Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A very busy day yesterday. Took cuttings, but wish I had used Jack's Magic. Now I have to repeat the whole process again. By the way, Jack's Magic is on sale in B&Q for £7.19. Only one out of the 3 we had been sold them. There were about 20. So if they were on sale and you have a geriatric card, you get one for £6.48 on a Wednesday if they admit that card that is. Also, even the bigger one in Enfield didn't store them. These are the 60L ones.

Chopped my bird of paradise into 2 and chopped off half of their roots. The roots are so fleshy and bulky that I had to forgo them. Now I have 3 plants and hopefully, they will flower next year. No luck this year.

Went to the allotment 7.15 and watered until 8.24pm. A good night sleep. Sadly, some newly transplanted plants didn't fare well. Slugs and frost from before. Now I have the trauma of mixing potatoes with sweetcorns! There are 2 sweetcorns from a hole as the previous one refused to say hello. Tons of clematises were very happy there so was the standard with hundreds of roses. Some agapanthus were verging on blooming and they were so happy there. My Echinacea Twister will flower soon. Very happy. Will upload something later.

IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG

Margaret Hunt
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG

Friend got this for me at Langthorns. Seen a lot of these in National Trust properties and so pleased that she got this for me, WITH FLOWERS!
SAM_4239.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well it been a muggy day and been threatening to rain all afternoon then it did :eek: good job i wasn't outside might of got washed away. Been busy the last few days planting out tender stuff and moving thing around , I've done all my larger pots / troughs for a summer display just got some little pots to fill in now . Give the back lawn another feed its showing bits of red thread , with all this warm / wet weather perfect conditions for red thread. Got quite a few plants with a lean on it been quite windy late last week.

Penstemons are looking nice . I am having a brain block can't think what to put at front of the borders but a penstemon may do .

£7 odd is expensive for jacks magic even if its on sale. Got one bag from B&m early winter last year sure it were a fiver.

Manged to get some plants at weekend for my pots at the front some little White/cream dahlias and yellow mini petunia and some more chempak 4 for feeding.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Think you've been busy! Everything goes. Couldn't even get money from my neighbour. I just gave it to him, telling him that I wanted the pot and seeds back! LOL! Then asked him to cut my tree which had a keen affinity to heavens. No fruits but willing itself to reach heavens. :banghead: None of the petunia pirouette seeds germinated and in the end I was so fed up that I put all the petunia rainbow mixed in and they all germinated. And now, they are struggling for food in a polystyrene tray.

Apple Lord Lambourne has bits near the tips covered with white dust and bugs. Very gruesome. Chopped the bits off and yet another barren tree with no treat for summer!

Penstemons and salvias are going to be big, especially with salvias. Penstemon Blackbirds has big flowers and is really worth getting. It was so dry and hot this morning that I spent 2 hours attached to the hose, and still couldn't water the entire garden.

Said to son that we shouldn't have gone to Clockhouse so soon and yet they had quite a few Thalictrums but sadly only Delavayi Splendide, black stocking. Yet, I managed to get Agapanthus Fireworks and another mixed one with buds. So quite happy. Got 2 bags of compost £3 each for 40L.

Talking about feeding. I bought 3 x 4kg BBF from Wilko at £2.50 each and then the man who fashioned a lovely garden with tons of lovely flowers was featured as a repeat in GW last Friday and he said he had added about 130kg of BBF on the soil right at the start. He's really is brilliant. Mowing the lawn every day is a bit obsessive. Any way, think I should do the same to improve my soil with BBF and went to Wilko. Only Bonemeal and reduced to £4!:banghead: Remember the rude cashier when the BBF was reduced to £2.50. She said £15 in total for 3. I told her they had been reduced. She said she didn't know and that I had to tell her and that she only scanned and that's her job!

We had 2 minutes of rain and that's my luck.

