Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all
Cold and grey yes compost is in short supply got a couple of bags of this from our local gc independent .Seem s very good nice texture I will see what the results are like.
DB515CB0-8B5C-4121-AC85-389B98F4CB9C.jpeg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder how much seaweed extract there is! How much peat is there please, ZenJ? For me, it's easy. Just go to gc and get those ripped open. Those 2 bags were not bag. Not like those in B&Q. Would love to look at the ingredients of these composts.

Just finished twin scaling snowdrops. Really scared as my vermiculite is older than me. I microwaved it to kill the pathogens. So much fuss. I never worried when I was scaling lily bulbs. But this one involve methylated spirit, systemic fungicide. A lot of cleaning and wiping. Did 4 and I have really had enough. Glad that I changed some pots as there was one with 5 slugs around one. Bought tons of pond pots for this purpose. Now I can finally relax.

Incidentally, I would like to order by lorry load if I were Perki! Save all the fluff!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its been a long day , didn't get back in the house till 10 .15 pm lots to do and the list seem to grow everyday. Emptied more pots today so I can plant some summer plants in. Potted up and divided plants for the pots for next spring show . Planted a couple of pots up, GH is slowly starting to empty .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning - too early. Supposed to have rain yesterday. One spit and that was it. Dressed up one basket and it weighed a ton. Hung it on the plum tree and yesterday I saw 5 foxes hanging around neighbour's garden. Neighbour's neighbour's daughter's partner smoked them out from his garden and now they shifted to my neighbour's. His lawn is now full of big holes - nearly 2 foot deep. Mine was dug about 8 inch deep and I quickly planted a dahlia on top and added some wood ash around it, a brick near the primula auricula to stop the plant being dug out again. They are a nuisance. And they thinned out my Blackie's feather.

Mother
SAM_4179.JPG
SAM_4178.JPG
SAM_4177.JPG
SAM_4175.JPG
SAM_4173.JPG
SAM_4172.JPG
SAM_4171.JPG

Some serious accident down the road, just 10 doors away.

SAM_4167.JPG
SAM_4166.JPG
SAM_4165.JPG
SAM_4164.JPG

Debris strewn outside our houses. Someone had to be cut out of his/her car.

New alstroemeria that I bought. Upright and striking. I hope to get the seeds. Nearly £12!
SAM_4161.JPG

SAM_4159.JPG
SAM_4159.JPG

Last Sibrica flower now

Centaurea
SAM_4158.JPG

A thinking Immaculee! fragrant double peony from Lidl It just looked like trying to bloom the whole 2 weeks!
SAM_4156.JPG

Bought this amethyst in the snow. Very pretty. £2
SAM_4155.JPG

Planted it next to the purple one.

Upminster British gc is selling this, but too pricey for me.
SAM_4162.JPG

Thank you for reminding me, Perki. I'm going to scale some daffs and tulips as well. I buried some tulips in the sand near a very hot spot and they came back like babies. I will dig up my Apricot twirl and see if I can scale the bulbs.

Attachments

• SAM_4176.JPG
    SAM_4176.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 85
  • SAM_4174.JPG
    SAM_4174.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love that dove and the iris - stunning in different ways. Wrote this bit before ex came.

First time ex got out of his area.

Love the markings on the yellow iris. Looks like white petunias in one photo. Didn't do much yesterday except eating strawberries. This year's cherry supply finished 2 days ago. 2 trees with 5 cherries between them. :banghead: But they were surprisingly sweet and blemish free. The variegated cornus Wolfe eye seems to be suffering. I watered it a bit.

BBC
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 05.53.56.png

Met office

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 05.54.38.png

No rain at the mo!

Need to plant out my water melons and Pied de Selnos. And I will devote one of the raised beds to flower. Saw 2 mulberries on my Charlotte Russe dwarf mulberry plant. Still in a tiny pot.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No rain at all until half an hour ago. Been doing some propagating and planting out 2 dahlias, but worried that slugs might have a field day tonight.

Martagon lily from Farmer Gracy
SAM_4195.JPG
SAM_4194.JPG
SAM_4193.JPG
SAM_4192.JPG
SAM_4191.JPG

SAM_4187.JPG

Finally, I have an Art Deco and it's very pretty, probably because it is a cutting from the tuber! LOL!
SAM_4182.JPG
SAM_4181.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_4190.JPG
    SAM_4190.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 55
  • SAM_4188.JPG
    SAM_4188.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 71

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to a very grey day. Very little rain. Not enough to wet the ground. Very frustrating.

Heartbreaking! The golden opportunity is no more!

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 04.37.19.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 04.36.27.png

Such different predictions!

Penstemon Smallii - a lot of blooms for a new plant!
SAM_4207.JPG
SAM_4206.JPG

Supposed to be Yellow Mellow!
SAM_4196.JPG

Tanz Sunseeker Magenta
SAM_4205.JPG
SAM_4204.JPG

Salvia Euphoria - it's huge! It must have thought it's a gunnera!
SAM_4203.JPG

Saw a bird mucking about here. Then it flew off and there was a broken egg there and the other Euphoria got dug up.
SAM_4202.JPG
SAM_4200.JPG
SAM_4199.JPG

I hope my twister in the allotment shows some sign of flowering. I have now paid good prices and counted the number of blooms before I buy plants. That way, I can guarantee to see flower before they die on me! Sadly, the same can't be said of Purple Delight agapanthus as it has no buds and it was the only one on sale that day.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 04.36.27.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 04.36.27.png
    107 KB · Views: 68
  • SAM_4201.JPG
    SAM_4201.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 58
  • SAM_4198.JPG
    SAM_4198.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 59
  • SAM_4197.JPG
    SAM_4197.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 56

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very sunny here! Much happier than yesterday's miserable grey! And it's much warmer! I was freezing here yesterday. Wonder if heating is on in the north!

