Make your own planters

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw on TV that you can make your own light weight planters using cement, moss and perlite.

I want to make my own containers just to give some interest to the yard and to be different. I found this recipe to use if anyone is wants to play in the mud.

Basic Hypertufa How-To
1. Choose mold: Make a mold from two nested vessels, so you can pour the mixture in the space between them. Both should have sides that are straight or taper out; the gap between them should be at least 3/4 inch for smaller vessels and 1 1/2 inches for larger ones.

2. Mix materials: Wearing gloves and a dust mask, mix equal parts white Portland cement (gray can be substituted for nontinted vessels), perlite, and peat moss in a large bin; stir in masonry stain if desired. Add water gradually to reach the desired consistency.

3. Fill mold: Coat vessels with mold-release spray. Pour mixture into the outer mold to a 1-inch depth for smaller vessels or a 2-inch depth for larger ones. Set interior mold inside, centering it (you can fill it with sand to steady it). Continue adding mixture between vessels. Tap exterior with a rubber mallet to minimize bubbles. Cover with plastic; let set.

4. Finish hypertufa: After removing mold, drill holes into the bottom of pot using a masonry bit, for drainage; smooth the top edge of pot with a planer file. Wrap it with plastic, and let cure for several weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have made these, couple things a little different then above are I added fiberglass fiber material for added stability (available at masonary supply store) and used wood dowels (wrapped with saranwrap stuff for removal) to make drain holes without drilling later. Mine aren't pretty, but they work for things like succulents.

Reaction score
Awesome recipe! I booked it :) This sounds like a very funny and cheap way to make my own pots, but I guess you can't grow edibles in these? I'm just guessing because of the cement. Still a very nice tip!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Sounds great! Thank you for sharing this guide, Pat:) I think I'll give it a try. I've spent the last two weeks looking for a nice container for my biggest miniature rose. Most of them are too expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
As I mentioned not pretty but they work (They have been outside exposed to weather here in New England year round for 3 years or so and haven't broken or failed yet, blizzards or near hurricane conditions at times)

The Lewisia and Ice plants (Delosperma) are new this year , the others are some sort of hens and chickens and have been around for the duration.

Attachments

• hyper1.jpg
    hyper1.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 313
  • hyper2.jpg
    hyper2.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 310
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm wondering all the different ways you can make homemade planters. Planters in the store are so expensive and they aren't even sturdy or pretty! I'm going to do some research on that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have seen almost everything - recycled in to planters...even old tool boxes, toilets, bathtubs and 2 or 5 gallon buckets.

I have used left over lumber, even the regular stuff will hold up for a few years, pressure treated or hardwood - even longer. Same with left over metal building/roofing scraps. Stones and boulders can be interesting and the neighbors two houses down have used downed tree limbs sawn in to random lengths and set on end in a trench around their porch and foundations as a border.

Best of luck on your project planters!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a wonderful recipe to try to make unique planters! It is kind of nice to have one of a kind, and I can see myself going crazy by adding decorated things to the planters :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the idea of adding the dole wrapped in saranwrap for the drain holes. I hope everyone that plans to try making their own pots has as much fun as I plan to have making mine. I will get some colored glass to decorate the pots when I make them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
OH! I totally forgot a project I wanted to do and this reminded me. We have an old length of gutter underneath the back of the house and I wanted to mount it on the fence and use it for herbs. I just need to figure out the best way to mount it without my boyfriend have a conniption fit. Oh, I think I just channeled my grandmother again. I open my mouth (or move my fingers in this case) and she comes out.

Ask a Question