Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler is playing up again. A few days ago, it was F28. Today, the electric button has been flipped down and the screen was totally blank. I moved the button up and it was like burning for 10 minutes and now the darn electric button in the switch board is down again. Wait for son to come home. For that blast of heat, it is not so cold for the time being.

Kentucky tonight.

Sowed lobelia, aubretia, more thalictrum, achillea Gold plate. Petunia Pirouette. Whenever I saw the name Perki, I was very nervous as I still hadn't sown lobelia. Ah! I feel so much better than I have sown Rainbow cascade mix. I have to resort to pots as I just don't have room.

Saw Gray Parrot's Amaryllis Papillon! They are still alive despite a constant drought. Left somewhere and had totally forgotten about it and I was amazed that they are still alive - 2 in a pot.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
1582094748147.png

Trip to zoo cancelled due to rain! Will try again on Sunday!

Very dark this morning! Yesterday's spoil

hepPK.jpg
SAM_2352.JPG

The old camera worked magic: such a distance and the bird is still quite well captured here!

Look at the pollen. Should have done some cross pollination.
hmarblo1.jpg
hmarblo.jpg

Trumps
grrump1.jpg

Midas
Gmi.jpg
gtrump.jpg

Attachments

• hepatica pink.jpg
    hepatica pink.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 76
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Raining here till at least tomorrow dinner time. My hellebores arrived yesterday the double picotee is very nice just and the other apricot one has a faded flower so I'll have to wait for a nice new one. Went to wilko yesterday looking for a scoop and dahlia tubers it didn't go well had no scoop or any dahlias I wanted, fortunately my mum turned up later with a scoop from a another wilko .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Need a photo to see what it's like Perki!

Wilko is selling the same old stuff. Incidentally, I wish I hadn't bought from Peter Nyssen. The prices looked nice until you added the VAT and the tubers are terribly small. There is only one decent big one. 5 out of 7 or 8 bags could be fitted inside a 9cm pot!! :ROFLMAO:

SAM_2340.JPG
SAM_2341.JPG
SAM_2342.JPG

I would never buy tubers of these sizes in Wilko.

Did 2 hours of fencing to stop the fox coming in at the back. No wonder Blackie always stayed at the other end of the garden.

Emailed the seller of the lens and asked if I could cancel the order. He was a nice man and said yes. I think I'm selling this camera as I could use my son to photo small snowdrops. He's very good and uses the ISO to take close ups.

Here, we are spoilt for choice. Several gcs around and half a wall of tubers for you to choose from.

The snowdrop saga hasn't finished. I complained to the nursery and of course I was livid. A Rosemary Burnham turned up in dry petals and I had no idea if that was the real McCoy. I mean 2 dry petals on each bulb? Could be anything. The Windlebury Ring was very spectacularly long, but the tepals were crushed by these

SAM_2344.JPG

For goodness sake, most of the bulbs were over £30! My blood and bread all in there. The nursery daughter then sent me a cheque of the total amount (which included 2 outstanding items). I sent the cheque back straight away, phoned and left a message, emailed her and have heard nothing so far. Just now I sent her another email to ask her what is happening to the other 2 outstanding items. This woman actually appeared on TV with her mum, so a well established nursery.

I was so pleased with orders from Edrom and Avon Bulbs. Very well packaged and handled with love and due care.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just got email back and she said she would send them first thing next week. Hurrah!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll take a picture of the double picotee tomorrow and of the faded apricot .

I stopped buying from peter nyssen a couple of years ago because of poor dahlia tubers, I am falling back into the trap though , they have a good selection better than most and with the GC round here barely stocking as many as they used to ( they did have loads left in May in previous years probably why ) it difficult to get ones you want or come across new variety's. Peter N just ran out of stock of waltzing matlida the one I really wanted so I think I buy from Anglia bulbs instead , I've always had excellent bulbs / tubers from them , last year I bought syliva which need planting in a 5L pot . Yours don't look so bad I've had worse but they are small .

Wilko - lidl - B&M etc always stock the same bulbs every year its rather boring / pointless looking at them anymore. Even some of the GC are doing the same.

