New here looking for help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am trying to start a garden I have indoor experience not outdoors experience I have a bunch of plants going and I live in western Pennsylvania and I'm new to gardening I don't know much about zoning so I'm here wanting to make new friends in the gardening world farming world I like knf jadam and looking for ways to make my own food and stuff like that I just need help I have 13 super hot peppers going and other veggies but this will be the most plants I've ever grown and I'm wanting to know how big does my raised bed need to be for 13 peppers or I might just leave the peppers in pots not sure yet lol sorry for the confusion I just need help because I want to start gardening farming and just growing plants flowers what ever I can grow in Pennsylvania please help anyone and everyone is welcome thank you all

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Don't stress - gardening is enjoyable. First get a comfortable chair and sit and look at your area that will become your garden.
Check out the slope and see that rain will drain to the lowest point. Look to where the midday sun shines most and that will be your main growing patch. Figure out where the wind blows from, and that direction will need to be partially blocked to calm the wind down.
Measure the growing area with a tape measure. Raised beds are normally 4' x 8' but can be as small as 2'x4'. Paths are normally the width of a wheelbarrow say, 3' but can be a walking lane width say, 2'.
Go inside and draw up your garden on a bit of paper showing the beds and paths.
Start by building the raised pepper bed. Ask any question here on the forum. If you want tomatoes this summer get some 3" pots, some good potting mix and some tomato seeds (try 'Money maker' or 'Gardeners delight').
Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Welcome!

KNF JADAM sounds very interesting. Thank you for mentioning it. Now, I want to learn more on that subject.
:)

I personally advise leaving half your pepper plants in pots, based on my personal experiences with having had lovely pepper plants blooming and fruiting, about halfway to crop maturity, when along comes some underground pest mammal such as a mole, or other rodent... that ATE UP the entire root systems of ALL 6 of my pepper plants, below the soil. :(

So, that crop never matured. If they had been in pots, I would have had a great crop!

Live & Learn.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pennsylvania stretches over three zones, 5,6,and 7, cool temperate, warm temperate and subtropical, so it depends a bit what part you are in. Might be a good move to keep those peppers going in their pots for a bit though.
Having a look about you to see what is happening in other gardens and what is offered in local nurseries can give good clues, and you can always start a thread with a particular problem if the search function doesn't help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!

KNF JADAM sounds very interesting. Thank you for mentioning it. Now, I want to learn more on that subject.
:)

I personally advise leaving half your pepper plants in pots, based on my personal experiences with having had lovely pepper plants blooming and fruiting, about halfway to crop maturity, when along comes some underground pest mammal such as a mole, or other rodent... that ATE UP the entire root systems of ALL 6 of my pepper plants, below the soil. :(

So, that crop never matured. If they had been in pots, I would have had a great crop!

Live & Learn.
Yes knf and jadam is pretty neat when building a soil of life I haven't used any other soil I just and soil as I need but I still have lots to learn because I have a tendency to go off in another direction and I mess up and have to go back and see if I can fix my mess up but it's about learning and see what works for me

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow I came on here and got a warm welcome thank you all this is going to be big for me because I really want to learn I love planting now with the very little I know I hope to gain so much knowledge now thank you all for the welcoming

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pennsylvania stretches over three zones, 5,6,and 7, cool temperate, warm temperate and subtropical, so it depends a bit what part you are in. Might be a good move to keep those peppers going in their pots for a bit though.
Having a look about you to see what is happening in other gardens and what is offered in local nurseries can give good clues, and you can always start a thread with a particular problem if the search function doesn't help.
I think I'm more 5and 6 because it gets cold but the zoning is something new to me I never looked in to it 😅 I was just going to wing it but then again I want to at least be off to a good start but let's see what happens

Ask a Question