Bouganvillea style

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Hi guys, when it comes to Bouganvilleas, do you like to grow them so they look like a small bush or tree, or do you make it "climb" a wall so it spreads across it?

I'd like to know your preferences.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
I love bouganvilleas, but I have never grown any myself. However, I always admire this plant in other people's gardens. I prefer to see it spread across a wall, although to me, it is beautiful in all forms. It also tends to form a nice hedge when it is spread across a wall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I love bouganvilleas too. I had a beauty growing in front of the house and i let it grow without interference...how ever it wanted to. So i suppose i like them best when they are allowed to grow following their natural inclination. One morning i walked out the door and the bouganvillea was completely black! A closer inspection showed that it was covered with large black leaf-cutter ants. I got a broom and beat some of the ants off. In the end, the leaf cutters ate that bouganvillea right down to the ground. This was before i was prepared with organic solutions to guard against predators. Now i am prepared with Diatomaceas Earth (DE), but the bouganvillea is long gone. There are plenty of them growing in gardens and vacant fields around here, so i enjoy them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They look great but they are not sold anywhere near me because they are not a fan of Illinois weather. If I had them I would have them growing up trellises and along my house

Reaction score
Before my mother had bouganvilleas and we just grow them like a small bush or tree and we never let it to climb on a wall. But sad to say we do not have the plants anymore because of the typhoon and after that we never grow them again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A beauty of the south we Ohioans can only enjoy in pictures. If I had them I would let them climb. We could plant them here but would constantly have to bring them indoors because of unpredictable weather and I'd rather not have the hassle.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I lived in California I had a Bouganvillea that grew as a bush it was wonderful to behold. Where I live now is not a warm enough climate for the plant to grow during winter.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
We had ours growing along a stone wall behind our house. We let it grow up the wall to cover then trim it when it got off it. it was so pretty. I always think of them as wall climbers after remembering it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I think I'm going to the wall style, and have some cutting for a bush style :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was recently in California and bougainvillea flowers are everywhere and in so many different colors! I love these flowers and at my childhood's home, we had the pink color and my dad designed them to grow over our yard like a ceiling giving us shade. Bougainvillea flowers always remind me of my dad.

In California, they are also designed in different styles too. Some just let them grow naturally but some cultivate them in different shapes. Just beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I love them too. One of my favorite plants ever. They also remind me of my childhood; I lived in a semi-tropical town near the southern coast of Mexico, so they bloomed beautifully.

Ask a Question