Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Best places to buy seeds
I've always had terrific good luck with any Burpee.com seeds. (Every packet of seeds now is so expensive, though.)

You could try reaching out to your local Master Gardeners or a local garden club. They will know where you can find "shared" seeds. That way you get seeds that provide plants hardy to your zone, too. Plus lots of good advice on how to grow things in your area, I'm sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love baker creek but admit they are expensive…but shipping is free. also, seeds now have good sales too. Otherwise, local farms are a good spot…and burpee at Walmart aren’t bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sort of a loaded question. Depends on the types of seed you want. Not all companies carry the same seeds. For example I purchased my sungold seeds from Johnny seeds since they stock them and they are reliable and dependable and have a high reputation in the business.

I needed sweet potato slips had to go through another company southern seed exposure. I have purchased seeds from Park for certain broccoli seeds. The list goes on. If you are looking for heirloom there are companies that specialize in that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sort of a loaded question. Depends on the types of seed you want. Not all companies carry the same seeds. For example I purchased my sungold seeds from Johnny seeds since they stock them and they are reliable and dependable and have a high reputation in the business.

I needed sweet potato slips had to go through another company southern seed exposure. I have purchased seeds from Park for certain broccoli seeds. The list goes on. If you are looking for heirloom there are companies that specialize in that.
One thing I was looking for is basically fruits. Vegetables and herbso, wherever I could get the best quality seeds from I'll shop and maybe make them the number one spot that I'll go to pretty much. That's all I'm looking for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you want to plant fruits from seeds you can, but it will take a lot more time to bear fruit (years) and you might miss out on some good things.

Most of your citrus plants are grafted with a rootstock. For example Meyer lemon trees are grafted in order to keep them from getting to large and being more cold hardy. Also you will bear fruit usually the same year you purchase a plant at a nursery.

If you just want to plant vegetables and herbs and are not real selective all of your box stores will carry those. They are good seeds.

If you decide to plant fruit trees be cognizant that not all fruit trees can grow and produce fruit in any zone. Someone mentioned checking with your extension center and ask a master gardener what they would recommend.

I’m a master gardener in Mobile AL and I can tell you that a lot of the fruit trees sold at box stores will grow but will not produce fruit like apples and etc due to not having enough chilling hours.

Ask a Question