Maiden hair fern

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Boston ferns are way easier! You just have to water them and make sure they get a little sunlight. They also help clean the air. My mom has one that has long over grown it's container. I have been wanting to separate it, but one day she will say "go for it," and then when you mention it again she'll say "don't mess with my plants."

Reaction score
Boston ferns are way easier! You just have to water them and make sure they get a little sunlight. They also help clean the air. My mom has one that has long over grown it's container. I have been wanting to separate it, but one day she will say "go for it," and then when you mention it again she'll say "don't mess with my plants."
That sounds like my mom too.. LOL :) However, my mom was never anything of a gardener. She was one of those finicky people who never touched the soil. She was happy when we harvested stuff from the garden and gave it to her. I don't think she grew anything all her life. I am not sure though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My mom is practically a farmer! Currently she has ten fruit trees, including avocado and citrus, several squash plants, strawberries, peppers, two grape vines, eggplants, a bunch of different herbs, multiple aloes, as well as several foliage only or non-food producing flowering plants. Her zucchini is not doing well though, they seem to be experiencing blossom end rot, at least that's what she thinks it is.

Reaction score
Wow! she is indeed! My dad was one.. he had all kinds of fruit and nuts growing at home.. which my brother inherited and managed to kill successfully. I have had similar problems with zucchini.. there would be hundred of flowers but they would never mature into fruit..the baby fruit would just yellow and fall off.. I have stopped trying to grow zucchinis now.. I thought it was due to the heat though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow! she is indeed! My dad was one.. he had all kinds of fruit and nuts growing at home.. which my brother inherited and managed to kill successfully. I have had similar problems with zucchini.. there would be hundred of flowers but they would never mature into fruit..the baby fruit would just yellow and fall off.. I have stopped trying to grow zucchinis now.. I thought it was due to the heat though.

I learned today that there are male and female flowers. The male ones bloom first and then you have to use a paintbrush to pollinate the females unless you have lots of pollinators in your garden. If I were growing it for the first time, I would have to get out there and pollinate and not depend on the bugs and butterflies, at least in the beginning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
Netherlands
mine grow outdoors.
AY1Ev7y.jpg

they like alkaline soil and you won't be able to cultivate them without sterile conditions.
soil needs to be sterilized, bin (with lid) needs to be sterilized, preferably the air as well but I've had success without doing that, it's the same as growing orchids.

ps: A. scolopendrium is superior.
aGiZzE8.jpg

also just cutting them in half is easier, they don't mind being split up.

Ask a Question