Magazine style - all inclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning a very grim day winds / rain I'll be doing some tidying up over the weekend . I moved quite a few plant last night next to the house to try and protect them but I'll have to wait and see

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning a very grim day winds / rain I'll be doing some tidying up over the weekend . I moved quite a few plant last night next to the house to try and protect them but I'll have to wait and see

You'd better hold onto them like your dear life! Even here, the winds have been terrifying. My Eupatoriums are swaying like mad. I have tied my beloved Rudbeckia Herbstonnes to a broom stick. Shame I don't have too many of those sticks around.

Scaling some tall iris bulbs and got 4 bags and I have replanted 3 to the front. The soil is still dry. I want to cry! Still 2 more to plant out. I wish I had Monty's tall white ones! Any Allium purple Sensation seeds left, Perki!?

Could swap you with the Omega - I think I have 3 of them in the garden. I have a litany of dahlias from 30cm to 120cm and I see NO FLOWERS! I should have 20 different varieties at the very least.

The winds do strike fear into your very heart and I live far away from the centre of the angry airs! I feel sorry for those caught in the eye!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You'd better hold onto them like your dear life! Even here, the winds have been terrifying. My Eupatoriums are swaying like mad. I have tied my beloved Rudbeckia Herbstonnes to a broom stick. Shame I don't have too many of those sticks around.

Scaling some tall iris bulbs and got 4 bags and I have replanted 3 to the front. The soil is still dry. I want to cry! Still 2 more to plant out. I wish I had Monty's tall white ones! Any Allium purple Sensation seeds left, Perki!?

Could swap you with the Omega - I think I have 3 of them in the garden. I have a litany of dahlias from 30cm to 120cm and I see NO FLOWERS! I should have 20 different varieties at the very least.

The winds do strike fear into your very heart and I live far away from the centre of the angry airs! I feel sorry for those caught in the eye!
I have got some not many left seed head of purple sensation you can have them , i am pretty sure I've got allium mount everest with visible seeds on the old flower stalks

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sweating like a p**! The air has been very warm. I long for a cool day. Repotted 5 pots with all sorts from Farmer Gracy and labels have all faded. Wait till everything is separated or near the end of the season. Oh, dear! End of season and I haven't seen Zenj's Nomocharis which they don't even stock.

Would love some Mount Everest seeds. Found about 4 Fritillaria Imperialis bulbs and planted them all in and left them in a dry area. So humid. Just not nice.

I wish I had more Rudbeckia Herbstonne or Liaciniata. They are tall and striking. I've one each. Can't believe I have 3 Omegas and all those Colour Spectacle, Special X Factor, Cafe au Lait ... are nowhere to be found. Natal has been slug magnet and not a shoot have the chance to come up. I have just discovered that. Late August and I am already feeling sad.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's much calmer this morning

Whilst trying to organise the photos, I deleted them all.

Abutilon which I raised from seeds. This seedling looked weak and the leaves curled up. Most exasperating. Guess it's like raising a child who is weak or unresponsive. Suddenly, it's blossomed and rewarded me with this intricate blooms which took one day to unfurl its petals.
SAM_0154.JPG
SAM_0152.JPG
SAM_0151.JPG
SAM_0150.JPG
SAM_0148.JPG

Little camera is a bit disappointing. Or I should say I'm not very good at taking photos.

Chunky camera
SAM_0857.JPG

Omega 2
SAM_0853.JPG

Aster Island
SAM_0852.JPG

Omega 3!
SAM_0850.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0149.JPG
    SAM_0149.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 48

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Went to this lovely nursery! Nestled in the valley and it was so well maintained. And no terrible traffic noise! Also went to View nursery!
SAM_1004.JPG

Purple Delight - bought from British GC. Quite dear, but it has now 3 flowering stems. Very pleased.

