Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Shame that you've had and will have rain and rain. Time to visit the children and grandkids, perhaps, Zenj!

Rain has stopped here and I'm diverting water to various parts of the garden, especially the beefsteak toms! Nice to work in this temperature though. I was hot early yesterday morning in the allotment. Well, get ready for a cold blast.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Farmer Gracy:

Enjoy free delivery* with code SBHW
Valid until 31 August 2020

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It rained last night and folks, be careful as tonight, it's going to very cold your way. Don't know about DrCase in the States! Snowing in Australia.

This year, I planted out my dahlias too late and some of them are still thinking of joining the party.
SAM_0194.JPG
SAM_0193.JPG
SAM_0192.JPG

Thinking ...
SAM_0191.JPG

Thinking ...
SAM_0190.JPG

See how late this is. One of the Wishes.. or Amante
SAM_0189.JPG
SAM_0188.JPG

My first chilli and already consumed with my noodles. Hot enough for me.
SAM_0187.JPG

Sowed some Thai Basil, radishes, Pak Choi, planted out some fennels. Saw George Anderson's big fennels on Beechgrove, I felt very ashamed as my seedlings were tiny punny strings. His was showing the root ball. Wish they had told us WHEN to sow the seeds, rather than planting them out.

Really like that Cullum Clooney's allotment - he's a young pro! Everything was perfect ..

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Courgette saga:

The RHS says cases of poisoning are still rare but the risks can be reduced by not saving seeds from one year to the next and only buying brands that carry the RHS Award of Garden Merit.

I had tried to sell my overgrown courgettes and 2 had been stolen. As my sis said, it didn't matter if they were stolen as we couldn't eat them all. I might feed some to the worms. How RHS turns this saga to their own advert!

A most grotesque beefsteak, but boy, so delicious.
SAM_1106.JPG

SAM_1105.JPG

Can't believe this hibiscus is flowering sooooo late!

SAM_1113.JPG
SAM_1112.JPG

A thornless raspberry and obviously overwhelmed by the giant toms everywhere around it. It was delicious. Eaten soon after the photo was taken. I bet it felt pain when harvested!
SAM_1111.JPG
SAM_1110.JPG
SAM_1109.JPG
SAM_1108.JPG

These chrysanthemums are varied and interesting!
SAM_1107.JPG

Thank heavens the sun is out. Just started tons of laundry.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well its stopped raining and been a fine day , I were going to go out to the GC but couldn't be bothered . I had a looked down in B&M and Lidl and picked up some tulip bulbs . My eupatoriums have come right over and squashed quite a few plants , rather disappointing I am hoping to pick up some more steel plant supports and more importantly get the in early.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning: At least the sky is greyish blue, just a hint of blue. But it's a lovely colour to start the day. We are going out to eat. The last day of the bargain and last day of little emperor's holiday.

Winds have been such a problem and my Thalictrum Double Hewitt double snapped right at the base even though I had a metal support as I thought that would be enough. In the end, I rescued it by tying the slender plant to the stick.

We went to Clockhouse, Enfield yesterday and one big greenhouse was full of all sorts of bulbs

As we won't be going there any more this year, I splashed £70 plus on bulbs and seaweed feed. And there goes my TV licence fee. I won't be renewing it this year. It's just not worth it. I'd rather spend it on my plants and garden.

Little structures in Tesco
SAM_1123.JPG
SAM_1122.JPG

So cute!

I think I had bought something similar from Farmer Gracy last year.

SAM_1121.JPG

Bought some icecream tulip and some unusual ones. Not this one, but took a photo to share!

SAM_1120.JPG

New strand of delphinium just ruins my love for the genus.
SAM_1119.JPG
SAM_1118.JPG

These were on sale yesterday and the tubers were dead as dodo. Some were very fresh. Come on, Taylors! Don't sell dried out shrivelled tubers. Literally, no chance of a happy bloom!
SAM_1117.JPG

A whole sea of choices and there is even a counter to indulge your whims. XLL bulbs were on sale.
SAM_1116.JPG
SAM_1115.JPG

Glad that they had truly stocked up this weekend as we won't be there until after February or March. Binged on 2 episodes of Beechgrove.

Went to my beloved Summerhill as well. Got my replacement Fritillaria Imperialis bulbs x 3. Now just need to fill the pots and make sure I staple the names to the pots.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am binging on Beechgrove now. In episode 1, George Anderson said he would prune a very sad hydrangea right back and no flower the following year. A lady presenter said she would do half and half so there might be some flowers. The other 2 presenters had a cheeky smile on their faces. I nearly sprayed my screen with tea! ;)

Don't think George had a happy session. I like him very much though! LOL!

1598862697051.png

The great man himself with his brilliant idea! Double the heat, humidity ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is quite a collection of bulbs , quite expensive some of them £4.99 for daffs or tulips .

