking in efficiency, probably because of the soil the trees were growing in but today micro-nutrient deficiency is a thing of the past due to Azomite and Greensand.

Ask a Question