SAM_1035.JPG
SAM_1034.JPG

SAM_1024.JPG

Salvia Patens
SAM_1033.JPG

Cherry Pie Salvia

SAM_1031.JPG
SAM_1030.JPG

Salvia La Mancha

SAM_1022.JPG
SAM_1021.JPG

Purple Delight again

SAM_1039.JPG

Another collarette

Pooh Collarette - bought reduced very late from Blue Diamond and yet it's quite interesting. AGM status

SAM_1038.JPG

SAM_1037.JPG

Was very pleased to have bought some 3 or 4 Fritillaria Imperialis £1 each in a 2 or 3L pot!

Attachments

• SAM_1023.JPG
    SAM_1023.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 45
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon another dreary day. Plants have been battered around but in all not as bad as I thought it were going to be, lots of snapped rose flower stalks and leaning plants . I moved quite a lot of the pots round the side of the house which has helped . I did move one pot which has a eucomis pole evansii ( GW friday ) into the GHouse and the flower stalk still got snapped not happy, not sure if I've caught it on my jumper when collecting tomatoes or maybe I have a tomato theft :unsure: either way its broke.

That sounds very cheap for fritillaria so cheap its sounds suspicious :unsure: have you checked to see if the bulbs are intact / still in the pot ?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to a quieter day, but very dark and grey and as I said, summer is over! Looking at the temperatures, I think summer is no more!

Last night, I hallucinated about heavy rain, again! No such luck. Winds had blown down our make-shift scarlet emperor frame and the plants were full of stems and tendrils, but very few beans. Had some beans with red spotty pod and I googled, out came Dragon Tongue Beans

1598246467805.png

Don't remember buying these. Have to say, the late sowing of sweetcorns in the allotment had produced much bettern corns.

SAM_1070.JPG

Hydrangea Curly Sue
SAM_1069.JPG

Believe it or not, these poor imitation is also called Mrytle's Folly!
SAM_1068.JPG
SAM_1067.JPG

This one bought late from Springfield.

This mrytle's folly from Thurrock gc!
SAM_0894.JPG

Bahama Aster is getting taller than I want.
SAM_1066.JPG
SAM_1065.JPG

Glorious R Firecrackers
SAM_1064.JPG
SAM_1063.JPG

San Marco F2
SAM_1062.JPG
SAM_1053.JPG

A calming collarette Teesbrooke Audry

Helenium Autumnale Fuego Bought 2 of these £3 each.
SAM_1052.JPG

I wanted to laugh when I saw Perki's burgeoning taller lupin spikes and said to myself: you'd better not show yours. Well, here is one of them. Setting seeds, but punny!
SAM_1051.JPG
SAM_1051.JPG

Echinacea Eccentric - don't think the seeds are viable. Love all echinaceas!
SAM_1050.JPG

Have the feeling that I bought this from Blue Diamond
SAM_1049.JPG

This is from SpringField or Blue Diamond. Reduced to £1
SAM_1048.JPG

Definitely Blue Diamond
SAM_1047.JPG

From my beloved Clockhouse
SAM_1046.JPG

Glorious Tithonia
SAM_1045.JPG

Beefsteak Tom destined to top my pizza. I hate pizza - very plasticy, but little emperor just can't get enough of it.
SAM_1044.JPG

Best variegated phlox I have so far.
SAM_1043.JPG

Perki: As for Fritillaria Imperialis, complaint has been sent in! 3 were rottens.

I used to have some Eucomis which came back for 2 years and then no more. Intricate lovely thing. A lot of my quinoas broke. I won't grow them again. Like weeds and they took up a lot of room and tall as well, blocking all the light.

Attachments

• SAM_0697.JPG
    SAM_0697.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Read this story about National Trust being Virtue Signalling!

A lot of National Trust properties house artefacts which were looted or bought with slavery money. Are to to demolish all of these historical houses? Extremes on either side are not doing us any good. Soon, there will be no statues. Some really should be there! As there is no perfect human being to be exhibited as a statue, I suggest a snowflake ..LOL!

I have sold my samsung nx2000 camera. Lost about £15. But at least, I don't have to lug it. Too heavy. I put it on market at half past 11pm last night and it was gone this morning. The small red one is also on sale.