Very little rain yesterday, not even half an inch.

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 06.46.49.png

Even sadder looking at the BBC one.

Some perennial lilies which never fail me!
SAM_4218.JPG

This poor rose standard in the allotment is suffering big time. Weighed down by tons of bloom and the top is now full of buds again. I can bear to trim it. Obviously, it's very happy with the soil there. And because of its collapsed state, I can make it to my oak leaf double hydrangea!
SAM_4217.JPG

Emptied a whole bag of 75L compost onto this and one bag of 40L organic compost (£3) and sowed some beans Bolotto or bolotti beans and dwarf runner beans. Also mulched my asparagus patch.

Had a lot of veg for dinner last night - cos, pak choi, and some mizuna.. Going to sow another round. Bit worried about the hot temperature as it would make them bolt.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 06.51.56.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 06.51.56.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all
Raining still a high of 12 c today but starting to get warmer from tomorrow yes the heating as been on .

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just eating my breakfast. This morning, I didn't feel the cold. Yesterday, out with 2 jumpers. Need to change electricity supplier. The present supplier has a tariff ending in September 2021, but refused to give it to me. I pretend to be on that tariff to do the comparisons. Instead they wanted to give me Flamborough which is more expensive and ends in July. Where is the justice of it all?

Last year was the same. They wanted to give me Gazelle and I found out Weasel was much cheaper. So I asked for that one and they said yes. All these animals have been confusing. Toying with the idea of switching to Shell with £30 cash back. Even some saving expert is pulling porkies, saying that M&S is cheaper. A look at the tariff tells me otherwise. In life, you really need to keep your wit about.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its been a wet but warm day . Not much done other than picking bits up / pots etc after strong winds again . Been out and staked the lupin which took a bit of a battering but most thing are still standing. Potted on some eucomis bulbs as well while I were in the GH watering and trimmed back the petunia red velour which were trying GH take over .

Planted out a few plants the other day , some snapdragons - salvia - Cobaea - sweet pea and a lablab purpureus , with the amount of rain we had this past week the garden had a good soak and the plant well wetted in.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all!

Rain? What rain? Not even an inch for the whole day. I am staring at abyss. Not a rain last night either. Those sentences were written before 8pm. And it was almighty cold. I had to wear 2 tops to keep myself warm at 10pm. This morning, there was heavy condensation on the doors to the sunlounge. So it's not just a cantankerous geriatric moan!

Wind blew down my plum tree and a lovely Duke blueberry. If you see this reduced, you must grab one - the size of the berries are much bigger than the rest. My other favorite is a pink one. A Pink Lemonade. I repotted the plum tree and plonked it in water for half a day. Then I gave my friend's gift - a huge Afro Caribbean hairstyle root ball Trachelospermum jasminoides, a covid trim and now it is inside a 7l pot. Actually, a brutal sawing! Not sure if it will live. If not, bonfire material it will become. The rest of its hair is already binned to be dried and burnt.

I made loads of Duke blueberry cuttings.

Yesterday, I watched Springwatch and someone in Wales add a 2 minutes video Ultra HD and it was a feast for the eyes. Lovely programme!

I grew this veined lilac petunia from seed
SAM_4225.JPG

So is this one!
SAM_4224.JPG
SAM_4223.JPG
SAM_4222.JPG

Very disappointing peony - Immaculee from Lidl and I have about 3 to 5 Bowl of Beauty somewhere. No bowl or beauty. So Immaculee is good as least it remembers there is a party! Two years in a row!
SAM_4220.JPG
SAM_4219.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Talking about Cobea, I sowed 6 seeds. None of them have bothered to say hello. Huge Success with Salvia - Euphoria thinks it's a gunnera and I'm worried that it might swamp the other tiddy plants. To my extreme regret, the Purple Delight Agapanthus comes with no bud and at the mo, it's still budless, like a barren woman!

Bought a camellia Volunteer and it was priced £15.99. I said to myself: Wait till they reduced it further. Last time we went, the price stayed tenacious and there was only ONE left! I grabbed it and then hesitated.. and then I yielded..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I got the Camellia Volunteer at £8.49 - the price reduced and I thought they would be reduced further. Er, no. The price stayed the same and nearly 10 of them were gone.

SAM_4229.JPG
SAM_4228.JPG
SAM_4232.JPG

Yesterday, we went to Enfield again. Went to Glebe and took a stab, bought 5 Dyke irises without photos or names at £2 each and a beautiful penstemon Black bird at £3.60. Saw the owner of the place potting up tiny astrantias into tiny grids and asked her where her compost came from. She said it was made up for her delivered from up north.

Got 2 bags of Sledge peat for £2.99 for 40L at Clockhouse. The organic version was gone.

Got 2 more white and blue agapanthus with buds for £7 each, and a 2 foot tall Rudbeckia herbstonne for a fiver in Clockhouse. A cherry red Phlox paniculata for £3 in Summerhill.

Friend bought me a toad lily and a eupatorium at Langthorn

As for rain, it actually was thunderous and raining for 2 minutes at about 6.10pm and after that the sun smiled again.

Today's weather prediction: Sunny and glorious!

Attachments

• SAM_4226.JPG
    SAM_4226.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question