Newbie help for my new mangoes? Please and thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello there!

I'm new to this forum and also to growing mangoes. This is my third attempt at growing from seed, as I was sent a heap of mangoes from a friend who lives down further south from me and her family grows fresh mangoes (I live in North Florida). I am unsure of the type of mangoes they are, however, I got the seeds growing in a wet paper towel/plastic baggie combination for about a month. I planted them in regular potting mix (miracle grow) around 8/27/15. Boy have they grown! The collage picture is their progress in just six days! (Collage picture showing growth and all others taken this afternoon).

This morning, however, I noticed that the leaves of one of my plants are starting to curl and have slight burn marks, and I can see little white bugs/things on the underside of the leaves. (See pictures.)

Has anyone else had this problem and know what I should do? Should I cut the browned/curled leaves off? What do I do about the white stuff? Where I live it gets between 80-90 degrees per day, more or less. I haven't watered thoroughly since I first planted because we've been getting plenty of rain. The pots have small rocks in the bottom to help drain water. Should I maybe drill/cut a few more holes in the bottom of the pots? Or repot? I noticed some of the roots are escaping through drainage holes. Mainly on the plant with curled leaves. They are outside, under my roof to avoid excess rain, and get sunshine for most of the day until early evening.

Please help! Any advice would be appreciated. Because my previous attempts have failed... I would really love to see these grow into hardy trees!

Attachments

• CYMERA_20150908_172228.jpg
    CYMERA_20150908_172228.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 359
  • 20150908_175553.jpg
    20150908_175553.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 384
  • 20150908_175630_HDR.jpg
    20150908_175630_HDR.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 20150908_175730.jpg
    20150908_175730.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 20150908_175737.jpg
    20150908_175737.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 314
  • 20150908_175746.jpg
    20150908_175746.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 384
  • 20150908_175823.jpg
    20150908_175823.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 387
  • 20150908_175834.jpg
    20150908_175834.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 355
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! Great to have you here (y)

Unfortunately I live in the wrong climate to know about growing mangoes, but I'm sure someone else here will be able to help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have mangoes and we have encountered almost all sorts of mango tree pests. That insect is a flyer, meaning it can be a bug or a moth that laid the eggs in the young leaf of your mango. If you cannot clean the leaf of the eggs, you might as well remove the infected part. As with the prevention, I am not sure because it might be the wrong insect. But you can try spraying the mango with a mix of 1 cup of water and 2 drops of liquid dishwashing soap. Spray it on the mango tree and leave for 5 minutes before rinsing with water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have mangoes and we have encountered almost all sorts of mango tree pests. That insect is a flyer, meaning it can be a bug or a moth that laid the eggs in the young leaf of your mango. If you cannot clean the leaf of the eggs, you might as well remove the infected part. As with the prevention, I am not sure because it might be the wrong insect. But you can try spraying the mango with a mix of 1 cup of water and 2 drops of liquid dishwashing soap. Spray it on the mango tree and leave for 5 minutes before rinsing with water.

Thank you so much for the advice! I went ahead and removed the burned/damaged leaves as close to the stem as I could without cutting the stem. And also tried the soap and rise method for the remaining leaves, and gave the soil a good drench. How often would you suggest doing this if the problem persists?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Great to have you here (y)

Unfortunately I live in the wrong climate to know about growing mangoes, but I'm sure someone else here will be able to help.

Thank you for your welcome! :) I'm glad I've actually gotten a few responses. The other forum I tried hasn't been so helpful. Hopefully this will work out better!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If there really are problems, either with fungi or with insects Neem will fix either. I don't know much about mangoes but it does make me wonder a little as to why the leaves are a bronze color. I know there are different varieties of Mangoes, some with less than bright green leaves. Maybe someone can explain this also

Reaction score
Country
United States
If there really are problems, either with fungi or with insects Neem will fix either. I don't know much about mangoes but it does make me wonder a little as to why the leaves are a bronze color. I know there are different varieties of Mangoes, some with less than bright green leaves. Maybe someone can explain this also

With mangoes I have sprouted in the past, that unfortunately have died, most likely due to bugs or disease, most of the leaves have a really pretty green reddish tint to them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With mangoes I have sprouted in the past, that unfortunately have died, most likely due to bugs or disease, most of the leaves have a really pretty green reddish tint to them.
If that be the case all I can think of is a lack of photosynthesis. And if that is the case what is your growing medium. I don't think it is a lack of nutrients but possibly an inability of the plant to uptake what is needed. IMO if you were to go to a compost tea feeding and foliar regime you would see a drastic change

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Thank you so much for the advice! I went ahead and removed the burned/damaged leaves as close to the stem as I could without cutting the stem. And also tried the soap and rise method for the remaining leaves, and gave the soil a good drench. How often would you suggest doing this if the problem persists?

The liquid dish washing soap therapy is once a week only. More often than that may damage the plant so be careful in overdoing that. But if the plant is small (not a tree) you can apply the treatment every other day but not directly on the plant, only in the surroundings near the plant. The smell of the soap will drive away the pests.

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Hello!

Can somebody help me please what's happening with my mango tree now. I cultivate it from seed in a pot on my window sill. During the growth process something white began to appear. And now it seems that something eats it, because the leaves look damaged. I tried to use a spray from aphids but it's still there. How to get rid of them and how to care the tree to restore it?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 270

Ask a Question