Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Judging by the photo of the Daphne above, I don't think my Samsung newish camera is better than the one. Samsung must have been floored by mirrorless technology. My PL20 little old camera is far superior to this lumpy one.

1581056656219.png

Blackie will certainly enjoy today's sunny sortie. Yesterday, 3pm, he was crowing like mad. I was so fed up with his noise that I punished him by returning him to the coop. When I went to feed him, he was still on the higher rest area, a sign of wanting to come out, but no, mate as it was already 4pm. He didn't go down to his food until I shut the coop. 2 days ago, some crows were flying above and made terrible aggressive noise. Blackie scampered into the base of a holly tree - he was so scared. Later, he had a hard and must be painful time trying to extricate himself out of the holy pricky leaves. I so felt for him.

Looked for some seeds for 2 hours yesterday and of course, it was near the base of the computer desk. Then waited for a delivery which never came. Last year, I waited for the delivery of this same company for nearly a week and the nursery tracked the parcel and said they hadn't even posted it. She sent me another parcel. When I send my parcels, I have Live plants !!! written all over the boxes on all sides. I'm not taking any chance.

Sowed some more Echinacea Rubinstern, birch seeds. Onion seeds have sprouted. I turned on the washing machine earlier, hoping to catch the wind. Nothing better than drying clothes outside. Neighbour's girlfriend has been doing that for days! She had 4 generations living with him. Amazing how this man can stand all the family members. He said it, not me! Her son had a baby last year and her mum is living with her. A small village!

Going to sow some more delphinium seeds. Just love them. I miss my blue and violet delphinium. DIY gcs have changed - they no longer stock so many items and the stock on reduction has been rubbishy. Last time I went, I saw nothing but Sweet Williams and conifer and to be exact, Leylandii!

Read this
Bumblebees can't stand the heat caused by climate change and could be extinct 'within decades' as their survival rate plummets by a third

Yesterday, I was looking at which hellebores to cull and heard this helicopter noise - saw a huge bumble buzzing around and of course, it went for a dark coloured hellebore. I wish I had a camera as it was quite a sight. Glad that I had some nectar for it! Long may they live!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all looks like we are in for a wet and windy weekend ,alp I think your new camera as more detail and lovely clear photos like everything practice makes perfect.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, it's just too costly as I have invested in a macro lens, which even in 2nd hand condition costs £150 to £195. I hope you're right. I must try it more.

With the lens, it will cost me £280. I hope it lasts. I'm now selling all my heirlooms! LOL! Insurance company is asking me to pay the premium of £56 per month for 3 months.. They never lose, these insurance companies. When I was quoting for my 2nd vehicle, it was depreciated to £5900 whereas I paid £7250 for it. If I had bought it via AllenFord, it would be £9000 and that was with a sign £10000 plus on the windscreen! Just when I think businesses were not doing well ...

Yes, the weather reports do sound frightening -- Wind ALL OVER THE COUNTRY! Usually, here, we are spared. It's going to be a lovely day today! Enjoy it whilst it lasts!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It was very, very frosty yesterday morning and it was the first day I had my laundry out to dry. Not bad. Clothes dry in the evening, but in the morning, the lawn not warmed by the sun was covered with hard stiff frost and Blackie refused to come out.

1581141477538.png

As you can see, the wind speeds wont amount to anything today. Planted out a dwarf conifer at the front and moved some irises. Dug up some Desdemona snowdrops. Placed some snowdrops indoors just in case the winds topples them.

I bought some pineberry (strawberry with pineapple flavour) bare roots and I potted them up on Tuesday. And now I can't find the pots. Only 2. Bought some alstroemeria and decided the lump into 5 pots very happy and green shoots have come up.

I waited the whole day and the parcel hasn't come. Very annoyed. Today I will have to repeat the same ritual: sitting by the window and wait for postman WITH A VAN! Yesterday, I thought the postman had my parcel, so I opened the window and said, "I'm here and have you got a parcel for me!" He said, "I am here, but I have no parcel. They come with a van!" :ROFLMAO: I don't open the door as you can't shut some people out once you open the door. So communication is strictly via the window.