Went to Chinese restaurant in Greenwich and was amazed at how busy it was. This place asked for 15% service charge, with the word discretionary next to it. But if you didn't want to pay the same amount, the waiters would threaten to take a picture of your car and send it to Greenwich council and that the service charge covered the car parking charges stipulated by the council. A gold mine for council. Considering it a Monday, I was so surprised that it was so busy. Nobody was doing takeaway except us and I waited for a long time.

Whilst waiting, I saw a family occupying that biggest table had tons of food not touched and they asked for takeaway boxes to take the left-over or practically untouched food home. I then realised that they might be doing the Eat in Help out scheme. Googling confirmed that it was participating in the scheme. No wonder some quick thinking Chinese bought their next 2 meals there. When the scheme was first introduced, I read in another forum that they booked some top restaurants for dining out. I then realised that I wanted to try some of them. Alas, all booked up until September. Some forumer said, "You snooze, you lose!" Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :banghead: I am slow in so many respects. Wish I were sharp as Judge Judy!

Courgettes are so big and so many about that I am fed up with looking at them.

SAM_1078.JPG
SAM_1077.JPG
SAM_1076.JPG

Shropshire Lad
SAM_1075.JPG

A most deformed chrysanthemum rainbow mixed. The petals are always like this! See its older sibling behind. I think I will rip it up.
SAM_1074.JPG

This is more like it.
SAM_1073.JPG
SAM_1072.JPG

2nd year I have grown cucumber or 3rd? My first proper one
SAM_1087.JPG

SAM_1079.JPG

Can't get over this unique colour - so interesting.
SAM_1081.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_1080.JPG
    SAM_1080.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all: A very windy day yesterday. Wind rustled as if they were waves lapping on the seashore. Not a lot of rain at all. Took some cuttings - penstemon Blackbird, Mother of Pearl, Sour Grapes, even Salvia Hot lips. A lady granny passing by told me that she loved them. It confirmed the sad truth that people only liked boring stuff. In a diy front entrance, a lot of people were buying tiny begonias - the most boring border small flowered ones. I don't think I have room for those.

Yesterday, on the way to town, the queue to A12 was especially busy. Turned out to be police gathering evidence in Stop and Search. A detective bagged a mobile phone and other materials taken from a car. Glad to see police doing proper work.

Going to Sissinghurst today. A long drive and will be some gc hopping. Watched Diarmuid Gavin and Beechgrove yesterday and have now caught up with all gc programmes. Too windy to take photos. Little Emperor is on holiday and the weather has been far from ideal.

I am already mourning the passing of summer - no more warmth, radiance and my dahlia cuttings have been flowerless. Very sad. All the courgettes and quinoas have blocked the light and the dahlias are still struggling to establish. From now on, they will grow at the back, not in the front of the patch. Having said that, I don't perspire so badly. A silver lining.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We just enjoyed all this. Just under £11 and my mouth is on fire!
2B16B1F3-37A0-4468-A7A2-5C25C20C3392.jpeg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As we couldn't book an earlier slot, we had to kill some time in Lakeside. It was so busy in Lakeside eateries and tons of people were queueing for the half priced food. Nando used electronic order format which reduced human contact. And by the look of it, I need a phone.

Went to some nurseries to kill time on hand. One Blue Diamond was very expensive. An old man next to us in the car park sat in his car to listen to Archers in the half hour we were there. The prices were dear: a pot of echinacea costs £14.99.

SAM_0005.JPG
SAM_0006.JPG
SAM_0008.JPG
SAM_0009.JPG

This nursery, on the other hand, was extremely popular! Nested on a hillside and on the way UP the car parking space, I saw tons of cars, it's like going to National Trust Nymans!
SAM_0010.JPG
SAM_0011.JPG

On the way down to the nursery proper!
SAM_0012.JPG
SAM_0014.JPG

A generous seating area!
SAM_0015.JPG

Countryside iin Kent
SAM_0017.JPG
SAM_0020.JPG

Sissinghurst - one of Sarah Raven's homes. She's married to the present owner. We arrived at Sissinghurst at 3.20 and those volunteers had 6 to 8 pages of names and of course, she couldn't find our names. The place looked very sad, unloved and abandoned.

