Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely photos! What is that beauty below the dahlia please? I actually had an echinop showing last month when I dug up the whole plant that had been soooooooooooo invasive. Now seeing your photo ... Perhaps I should have put it in a pot. :banghead:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't see Zenji there with the pictures I thought whats alp doing with that delightful little Ligularia and Lythrums :LOL:

Thats a nice dahlia alp big Omega I like pinky / apricot colour in the garden

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very itchy morning: Swarms of mozzies trying to attack my face and now I have 2 more war scars! Even mozzies can predict a hot day ahead. Non stop flying right in front of my face. Bought 6 bottles of Avon and can't find one!

Haven't done the back yet. Dreading the heat. Yesterday, I saw a bud in my abutilon which I raised from seeds. They were very happy germinating, but about a foot, they started having curled up leaves and they were weakly and you then realised why plants were raised with a lot of research, calibrated heat, fertiliser and sunshine. Bought some 3" bottles of instant liquid fertiliser which I stuck into one of the abutilon and the following day, I saw a reddish bud. Very excited.

All the dahlias are nice and this Omega was a great surprise - big, blousey and no staking required. The great thing is that they stay fresh and unblemished for a long time.

Sour Grapes, Arabesque F1 and Blackbird penstemons - all very happy in the front garden
SAM_0841.JPG

Amazing one plant Coreopsis
SAM_0840.JPG

This year, I have clumps my plants a bit more successfully, but still I have one one Savlia Patens Deep Blue here. Just wonder when the Caifornian tree poppies are going to flower! 2 there doing nothing ...
SAM_0837.JPG

Teebrooke Audry - a very serene collarette
SAM_0836.JPG

3 Omega blooms
SAM_0835.JPG
SAM_0834.JPG
SAM_0833.JPG

A very striking collarette
SAM_0830.JPG
SAM_0829.JPG

Now @Perki and @Zenj : Please tell me what this huge, tall monstrosity is! I have quite a few of them growing everywhere! Are they from bird feeder???
SAM_0828.JPG
SAM_0827.JPG

A new dahlia and I need to see if the label is there!
SAM_0821.JPG
SAM_0820.JPG
SAM_0819.JPG

This little camera can achieve some great photos and here is one of these amazing shoots!
SAM_0817.JPG
SAM_0816.JPG
SAM_0815.JPG
SAM_0814.JPG
SAM_0813.JPG

My very first proper cucumber. All the others are about 4 inches long! I really admire people like Zenj who can raise their plants from a pot!
SAM_0811.JPG

Salvia Euphoria when it is small and young!
SAM_0810.JPG

I am never tied of taking this beauty! Sorry, folks!
SAM_0808.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0826.JPG
    SAM_0826.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 68
  • SAM_0823.JPG
    SAM_0823.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 61

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's lovely. How come I don't get free seeds like this????? LOL!

You know they sent me sweet peas instead of iris seeds! I couldn't believe it. First time, I thought it was my mistake. Second time, I was certain they made 2 mistakes. I have a 10% discount code somewhere if you want it. The man was very angry that I soaked his seeds and most of the seeds floated. The woman gave me 10% the 2nd time when I asked how many seeds in a packet. 4 -6 seeds in a packet and they would take 7 years to come to anything.... I was such a fool!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My right hand is now swollen like cooked sausages and the skin feels taut and ready to explode. The weather was atrocious - the air was so hot that the flower petals were dried brown and curled. We had to go and water the whole lot in the allotment and I will water my whole garden later. Saw another late flowering iris on the allotment. First time in my experience I have had 2 of the same iris flowering in late July and August.

More photos of Canvey Island
IMG_8507.JPG
IMG_8511.JPG
IMG_8516.JPG
IMG_8519.JPG

We are going to pick up another water butt, but there is NOT a drop of rain. I was watching Diarmund Gavin's gardening series and was gobsmacked when he talked about rain ban in Ireland!?

1596861457473.png

It lies. Not a drop of rain here!

1596861559719.png

Weather.com is supposed to be very accurate. But no, not that I can see. Very dark, but rain is missing.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Another hot day. Freegled a big lovely blue water butt, a privet which was in a huge rubbish bin. Had it out in the hot sun, with perspiration pearls dropping right from my forehead, I halved the root ball which was completely dry. I burnt the last bit in the bonfire and dunked the main root ball in water. It was so hot. Then I watched Diarmund Gavin 3rd episode and the last bit of GW. Really loved the birds bathing in the the pond. Next door but one neighbour had yet another party and so I had bonfire. Wish I had a loud workman's radio.

No reduction anywhere. All the Brits have become Chelsea hopefuls and nothing is reduced.