Some iris stems are shooting up, but there's no sight of buds. Have a new Harvington Pink Blotched to share with you later.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
New camera with cropping on the fly!
SAM_0084.JPG

SAM_0077.JPG
SAM_0082.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0076.JPG
    SAM_0076.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 73

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
1581229976083.png

Heard neither rain or wind! Let's keep it this way. Apparently, jet stream is going to lash us again in the near future.

Hey, I can hear the wind! Must be whipping in the north west of Scotland!

Trumps in its most delightful assertion! New camera
SAM_0087.JPG
SAM_0089.JPG
SAM_0090.JPG
SAM_0093.JPG
SAM_0098.JPG

Old camera

Wasp or Ding Dong!
SAM_2119.JPG
SAM_2117.JPG

Lean to is so wet that fungal matter is growing.
SAM_2134.JPG

3 or 4 clumps of this horror.

Spring is here, but without the clemency of weather to go with it!
SAM_2124.JPG

Old camera wins hands down!
SAM_2123.JPG

SAM_2133.JPG
SAM_2130.JPG
SAM_2127.JPG

Need to sow some iris seeds. I hope this year there is a glut of seeds - with all that RAIN!

Keep dry and safe to all!

Attachments

• SAM_0095.JPG
    SAM_0095.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 70

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wind is howling and I am praying for my garage roof and fences.

1581246288205.png

Wind gust 55, 57

Ciara has been kind to Newcastle

1581246351454.png

Somewhere in Lancashire
1581246428326.png

By the look of it, I have the strongest wind gust!

Staying home and going NOWHERE! Fiddle with new camera and photoshopping on the camera itself

SAM_0108.JPG
SAM_0109.JPG
SAM_0110.JPG
SAM_0103.JPG

Attachments

• 1581246144678.png
    1581246144678.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a windy morning still 65 guest forecast (you'll have to look up rossendale for my area) I reckon the worst of the winds have already passed though, it's the rain what seems to be the bigger problem flood warning all over the place. Might have a wonder round and be nosy

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
SAM_0114.JPG

Got nowhere to go and just fiddling with all sorts of camera.

These 2 below by iPhone
PrimroseW.jpg
primR.jpg

That's why Apple is making so much money with the help of Chinese labour!

Perki Why it keeps saying Rossendale ski centre? Am I in the UK or is there a ski centre there?

It's LASHING down here now!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Weather report from the ski centre
1581253237056.png

I concede the badge of honour to you! I hadn't rain until half an hour ago. All was dry and crisp this morning and Blackie wanted to come out. No way!

Those iphone photos were taken INDOORS with artificial LED lights - 2 on the sides next to the pot and 2 above.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can have the badge as long as you take the weather. Makes a big difference with the black background.

Ordered my hellebore the other day double white picotee and a single apricot / yellow with red vein and it looks like it got a anemone center.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Perki You haven't got a partner yet, the world is your oyster! I'd move. So depressing!

The latter has got a lovely nectary? See the difference
SAM_2036.JPG
SAM_0084.JPG

Very similar, but I love the latter by a mile. 2 items only? Thank heavens the rain and storm has stopped me going out. No accounting for what I would have bought!

I think my hellebore collection is more or less complete, but boy, how I miss this one

HELLEWA.jpg

Sounds lovely apricot colour!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
1581315602464.png

There is no electricity to half of my house because of how wet the lean to is! Nightmare - more money to go and no bread for today!

Need to go to the post office today and wait for the delivery of a parcel. Going to the post office on a Monday is not something I look forward to.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's raining again, quite heavy as well. Got delivery of my snowdrop and I'm livid. Rosemary Burnham were like dry paper and there are only two green bits. Andre Philip Mayer has a broken stem on arrival. The wood shavings damaged the tepals of the Wendlebury Ring. I paid for the order last month and she had to post them on Thursday. The box didn't get delivered until today. But if you are sending snowdrop, at least roll the bulbs in newspaper to protect the dainty flowers. No.

Can't even complain as she just pretended that the flowers were very nice looking when she sent them.
SAM_2164.JPG
SAM_2163.JPG

These flowers are so expensive. I won't buy from this nursery again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question