Its been a really nice day for a change today sunny all day , its chilly in the morning though feels like its October .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you come to where I live, these are normal prices, Perki! Everything is so much more expensive here in the SE.

One of the best nurseries Riverside and it enjoyed panoramic views

SAM_1158.JPG

SAM_1157.JPG
SAM_1156.JPG
SAM_1155.JPG
SAM_1154.JPG

Scented Echinaceas
SAM_1153.JPG
SAM_1152.JPG
SAM_1151.JPG

These two went home with me.
SAM_1150.JPG
SAM_1149.JPG
SAM_1148.JPG
SAM_1147.JPG
SAM_1146.JPG

Expansive views - most serene and there is a marina if you look closely.
SAM_1142.JPG
SAM_1141.JPG

It's heartbreaking to see elecampane flaring its yellow flowers on Beechgrove Garden and yet I have only leaves to show for them.
SAM_1140.JPG

Ace of Hearts dahlia have forgotten its collarette!

Purple delights Agapanthus
SAM_1139.JPG

Salvia
SAM_1138.JPG
SAM_1137.JPG
SAM_1136.JPG
SAM_1135.JPG

SAM_1134.JPG

2 Fancy Pants. Now that I have Fancy Pants, I have lost my Honka Obsidian!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It was very cold last night here. Or it could be me, not the weather. To compound the matter, I didn't renew my TV licence and was staring at youtube at the barrel. Then I googled and it turned out that you can use any channels, including itv, c4, c5 as long as you don't watch live or record. Only iplayer is not allowed for even catch up. That's so simple. I watched Doctor G in dplay and they were brilliant.

My promise to myself: no more bulbs: tulips, daffs, allium, crown imperialis from now on. I spent half a day potting E70 up and it was exhausting and time consuming. From now on, only recycling. I also potted up 40 saffron crocus.

When I saw this flower in Riverside, it had a label nearby, saying Smell me! I did and it smelt like a perfume. Yesterday, I smelt it again and again and realised it smelt like a Dior perfume: Diorissimo, no less.
SAM_1159.JPG

I smelt the red one. I don't remember a scent. But in the sunshine and heat, this one does smell like a perfume.

See my intellectual THINKER! They are going to miss the party. Still in bud form. Or I should call them Miss/Mr Attitude, after my rooster who would never do as told. He's going to be pampered with yet more old ladies. I'm going to have 6 old hens to see them through their old days on 12 September.

SAM_1165.JPG

Apricot Lemonade are very happy.
SAM_1164.JPG
SAM_1163.JPG

So was Chrysanthemum Eastern Star.
SAM_1162.JPG

These are Rainbow mixed.
SAM_1161.JPG
SAM_1160.JPG

Two years ago, my Salvia amistad's heart was ripped out by the wind. The whole centre came off like a brolly. I took tons of cuttings. This year, I took no chance and keep trimming the taller branches, but still it has kept growing and it is now taller than the Rudbeckia behind it. I wish I had more of these yellow statuesque plants and the colour is just screaming at a distance. I don't necessarily like magenta or deep red, but this zesty, cheerful yellow is definitely me!
SAM_1173.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In the allotment, Paul has tons of comfrey. The only reason I knew it was comfrey was because of its distinctive flower. One day, I accosted him and asked for a bit of it. Fed up with buying fertiilisers. He smiled and said he would do it one Saturday.

I saw him 2 months ago and felt a bit hurt that I hadn't been given the plant. Just a polite hello. Last month, I saw I had an extra plant amongst my horse-radish and irises and to this date, I don't know if that was comfrey. LOL!

Was dividing my hellebores yesterday to pave way for another structure: either a coop or greenhouse. I can't bear it. Friend's house is like a ghetto and mine IS a ghetto. I don't need help in that respect. But staring at my extra plants and my pocket, I might just need that.

Surprise, surprise! It rained last night. What a sweet surprise. Just when I thought the soil was exposing its dryiness.

Alstro bought as a packet
SAM_1180.JPG

This beauty should be given AGM. Big bold, beautiful and resistant to SLUGS/SNAILS! RHS please take note! Wonderful Omega, blooming for dates and no blemishes!
SAM_1179.JPG
SAM_1177.JPG

Enormous beefsteak to which I poured bucketfuls of water. Will do it again next year? Yes! 100%
SAM_1176.JPG

This stunning flower is robbed of its details. Sorry! Don't even know the name!
SAM_1175.JPG

You see what I mean? This come out late and as soon as it unfurled its petals, the SS have had a party!
SAM_1174.JPG

Ah, sweet surprise v SS!

Attachments

• SAM_1178.JPG
    SAM_1178.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 45

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all: Grey start but it's might be humid, like yesterday. Even though it rained, it was so humid.

