Looking to Start Some Seeds: Suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I already have two good-sized, healthy basil plants(more than I know what to do with), two different mint plants(not sure what they are exactly), chives, lavender, and Rosemary. I'm thinking of starting some seeds in pots this winter but I'm not sure what to plant.

Any suggestions for herbs to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Haha, I meant in terms of herbs! ;)

How about Bay? I use it all the time, it's really handy in cooking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haha, I meant in terms of herbs! ;)

How about Bay? I use it all the time, it's really handy in cooking.
Lol! Sorry. :LOL: Should have figured that.

I've never tried bay, but I'd be happy to try it. What about thyme? My mom has lemon and regular thyme I believe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bay tends to be used in things that cook slowly - eg a stew, casserole, or roast, and you take the leaves out when it has finished cooking. Thyme is a good one too, goes very well with pork (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Why don't you try going some actual fruit/vegetables? I bet there are quite few that can grow in your area!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have a steady supply of lemon grass, sage, thyme, chives, Italian sweet basil, Thai basil, Thai chai, and mint. I have been wanting to grow some more rosemary, oregano, and bay. We eat a lot of Asian foods, so the lemon grass, chives, and thai basil are in nearly every meal. Think about what dishes and types of cuisine you like. If you like Italian try oregano, sweet basil, and marjoram. French-American (IE the soups and meat dishes we have adapted to be commonly consumed) rosemary, chives, sage, and mint. Rosemary mixed into a burger patty with garlic, sage on lamb chops and pork cuts, basil in any tomato soup or chowder... the list goes on! :)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Have you tried coriander? It takes only a month to grow and start harvesting the leaves if you grow it from seed. You can dry the leaves in the sun and process into powder for future use. If you leave the plant for 3 weeks, you can harvest seeds which are more aromatic than the leaves and have a higher keeping quality.

Ask a Question