Jack's Magic definitely was £5.99 for 60L in B&M. But strange times and hence strange prices. Usually, there are loads of compost on Wilko and Asda floors. This year, all snapped up.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody wants my Indian Chief irises please? Save you buying any dry and old rhizomes. Glorious flowers and lovely planting combo. Amazing how you alliums are still going strong! Mine have more or less setting sets. Very lush! Your irises are very pretty here! I stil have some delphiniums to plant out. I can't bear it as I think the slugs will have them all as soon as they are out.
Salvia
SAM_4258.JPG

Agastache - I think Kudo Gold
SAM_4257.JPG
SAM_4255.JPG

This lily is every so sturdy and strong and I saw a young girl taking a selfie with it last year! LOL!
SAM_4254.JPG

taken after 2 minutes of rain.

Supposed to be Yellow Mellow!
SAM_4253.JPG

Salvia Euphoria thinking it was a gunnera.
SAM_4252.JPG
SAM_4251.JPG

3 years' old Gazinia
SAM_4250.JPG
SAM_4249.JPG

Was this the begonia you're after, Perki? It overwintered in my workshop. I didn't even feed it.
SAM_4248.JPG
SAM_4247.JPG

Beautiful abutilon
SAM_4246.JPG
SAM_4245.JPG
SAM_4244.JPG

Got the seeds from a certain gc!
SAM_4243.JPG
SAM_4241.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_4256.JPG
    SAM_4256.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
A rather drab day at the moment but at least it’s dry ,went down the coast yesterday with our part time dog she had a great time in and out of the sea fetching her ball no wind so it was pleasantly warm .A few from our garden this morning.
E2AFEDB4-3394-4FC7-83A5-9D79523FACAE.jpeg
F1A1A815-2D54-4F2F-B58C-77C95D4052D8.jpeg
3CBD0723-3DA3-4C8B-A52B-EBC0947DB147.jpeg
B06E1B28-71F9-4A06-BC83-9D33F74C449B.jpeg
1BFD91C1-D859-4B9F-8789-84216586F836.jpeg
5E6CEACA-1822-40B2-8185-E745056FAA7A.jpeg
2B0A26F6-1BCC-49B8-8698-9AADB0CC3B2C.jpeg
614131D0-6FA1-457F-8207-AE075572ED4D.jpeg
30C61C7D-6F98-4866-9C73-D883F3EA2EB2.jpeg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It felt like hot blazing August in here. The temperature has been further heightened by the change of laptop and the uploading perpetual circles. One minute I was watching Dead of winter on dplay on a big screen as in a mini movie house, the next I was downgrade to 21" Toshiba.

I wish I lived in the north just to have meconopsis. But I like to have my heating off though! LOL!

Now the blessed sun is angry again. Those wild orchids grow naturally on your property or were they found along your walk? I love those. Still remember seeing them in Yorkshire
Rievaulx Terrace
I had to google the place name. Such a strange cluster of letters.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I FINALLY have had a bit of rain. About half an hour! WHOOOOPEEEEEEE!:giggle:

Said it too soon. The evaporator :cool: is out again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its been rite muggy / clammy today and yesterday , thought it were going to lash it down about tea time went very dark , it did eventually have a thunderstorm and a downpour . Planted out one of the dahlias senior hope and a new plant that arrived today Colocasia hawaiian punch , also potted some of last season wallflowers up they looked to good to throw out .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all!

Never heard of Senior Hope! I stumbled upon some American dahlia sites and some flowers were just so pretty and looked different to what we have been fed here! This Colocasia hawaiian punch looks like a foliage plant. Has it got flowers?

It was so hot yesterday that I felt like having several siestas. Just angry heat. It rained about half an hour and there was about 5 inches of rain. I have been draining water slowly to the front where it was so dry that my callicarpa looked dying - It had spotted tiny little leaves, but then the leaves turned brown and some stems snappy. It's touch and go. And also water to the back where some potatoes just wouldn't leave my hellebores alone.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 05.21.15.png

I'm banking on the rain on Thursday. Long may it rain over me!

I planted out a 3 foot tall Rudbeckia Nitida Herbstsonne, next to Rudbeckia Laciniata Herbstsonne. Is someone pulling my leg? Also planted out a eupatorium. They are apparently the same thing.

