Here we go again. More nonsense.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
$9 a plant is ridiculous! Wonder what tomato plants are going to cost this year... fortunately mine are well started on window ledges along with tomatillo and peppers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Find that local feed-store and old school garden shop. The big box stores have prices like this because many are idiots. I have a little old shop almost 2 miles from home and a 6 pack of pepper plants are still about a dollar each.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Find that local feed-store and old school garden shop. The big box stores have prices like this because many are idiots. I have a little old shop almost 2 miles from home and a 6 pack of pepper plants are still about a dollar each.
Thank goodness the county next to me is an agricultural county and they start their own plants in greenhouses for a reasonable cost. I always go there if I need to buy any and they have what I need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think a flat from them is something like $20 or $22 from memory. I didn't buy any plants last year. Used to be something like $12 per flat before Covid.

They use the 1"x2" cells so that should be 48 plants for $22 (~46 cents per plant). I personally prefer to use 2"x2" cells and that is 32 plants per flat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Years ago I would buy plants from home depot or lowes. Have not had to in years. just go from seed. I do still stop by and look every year. the small plants are around $4.99. to do at home costs around .18c.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Not bad at all. So, a flat is 30 plants?

But, unless I want some early crops, stuff that gets planted in March or April, it's easier and not that expensive to buy from the greenhouse.

They're also convenient, I can swing by on my way home from work.

Another greenhouse opened last summer, a little more expensive but better selection. Both are smaller family owned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Price check.

Stopped by my local old school garden and seed store yesterday.

Seed packs

$0.85 each
Onion Ruby Red - 1/4 oz
Onion Yellow Sweet Spanish - 1/4 oz
Lettuce Grand Rapids Leaf - 1/4 oz
Lettuce Buttercrunch - 1/4 oz
Turnip Purple Top White - 1/4 oz
Watham Butternut Squash - 1/4 oz

$0.90
Hybrid Spinach Lakeside - 1/4 oz

These are the shop's seed packets not national brands like Burpee or Ferry Morris.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, they probably buy in bulk and then repackage and sell in small amounts...that's what my feed store does and is about the same or cheaper in price.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Yes, this shop is a bulk distributor. I have been shopping there for the 5 years I've lived back in Michigan and can see the swings in price on the seed packs. 75 cents when I first moved here. $1.05 at the height of seed shortage trendy-garden stupidity. Now back to 85 cents for packs. Notice all the packs I listed are old school open pollinated type. As you would expect some of the designer hybrid tomatoes and peppers are more expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Price check.

Stopped by my local old school garden and seed store yesterday.

Seed packs

$0.85 each
Onion Ruby Red - 1/4 oz
Onion Yellow Sweet Spanish - 1/4 oz
Lettuce Grand Rapids Leaf - 1/4 oz
Lettuce Buttercrunch - 1/4 oz
Turnip Purple Top White - 1/4 oz
Watham Butternut Squash - 1/4 oz

$0.90
Hybrid Spinach Lakeside - 1/4 oz

These are the shop's seed packets not national brands like Burpee or Ferry Morris.
I knew something was off kilter when it wasn't being weighed in metric terms.

1/4 oz is 7,087 mg. Seems like Ferry Morse and Burpee are in something averaging ike 700 mg packets. You have awesome prices there.

Ask a Question