alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
1582353494133.png

Didn't do much yesterday. Sowed seeds: Verbena, Paulownia tomentosa, (30m tall!? I won't worry about it as I have never had any success with my seeds so far and it's one of those seeds I kept buying every year.), Strawberry seeds (from the stall holder contracted to my son's work place for its catering functions. The strawberries were delicious), and some others.

An out of focus Ceres and a Harvington Smokey Blues!
SAM_2362.JPG
SAM_2355.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Went to the zoo and had a lovely day, albeit too windy!

Visited the aviary this time and it was a treat!
SAM_2534.JPG
SAM_2530.JPG
SAM_2527.JPG

A white starling!
SAM_2521.JPG

A scarlet ibis
SAM_2512.JPG
SAM_2508.JPG
SAM_2506.JPG
SAM_2504.JPG
SAM_2499.JPG
SAM_2495.JPG

A Manchurian Duck - a very handsome male!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Saw another Manchurian Duck in gc yesterday. Amazing that I have seen two in as many days. Bought an Avalon Pride peach and don't think I will have any peaches this year. The poor thing was tall and straggly. Had to be trimmed to be put inside the car. Bought 2 Black Dragon iris and 2 mixed echinaceas and they turned out to be better quality in the store nearer to us.

A lot of snakes and lizards here
SAM_2486.JPG
SAM_2485.JPG
SAM_2481.JPG
SAM_2480.JPG
SAM_2476.JPG

Hippo
SAM_2463.JPG

Hunting dog
SAM_2462.JPG

Okapi
SAM_2460.JPG
SAM_2451.JPG
SAM_2448.JPG

Lemur
SAM_2442.JPG
SAM_2441.JPG

SAM_2440.JPG

Wonder who can tell me what this clematis like flower is! It's an evergreen and grows up to 1.5m. The flowers are lovely!

It was most windy around 9 to 10.30. Then around 1pm heavens lashed down and after 3, sun came out and it was warm, calm and totally different weather to what went before, as if what the fuss before were about!

1582524357046.png

1c on Wednesday!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Snowing!? Crumbs! I might need to cover something. Just when I think it's safe to plant out some salad leaves! My kitchen is choc-a bloc with trays.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently it snowed early this morning but its rained since I've been up. I am still recovering from weekend went to a 30th birthday party and went watching the boxing , sleep pattern knackered again.

can't say I recognise the shrub alp .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Zenj Wish you lived near, could have given you some tickets to take your grandkids to the zoos. The highlights for me are lemur feeding, meerkats, birds and butterflies.

SAM_2438.JPG
SAM_2433.JPG

London zoo has the most beautiful penguin enclosure and here are the opportunists fishing at feeding time!
SAM_2423.JPG

SAM_2428.JPG
SAM_2421.JPG
SAM_2419.JPG
SAM_2417.JPG
SAM_2416.JPG
SAM_2413.JPG
SAM_2412.JPG
SAM_2407.JPG

A Fritillaria Imperialis?
SAM_2575.JPG

Camellia Japonica Brushfield!
SAM_2557.JPG

Perki - Practise yoga - no need to move your legs or arms, but deep inhaling and exhaling and try to relax, release all the nervous energy. It's really good for the body. You didn't physically go to watch the boxing match? On big TV? That's better - at least, no saliva or blooding flying around. To think these boxers might suffer from brain damage .. But still, it's another way of firing the passion in us ..

Attachments

• SAM_2422.JPG
    SAM_2422.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 71

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It was so cold yesterday. I went out 3 or 4 times, but the chill in the air just shocked me. From now on - 2 pairs of trousers instead of whinging. Wonder how those people in Alaska survive in winter. It's frigging cold there! Glad that they have now so many docus on their lives. It really is enlightening!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all well the snow was short lived and was away by late afternoon ,3 days of dry weather according to forecast we need it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. You and those up north and north west definitely NEED dry weather. You see, you can't even escape to sunny clime because of the coronavirus! The latter has really brought the world to its knees! :cry: :ROFLMAO: :inpain: :banghead: :cry:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
River Severen has broken its barricade and the rain ribbon is still on going all the way across the pond! Feel so sorry for those trapped in waters. They really need to dredge rivers before autumn and build houses on stilts.

Old camera
Camellia J Brushfield
SAM_2592.JPG

Midas
SAM_2622.JPG

Trymlet
SAM_2617.JPG

F Imperialis Lutea
SAM_2612.JPG

Double Apricot
SAM_2606.JPG
SAM_2605.JPG

Another hellebore
SAM_2603.JPG

Out of nowhere came this hellebore
SAM_2602.JPG

Trymlet
SAM_2601.JPG
SAM_2600.JPG

Midas
SAM_2595.JPG

New camera

Camellia Japonica Brushfield
SAM_0391.JPG
SAM_0394.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't make its mind up the weather , wet this morning . I've been out twice pruning the roses but keep coming back in when it starts snowing or hailstone the sun been out as well.

Very early for a ceanothus to be in flower . To early yet here for daffodils but I do have one or two rouge ones , most of the others haven't even budded up yet.

That's a nice camellia alp I hope mine decides it want to flower this year , its got plenty of buds on but they don't always open .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I never have had a red double, Zenj! That's so lovely and so is the last one - so perfect and the spots are are evenly distributed. I was shocked to see ceanothus so early! There must be quite a bit of microclime in your garden, Zenj! Sooooo early! This year, I will have one flowering first time in 10 years. We culled the repens as it was taking over the front near the door. Now I have an AGM Puget and I could see buds, bot blooms, no! I kept buying them and they all died on me £2 a pop and I bought 3 of them. This is my 4th attempt and it was no longer in a pot.

I culled 2 or 3 hellebores yesterday. In fact, the whole day was spent labelling them and splitting them into smaller plants. In the morning, I spent 2 hours making hellebores - hall of fames 1 and 2 videos.

I also weeded a bit and it was ideal weather - 2 pairs of trousers and a thick gilet. I worked beyond 4 and then tidied up the work surface. Split 2 hellebores into 5 or 6 plants and watered them well.

1582786235184.png

The day before around 5pm, we had rumbling thunder and then lashes. Yesterday was so very bright and then it had a bit of sleet. I retired Blackie and then it stopped and it was gloriously bright again. I took Blackie out and at about 4pm, he perched near his coop and I put him back into the warmth and calm. When the sun was out, it was pure bliss! No rain after that.

My first camellia never flowered but it had buds. Turned out that spot was perpetually dry and the buds fell off. Last year, it flowered its socks off! That was the most common camellia that Carol Klein talked about. It had one flower 2 days ago.

Correction: This is Fritillaria raddeana
SAM_2637.JPG

This is the camellia we used to make medicinal soup with. Think it was 99p from Home Bargains
SAM_2627.JPG

I found my zen like hellebore yesterday

Videos

Hellebores: Hall of Fames 1

Hellebores: Hall of Fames 2

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all
frosty but lovely sunny day alp your videos are very good loved watching them the colours are amazing lovely plants hard to pick my favourite the apricot is up there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question