SAM_0024.JPG
SAM_0026.JPG
SAM_0040.JPG

To my absolute horror, they removed a big area and turned it to a desert planting area - big boulders, tons of sand, stones, rocks, grasses, silvery plants ..
SAM_0028.JPG
SAM_0030.JPG

I think this saves a lot of watering. I can't visualise myself having such a garden.

SAM_0031.JPG

Lovely Lily Pond
SAM_0032.JPG

Crinum
SAM_0033.JPG

a lovely but blurred Pelargonium
SAM_0034.JPG
SAM_0035.JPG
SAM_0036.JPG

SAM_0037.JPG
SAM_0038.JPG
SAM_0040.JPG
SAM_0041.JPG

Hop houses!

Plants were straying on the paths. Of course, being so late in the season, not a lot of blooms. The journey home was a nightmare. Very congested a lane traffic. We spent more time being stuck in the rush hour traffic than in the garden. One lesson I have learned is that we must go to Scotney Castle as well to stretch the value of the mileage and petrol. However, we were given 3pm slot, so not much we can do. It's such a long way and the visit was a bit of a disappointment. We had half priced MacDonald on the way home.

Shame we couldn't visit the place in June - should have been GLORIOUS at that time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It been fine but damp for most of the day until about 4pm and its hasn't stopped raining since . Its been a rotten summer , seem to get our summer in spring and then have a never ending autumn.

Shame your day wasn't as good as expected nice to see the pictures regardless anyway . Surely an hour slot isn't long enough to look round ?

Do you want these allium seed head alp ? you'll have to pm me if you do. I found another variety the other day with seeds allium silver spring I think its called.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all: Rained, but not as much as I'd like. It only rained at about 4pm here too. We went to the allotment and harvested some seeds and some more runner beans. The flesh was tough as old boot. Very happy to have seen more cucumbers x 2. Might let them seed as we can't eat fast enough.

Yes, summer has totally rotten and won't come back. But this kind of temperature is ideal for growing more salad leaves. But I don't think I will grow them outside as washing them costs me a lot of money. The fear of eating slugs/snails is just too much to risk. I have kept adding left over burnt woodash to the bottom together with manure and 2 months, they vegs would be left alone, but now the pungent smell has dissipated and huge slugs are now everywhere. I have found out that my Dahlia Natal - a red pompon - hadn't been given a chance because all new shoots had been gnawed to show numerous stems. Then Duo dahlia - the one with red and white big lovely clump - had been divided and one is flowering. The other had had a lovely stem with buds and then strong winds came along and the stem snapped. Fed up with it.

We were given 3pm slot and of course you can stay as long as you like. But we have been there so many times, we knew the layout and it was a small garden in a big estate. Now that most flowers have finished flowering, and the rooms just looked so unloved. You wouldn't see that in NT Nymans. Might go there when the weather is better.

All my Cosmos Apricot Lemonades are very happy!
SAM_1103.JPG

Love these chrysanthemum - many colours
SAM_1102.JPG
SAM_1101.JPG
SAM_1100.JPG

Omega - some of them must be from cuttings
SAM_1099.JPG

An early Twister
SAM_1098.JPG

Echinacea
SAM_1097.JPG
SAM_1096.JPG

Fancy Pants
SAM_1094.JPG
SAM_1093.JPG

When I was photographing the new Twister, I saw this huge jumbo jet buzzing around. I was so excited to see it feeding on my nectar from these petunias. Went indoor to take a camera and the blasted camera would not open its shutter. Went in to get the new small one and I pressed move mode but forgot to press record. Then it flew away and this is all I have! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: It's a fly Bombylius major! I have never seen one with such long whiskers, so it might be something else. Also the wings are a bit red. So gutted that I didn' press the record button.
SAM_0186.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all
As been very wet here rain rain and more rain the pond is overflowing and cool ,yes Perki poor summer here too and Septembers looking grim ,breezy and still raining this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question