Also planted out some veined petunias and hope to get seeds for next year. Today, I am going to use one raised bed to sow seeds for flowers for their seeds. Also planted out some echinaceas.

An examination of various corners of my lean to revealed that I had sown some multicoloured chards. I don't even know how to eat the thing. But I just love the colours. Now they are tiny seedlings. Ooops! One big fail is radish which was supposed to be big red giant. Tunred out to be long red wood block.

One thing strange is that the day time and night time temperatures could be so different that some of my petunia leaves turned white.

Little emperor swapped laptops again and I am bereft of my SD card!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
SAM_4278.JPG
SAM_4277.JPG

SAM_4276.JPG
SAM_4275.JPG

Wonderful companula Octopus

Attachments

• SAM_4274.JPG
    SAM_4274.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 58
  • SAM_4273.JPG
    SAM_4273.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 64

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Cor! I have never seen the like of it. The rain didn't start until nearly 11pm and this morning, I woke up to 2 inches of water all over my lawn which is basically a dip in the whole 100 foot plus. About 50 feet sumberged in water. Nearly all butts are filled.

The photos are all over the floor. Sorry for the confusion.

A very exciting day for me! Salvia Coccinea Lady in Red - Isn't she brilliant? A screaming red!
SAM_4284.JPG

Ballyanna Salvia
SAM_4302.JPG
SAM_4301.JPG

Salvia Madelaine
SAM_4300.JPG
SAM_4299.JPG

Lady in Red again!
SAM_4283.JPG
SAM_4281.JPG

Ballyannau
SAM_4297.JPG
SAM_4296.JPG
SAM_4295.JPG
SAM_4294.JPG
SAM_4293.JPG

Amethyst lip
SAM_4292.JPG
SAM_4291.JPG
SAM_4290.JPG

Anybody wants to donate a camera to me????? LOL

Black petunia? Er, need a new camera!
SAM_4289.JPG
SAM_4288.JPG

This was supposed to go to neighbour's pot. No, too good for him. I keep this for seeds. Any way, I gave him the pot.
SAM_4287.JPG

Lady in Red is quite distinctive and stunning
SAM_4283.JPG
SAM_4282.JPG
SAM_4281.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
rained all day. sowed some wallflowers and foxglove seeds early and made up a couple more summer pots.

It is a nice true red , I've grown petunia Black berry before doesn't stand up to wet conditions at all just turns to mush even before they open, lovely colour though.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dry all day, but floods everywhere. Middle of the lawn, area near my sweetcorns which concerned me most as I LOVE sweetcorns! I dug 2 long canals and even this morning the side near my elderly neighbour was totally flooded still. I bailed water out from various places yesterday. Dug canals which are about 4 inches deep. I am worried that my lovely plants will die. Renter neighbour told me that there would be a chap coming to clean the pond next week. Had the feeling that it leaked and caused the flood. Last year when it flash flooded the pond was leaking water for 3 days, but it didn't flood my whole lawn area. This time it did. The water on the elderly neighbour side was still an inch all over all over the lawn.

Salvia Coccinea Lady in Red is really striking and it has a different flower shape to the others, but exactly the same as Coccinea summer Jewel. Very pleased this year with my new flowers though Summer Jewel had been teasing me for years and I only got to see the real thing this year. The camera is a funny thing. One minute it could focus on the hair on Salvia Bullyana, but couldn't get one single clear pic of the amethyst lip.

Apparently I have 3 Mellow Yellow. To me they are white!
SAM_4318.JPG
SAM_4317.JPG
SAM_4316.JPG

This one here is a 2nd generation of my yellow and pink alstromerias
SAM_4315.JPG
SAM_4314.JPG
SAM_4313.JPG

Also a 2nd generation
SAM_4312.JPG
SAM_4311.JPG
SAM_4310.JPG

This is definitely one of the parents.
AlstrY.JPG

Thank heavens that it's not going to rain or my plants will all die.

Supposed to be raining now. Please don't!

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 05.21.44.png

Would love to see this Purple Emperor in real life

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 06.27.48.png

An electrifying beauty!

Attachments

• SAM_4114.JPG
    SAM_4114.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question