I think Cosmos need heat and sunshine and Newcastle might be just too cold for it. The weather report said 12c this morning, bet you might need to turn on radiator because it's so cold. Here, little emperor wants an air con which I had given away at £35 as it was so noisy and it needed a hole drilled up for exiting vent. People were fighting all over it. That was 2 years ago.

Cosmos Apricot Lemonade

SAM_0893.JPG
SAM_0892.JPG

I fleeced the seeds from a basket and these are my results!
SAM_0890.JPG
SAM_0889.JPG
SAM_0888.JPG
SAM_0887.JPG

Dahlia Toto!
SAM_0886.JPG

The abutilon which I raised from seed
SAM_0884.JPG
SAM_0882.JPG
SAM_0880.JPG

Fancy Pants dahlia - not mine! From a gc. I don't know where mine is or if it's dead!
SAM_0878.JPG

Get some idea of how to make one of these!
SAM_0875.JPG

A very Chinese water feature. That plastic bird has ruined my tableau!
SAM_0874.JPG
SAM_0872.JPG
SAM_0871.JPG
SAM_0870.JPG

£25 for this noisy maker!
SAM_0869.JPG
SAM_0868.JPG
SAM_0867.JPG
SAM_0866.JPG
SAM_0865.JPG
SAM_0864.JPG
SAM_0852.JPG

SAM_0848.JPG

People were already sitting by the sea. This is a view from the seawall! Huge mudflat. Very serene and it just needed some trees. Forgot it was little emperor's 25th birthday. Can't believe he's so old! LOL!

Attachments

• SAM_0876.JPG
    SAM_0876.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon , it has been hot down south but not to hot up here more humid getting to mid 20s , today was very cloudy this morning but nice sunny and warm .

I've been out on a tour to Gresgarth Gardens , nice run out on the bike over the trough of bowland some beautiful views . Had a hiccup though thought I'd broke down in the middle nowhere no signal , bike went totally dead engine off / ignition off nothing , messed about with the battery and other bits thought I were going have to walk or push the bike somewhere until I got signal. Noticed the front light still on and then it cottoned on what I done , I manged somehow to flick the kill switch with my gloves while look round to take in the views :facepalm:. Turned the bike back on and it was good to go :) . I didn't come back the same way just in case I did proper breakdown. I'll put some pictures on later I just need to sort through them.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am sitting here, sweating all over - huge pearl drops from eyebrow, forehead, cheeks, whole body... It's a nightmare! And this dreadful heat continued.

That must be a lovely place, Perki! Seemed to be enormous and with a lovely river going through it. Most amazing! Love those pleaded ??? (I need some of those to hide the house from the sunlight. We're using car screens to screen off the heat and we argue where the tin foil bit facing in or out.) We went far and wide to Van Hage GC and then off to Burston. Have to say they don't store enough varieties of plants. Nice to have a day out, but not for serious plant hunt!

Gresgarth must be lovely - a bit rugged because of the landscape, a huge proper river, and some italianate design. Shame your bike broke down. Just yesterday, I was saying to myself that bike of yours made such a lovely sight.

Remember the Fancy Pants photo I took yesterday from a gc. This morning, it unfurled its first petals and this afternoon, with the heat and sunshine, it actually is saying a proper hello! Right at my front garden.
SAM_0766.JPG

SAM_0769.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0768.JPG
    SAM_0768.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 58

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon , it has been hot down south but not to hot up here more humid getting to mid 20s , today was very cloudy this morning but nice sunny and warm .

I've been out on a tour to Gresgarth Gardens , nice run out on the bike over the trough of bowland some beautiful views . Had a hiccup though thought I'd broke down in the middle nowhere no signal , bike went totally dead engine off / ignition off nothing , messed about with the battery and other bits thought I were going have to walk or push the bike somewhere until I got signal. Noticed the front light still on and then it cottoned on what I done , I manged somehow to flick the kill switch with my gloves while look round to take in the views :facepalm:. Turned the bike back on and it was good to go :) . I didn't come back the same way just in case I did proper breakdown. I'll put some pictures on later I just need to sort through them.

Very lucky!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some pictures I thinned them out best I can , Surprised how many pictures I do take.
It were a nice day out , the gardens weren't as perfect as I imaged and alot of it is woodland / rough grass .
The Pond and the wallled kitchen garden were brilliant , the house is beautiful as well I feel like doing a lottery ticket or two next week. I reckon its nicer in April / May early spring lots of hellebores and azalea etc

DSC01352.jpg
DSC01355.jpg
DSC01359.jpg
DSC01370.jpg
DSC01375.jpg
DSC01391.jpg
DSC01398.jpg
DSC01399.jpg
DSC01402.jpg
DSC01407.jpg
DSC01409.jpg
DSC01415.jpg
DSC01418.jpg
DSC01442.jpg
DSC01421.jpg
DSC01425.jpg
DSC01426.jpg
DSC01430.jpg
DSC01435.jpg
DSC01438.jpg
DSC01446.jpg
DSC01450.jpg

This is a magonlia I come across couldn't believe the size of the leaves, I have quite large hands as well
DSC01393.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think the pond was man-made. Imagine making a big pond! Surprised you didn't take a snap of the river. Nice to live near a beautiful venue opening to public. As for the herbaceous border, I think yours with your planting is better than those border with no definite wow factor and the dahlias look like a cut flower raised bed! Want to go to Nymans now. Love the topiary there.

