4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
They also are very strict on building codes, not just the actual building but the placement and style. Has to visually compliment the historic quality of the area. Save the space also benefits present owners by keeping value of our property when we sell. It is wonderful to drive past open rolling hills and vast open farms /country sides..

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Here in the UK Esther things are a bit different; the whole of the UK is tiny compared to the vastness of like Australia or The United States. Large family homes are now built on postage sized plots in small private estates; land here is precious and commands high prices; our bungalow was built around 1964 on a very generous sloping plot; our rear garden could be converted into a single dwelling building plot; immediately next door the previous owners converted their rear garden building a detached four bedroomed house on it then they sold the new house and the bungalow they lived in to move to Cyprus. As the new house they were building neared completion I arrived home one day to have Bron inform me a local estate agent had phoned Bron asking when it would be convenient to view OUR bungalow; Bron hadn't a clue about this then these neighbours started to pester Bron trying to buy our garden at a very low price. Having built a detached house in Cyprus these ex neighbours were then very upset because another family built a house near them so they sold the house in Cyprus and moved back to the UK; an elderly gentleman lived at the end of our street and they badgered him offering a very low price for his detached bungalow and they kept pestering him; the gentleman sadly died and they got his bungalow; having then updated the bungalow they sold it to move round the corner where they still live; money is their God and they will never know true happiness; having been so selfish and greedy building and grabbing they are now worse off than when they started. Serves them right.

Bron and I prefer to look up the garden and see the wildlife than sell the garden just to have more money; we have everything we want or need but if we ever do move obviously we'll convert the garden into a building plot currently valued at around £90,000.

Large parts of Huddersfield and Huddersfield Town are dumps resulting in Huddersfield being voted worst place to live in the UK but where we live it's very nice indeed with panoramic views across and along the valley; at the bottom of the lane turning right heads towards Huddersfield but turn left and we're in delightful countryside. We could never live in a town or anywhere we couldn't have some land around us.

If anyone submits plans to build a new home they invite lots of trouble from the planning office and those who live nearby ; our bungalow is built on what was farmland so how could we object to others wishing to build a home; the objectors to new building I'm sure don't live in a cave or up a tree but yet they object to others wanting to build; it's the same with mobile phone masts; most of our neighbours own and use mobile phones but no mast around here please? Hypocrites the lot of them. One law for them another law for others; we now live in very selfish and greedy times.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
True if you look up a map, the UK barely covers only 1/2 the length of our California.

But, its all about location. I have relatives that live in near LA, California, its very dense there, they own a $800.00 house on a small plot with a 10 pace depth back space, so close to their neighbor that you can see what folks had for breakfast. Not a way I would live either. then there are other states that houses sit on vast acres with no neighbors in sight. Each state also has their own way of taxing items, property and income, that is another interesting thing. People also chose where to live based on Home Insurance costs, as in many areas in Florida the home insurance cost can be almost $10,000.00 a year due to flooding or storms.
On the flip side, taxes in New York are so high people have been moving out to avoid living there, there for, they have had to change things to get folks to move back.

Few years ago we roamed around West Virginia, the cost of living was so low. We could build a mansion there for very little, compared.

There are maps that outline cost of living in what states etc. Best places to retire, which state will not tax pensions etc. Its interesting. For now, my state falls into the middle area, not to high, and not to low. Not worth the moving anyway when we retire.

Where I live, yes, I have so much privacy, its wonderful, but close enough to neighbors for safety, or assistance. As when we go on vacation, my next door neighbor will help with the cats, he is only 200 paces from my deck.

I guess, @Colin your area goes with what the Market will bare.

Ask a Question