At least your other order going to turn up hopefully theses ones are better wrapped, it took me 20-30 mins to get into the parcel my hellebores come in , it must of took him ages to pack them. I did knock one bud off while unpacking them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had to order with peter nyssen :rolleyes: Anglia bulbs only had one dahlia I were after unfornately .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Perki, If you talked to them over the phone, you might have a better lot. I will join the National Dahlia Society in Chelmsford and this will give us a chance to go down to Chelmsford to Long Acre nursery which does 6 for a certain amount of money and their plants are consistently good. NDS sells them £2 a pop! Sounds good. My favorite red/white dahlia could be DUO. The man who bought my propagator said it was Duo and I thought he was pulling my leg. Cathedral of Durham gardener said his was call Edinburgh and Monty said his was Rothesay Reveller. My head is spinning round and round by all these names.

I was so happy that I got my Honeka black and Mrytle for 50p each.

Seeing all the floods is just heartbreaking - pray for drier weather. It's so sad and costly and insurance companies never want to pay!

View attachment 61274

It's OK for me as I live in a higher up area, but flash floods are common. 50 yards down the road is a huge splash point where vehicles spray water at you like a fire hydrant!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Perki, If you talked to them over the phone, you might have a better lot. I will join the National Dahlia Society in Chelmsford and this will give us a chance to go down to Chelmsford to Long Acre nursery which does 6 for a certain amount of money and their plants are consistently good. NDS sells them £2 a pop! Sounds good. My favorite red/white dahlia could be DUO. The man who bought my propagator said it was Duo and I thought he was pulling my leg. Cathedral of Durham gardener said his was call Edinburgh and Monty said his was Rothesay Reveller. My head is spinning round and round by all these names.

I was so happy that I got my Honeka black and Mrytle for 50p each.

Seeing all the floods is just heartbreaking - pray for drier weather. It's so sad and costly and insurance companies never want to pay!

1582185170043.png

It's OK for me as I live in a higher up area, but flash floods are common. 50 yards down the road is a huge splash point where vehicles spray water at you like a fire hydrant!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Selina is gorgeous! How come we don't see these in gcs? When I saw the word alstroemerias, my heart missed a bit. Thank heavens there isn't any that I want. Need to go out again to level one area. Gee! So messy out there. I'm suffering from depression, just thinking about the mess emanated from me, me plants, pots, labels .. Then I will come in and play on the laptop just to stop myself thinking of the monumental tasks ahead of me!

Been out watering bamboos and I'm willing them to grow 1 meter this year as they are needed to hide my neighbour's wide wild west!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still raining , I've had a quick look zenj and I've seen a couple I were interested in already and they is plenty more to look at , I'll have a look later (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some pictures of the new hellebores - iris and some snowdrops . I'll have a look at them dahlias and the rest now thanks Zenj.

Attachments

• DSC01102.JPG
    DSC01102.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC01106.JPG
    DSC01106.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC01108.JPG
    DSC01108.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01109.JPG
    DSC01109.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC01110.JPG
    DSC01110.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01112.JPG
    DSC01112.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC01113.JPG
    DSC01113.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 84

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, very nice picotee and I like the veined one as well. Who would have thought there are so many configurations in one genre - hellebores! They must have a wide spectrum in their genome, like apples but more!

I have the same blue iris and I really love the violet one - the colour so heavenly and a true ecclesiastical!

Heavens know no fury - more and more rain and I feel so sorry for those troubled by them! No end of misery! And meanwhile Boris Johnson is having a good time in Chevening! Not even a single visit to these blighted areas!

1582266020977.png

Ideal day for doing the laundry!

The cream double which I thought was yellow!
SAM_2354.JPG
SAM_2352.JPG
SAM_2351.JPG
SAM_2350.JPG

A double Apricot
SAM_2349.JPG
SAM_2347.JPG
SAM_2346.JPG

a double dotted green
SAM_2358.JPG

A most beautiful green double
SAM_2357.JPG

Sowed more thalictrum seeds, petunias - star shapes, black, super cascade. My whole kitchen is full of trays.

Attachments

• SAM_2353.JPG
    SAM_2353.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question