Some magnolias have flowers bigger than our faces! Perki, you've a pianist hand! Long and elegant fingers. Reminds me of my son's!

Went to the allotment to water the plants at 7.30pm. This year I have watered all of them. Last year, I never bothered with the irises, but I was surprised at how few of them flowering this year.

Very late at night 8.30pm and saw these on the allotment. Fate will have it that I bought exactly the same gladioli this year from Clockhouse. I was thinking of buying a unique green one and whilst comparing the corms, I made a mistake and took home this one! They are now languishing in a pot.
SAM_0910.JPG
SAM_0909.JPG
SAM_0908.JPG

Rejman's Firecracker!
SAM_0907.JPG
SAM_0906.JPG

The lobelia tupa has now become a thug!
SAM_0905.JPG

Out of nowhere grown this sunflower. I hope it will entice birds to eat the seeds.
SAM_0904.JPG
SAM_0903.JPG

This could be a reblooming iris
SAM_0902.JPG

1597034581148.png

SAM_0901.JPG

I don't think this is a comfrey???? Most probably a weed! I have direct sown, sown in a pot and the result is zilch!
SAM_0900.JPG
SAM_0899.JPG

This white flower is part of this red veined flower plant. Would you believe it?
SAM_0898.JPG
SAM_0897.JPG

This is the biggest courgette so far!

Monch Aster!
SAM_0896.JPG
SAM_0895.JPG

Very big antler petalled dahlia - very interesting!
SAM_0894.JPG

Another hot day! Watering when it is a bit lighter. Could have done it now, but for the nosy rooster.

Attachments

• SAM_0893.JPG
    SAM_0893.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 48
  • SAM_0892.JPG
    SAM_0892.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 46

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's unbelievably hot! The heat from yesterday lingers on! It's awful and I am not feeling the heat at 8.05 in the morning. Indoor temperature is 24.5c. It's cool here.

1597130325308.png

No thunderstorm or rain! Just heat and humidity! So unbearable!

SAM_0917.JPG
SAM_0916.JPG

Ah, now I see the river. Not many estate can boast of a river running through it.

SAM_0923.JPG

Omega is huge! not very tall.
SAM_0922.JPG
SAM_0921.JPG

Bought it because it's reduced.
SAM_0920.JPG

Some melon
SAM_0919.JPG

Some of my penstemons Arabesque F1 red one. Sour grapes, and blackbird! All very happy here1
SAM_0918.JPG

Blackbird

SAM_0915.JPG

Some interesting pompon from Blue Diamond
SAM_0914.JPG

This reminds me of my Honka, but where is my Honka
SAM_0913.JPG
SAM_0912.JPG

Sweating at 8.17am! Unbelievable!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What is that apple tree, Zenj? Most prolific. Sadly, my Fiesta had 3 apples and 2 got puffy browned flesh and when I tried to remove the most rotten one, the only good one fell off. It was big, but still too raw to be edible.

Amazing that your incarnata is already flowering. Mine (I have several) are still trying to get up to one foot. I don't think they will flower this year. Perhaps a bit of Epsom salt might help. I have tons of curassavica and tuberosa seeds, but they have disappeared after germination. I wonder if my lean to is full of fungal spores. Need a bit of clean up.

I bid for another Samsung 16mpx and it was so slim and light. Came very late and so the light was not bright enough. The Crystal Foundation clematis was at the allotment and it was nearly 8pm.

SAM_0005.JPG
SAM_0004.JPG
SAM_0003.JPG
SAM_0002.JPG
SAM_0001.JPG

By the look of it, not so good as my Samsung 12mpx. Need to try again. Including postage, it was just under £19. At least, it is light and the screen clean. Will try again later.

It is a bit more humane to sleep last night. At least, there was a bit of breeze and this morning was cool. It was very hot even though it was 8pm last night. Another allotmenteer had to beat a retreat as he said he had been slaughtered by mozzies! I know how he felt.

More watering again. Please rain, rain or thunderstorm for 2 days!

Attachments

• SAM_0008.JPG
    SAM_0008.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 51
  • SAM_0007.JPG
    SAM_0007.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question