Some photos are repeats, but I just want to see the performance of the small new camera!

Salvia La Mancha
SAM_0224.JPG

Salmon Dance
SAM_0223.JPG

Coreopsis
SAM_0222.JPG

Cafe au lait: I have bought this about 3 times. Most of the times when they were £1 - dry and shrivelled and I kept thinking they would not make it.

SAM_0221.JPG

This is a most undesirable alstro. I bought it because it was reduced and a big clump. Well, hopefully, the bees will have cross pollinated them.
SAM_0220.JPG

The back of Fancy Pants.
SAM_0219.JPG

Dyson's Joy
SAM_0218.JPG
SAM_0217.JPG

Eastern Star from Sarah Raven
SAM_0216.JPG

From Kings Seeds
SAM_0215.JPG
SAM_0214.JPG

In between the petals, there are some yelllow bits.
SAM_0212.JPG

SAM_0211.JPG

I need to find out the name of this unique plant.

Attachments

• SAM_0213.JPG
    SAM_0213.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 53
  • SAM_0210.JPG
    SAM_0210.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 51
  • SAM_0209.JPG
    SAM_0209.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 51
  • SAM_0208.JPG
    SAM_0208.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 90
  • SAM_0207.JPG
    SAM_0207.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 53
  • SAM_0206.JPG
    SAM_0206.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 47
  • SAM_0205.JPG
    SAM_0205.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 59
  • SAM_0204.JPG
    SAM_0204.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 48

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It was cold last night. and I bet your folks up north have switched on the radiators. I had 2 tops on, which was a record. Sad that the weather is mostly cloudy. Before, the temperatures never seemed to be that low and sunshine always made up for it. No, not this year. It was lovely catching up with GW on youtube. I have a little confession to make: Adam's carrots were the same sizes as mine. I should have used garden soil, with clay as they would have made for better crop. My carrots were even smaller because I forgot to water them. Would I do it again? You bet! They were sweet multi coloured and Purple King. They were cooked soft and were so delciious. Reminded me of the tiny carrot used by haute cuisiine - very tiny, glazed and used as garnish to beautify the dish.

My dahlias are thinkers and not willing to share the joy, so more repeats:

A lovely low growing alstroemeria
SAM_1221.JPG

Teesbrooke Audrey which I have been prepping for seed collection.
SAM_1220.JPG
SAM_1219.JPG
SAM_1218.JPG

aster novi-belgii dark purple - Late bloomer, but beautiful enough.

Make no mistake - not Apricot Lemonade, but Xentho!
SAM_1216.JPG
SAM_1215.JPG

Cupcake has split into trefoil - all 3 of them
SAM_1214.JPG
SAM_1213.JPG
SAM_1212.JPG

This has now become more intense in its yellow.
SAM_1211.JPG
SAM_1210.JPG
SAM_1209.JPG

SAM_1217.JPG

Twister. Bought the little plant perhaps this year, was very happy that they are flowering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been out today in the garden, pruned the wisteria thought I best get it done and pruned the apple tree while I was up there . Tidied up the tomato plants cutting moldy bit off which is expected now with damp atmosphere in the GH , tidy up any other vulnerable plant in the GH as well mainly fuchsia and pelargoniums.

Found a rat in the GH sitting around looking very unwell clearly been poisoned, I moved it out of the way under a shrub, its not nice seeing an animal suffer a painful death no matter how much people don't like them.

Fed all the pots / tomato and dead headed.

Thought I see if I had any potatoes I weren't expecting anything seen as the frost got them in spring and the plants had been pitiful, got half a bucket of spuds not much but much more than I were expecting . I planted the wallflowers in that bed to grow on until they go into there final spot .

Been painting some aluminium to match the GH , its so I can attach the wire to it for the grapevine.

Got some bulbs yesterday from the GC and lidl are getting in bulbs now.

Has Your parcel turned up Alp ? I were expecting it to on saturday . If not should be there Monday.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
took some pictures today its been a while , I give up to trying to stand the plants back up.
DSC01453.JPG
DSC01452.JPG
DSC01455.JPG

My echinacea have been like this all summer , I am changing them next year for E.pallida
DSC01456.JPG
DSC01458.JPG
DSC01461.JPG
DSC01464.JPG
DSC01466.JPG
DSC01472.JPG

dahlia Red Labyrinth first flower.
DSC01473.JPG

Ensete bit shredded but still standing
DSC01474.JPG
DSC01475.JPG
DSC01476.JPG
DSC01480.JPG

My brugmansia haven't really come good , after the wind ripped their heads off its been a long wait , the one of the left is getting there but by the time it big enough to flower I'll have to lifted it. one on the right had it i think the slugs keep getting it.
DSC01481.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question