Please help me with my Mango tree

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Hello to all. This is my first post and i am here because of my Mango tree.
My mango has been stacked and not growing for a year. we had a bad winter last year and i thought that was the problem. but weather has been good for some time now.
I went to a local gardener shop and the gave me a product to spray called "MIDAN" i sprayed 2-3 times and the leaves are still like this. I have also applied 2-3 weeks ago firtilizer 20-20-20 in water. Also applied copper in water a couple of weeks ago.

What else can i do ?
my mango is 2 meters from my lemon tree if it matters. lemon tree is a bit older and bigger. Mango does get sunlight too though.

Attachments

• IMG_20230422_092542.jpg
    IMG_20230422_092542.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just done a little research, and I think this is grey leaf spot which is common in mango trees. The recent weather has not helped.
Spraying your tree as it is really will not help. It is a waste of time, and it seems that it's a matter of prevention being easier than cure.
If I were in your shoes, I would cut out any badly affected branches, and remove all of the leaves. Wipe the whole tree down with warm soapy water, and then apply a fungicide. Wait then to see if you have any new growth over the next few months, and feed and water your tree regularly.
Welcome to the forums @jidixe and good luck with your tree :)

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Thank you @Tetters

My tree is not that big. all leaves are affected. SHould i remove all !?

also the top of the branches where there is new growth, its black and sticky. cut those too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decisions, decisions... If it was for me to decide, I would be ruthless now, and cut away as much of the problem as possible, and I would remove and dispose of all the material including the leaves by burning. You need to make this decision yourself though, and do as you think.
Getting rid of as much of the problem to my mind would be worth it. You would then just need to see what mother nature can do to help. First a thorough clean up, and then a patient wait, whilst giving it some special care.
I would love to know what you decide, and how it all works out - don't forget to let us know, will you (y)

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Thank you @Tetters ,

since this is my only mango tree, at first i thought it was anthracosis (if i spell it correctly)..a local gardener told me , after i showed him the picture , that i over fertilized it. hmm

anyway,
i pruned almost all the edges since the buds where black and sticky.
i removed half the leaves, and soap cleaned the leaves and trunk.

i started fertilizing with 20-20-20 some time ago to help my mango, and its been a month almost since the last firtilization.
I think i will just leave it alone and not fertilize for some time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It will interest me very much to know if and when the new leaves start to grow. The leaves you have left on will still look the same, I don't know of a miracle cure for those, but it's the new leaves we need to watch for. I shall watch this space for some news - maybe in a couple of weeks or so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hello to all. This is my first post and i am here because of my Mango tree.
My mango has been stacked and not growing for a year. we had a bad winter last year and i thought that was the problem. but weather has been good for some time now.
I went to a local gardener shop and the gave me a product to spray called "MIDAN" i sprayed 2-3 times and the leaves are still like this. I have also applied 2-3 weeks ago firtilizer 20-20-20 in water. Also applied copper in water a couple of weeks ago.

What else can i do ?
my mango is 2 meters from my lemon tree if it matters. lemon tree is a bit older and bigger. Mango does get sunlight too though.
Neem oil may help.

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
@Tetters
mango1 - Copy.jpg

After the pruning it looked like it was going to recover some. I got some new growth. But unfortunately,
Growth stopped and it turned black and sticky as shown in the picture. (dont mind the pruning color, i placed some grafting mastic to protect from infections. but look at the buds)

I am at zone 10 if it matters and we are in the middle of summer and it should be blooming right now. Its been like this for 2 years now :(

any suggestions?
ps. i gave it some 20-20-20 fertilizer, in water, and a table spoon of iron some weeks ago.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is disappointing to see this, but I really think it would be best now to destroy the tree and all the debris from it by burning. The area needs to be totally cleaned in case the infection spreads to other trees. Better safe than sorry.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Maybe it would help you a bit if you have a look at the link. Hopefully you can see something there I haven't thought of.
I was hoping someone else here might be able to make a few comments too.
It would worry me though to keep the tree - I have to say what I would do if in your shoes. We all have gardening disappointments, but it's always the best way to learn and get it right next time :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That was my biggest fear. I'm not sure, but I think it might be a notifiable issue? As you say, the black sticky new growth looks bad.
Is it true that growing Mangoes is a relatively new business in Cyprus? It seems that all kinds of fungus are a problem there.

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
That was my biggest fear. I'm not sure, but I think it might be a notifiable issue? As you say, the black sticky new growth looks bad.
Is it true that growing Mangoes is a relatively new business in Cyprus? It seems that all kinds of fungus are a problem there.

yes, from what i gathered growing mangos here is new. I just like the mango as a plant and thats why i planted it in my garden.

I have read about anthracosis or whatever is called...i will try to find copper fungicide and try it out. Those black spots and sticky substance that i have on my mango maybe its related,
At this point it doesnt hurt to try anything new. I will search for copper fungicide..

Ask a Question