New Apartment. Need help with where to plant!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Hi there. My family moved into a new single story apartment in Zone 5 where we're allowed 2 feet of garden around the entire perimeter of the building! We're so excited to finally have a place to grow garden veggies, but we're unsure what to plant in which areas.

What areas we have:
East facing, Full morning sun - North Facing, blocked by neighboring building and large oak tree, very shady, maybe 3 hours sun - West Facing - Full afternoon sun until sunset.

What were planning on planting:
Peppers(Will probably be potted), Sun King Broccoli, Tomatoes: Rutgers and Romas, Carrots, Potatoes, Cucumbers, Garden Beans, Lettuce: Baby Red Blend, Bunching Onions and IF we can manage Pumpkins and Sugar Baby Watermelons.

We've already started our pepper and broccoli seeds. Tomatoes next! We're not sure what to plant on which face. Or if there's something else that would thrive in the shady north facing side. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Happy planting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Generally leafy vegetables do best in shade, so lettuce and other salad crops, spinach and cucumber. Carrots and beetroot, leeks and beans will take some shade, as will the potatoes. The tomatoes and peppers will like the sun.
If you are growing from seed from a reputable source it is usually worth reading the packet fully, the seedsman generally want you to have a good experience and come back. It is also a good idea to check Google 'Growing .....'
Plant more seeds than you need, then be ruthless and only keep the best ones, DON'T try and save the weaklings, it's the road to failure.
Your list looks reasonable, but, at first at least, try to stick to things you already eat rather than being tempted to try the exotic stuff for a while. Two feet is pretty minimal, and up against the house you may have to water some, on the other hand you will get some shelter from wind, and brick holds heat fairly well, so the sunny side will be good for those delicate things. Forget about growing corn, you would only get a row and it is wind pollinated so likes to be in a block. Potatoes are worth it for flavour, especially earlies, new potatoes; big old baking potatoes are so cheap it is barely worth it.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there. My family moved into a new single story apartment in Zone 5 where we're allowed 2 feet of garden around the entire perimeter of the building! We're so excited to finally have a place to grow garden veggies, but we're unsure what to plant in which areas.

What areas we have:
East facing, Full morning sun - North Facing, blocked by neighboring building and large oak tree, very shady, maybe 3 hours sun - West Facing - Full afternoon sun until sunset.

What were planning on planting:
Peppers(Will probably be potted), Sun King Broccoli, Tomatoes: Rutgers and Romas, Carrots, Potatoes, Cucumbers, Garden Beans, Lettuce: Baby Red Blend, Bunching Onions and IF we can manage Pumpkins and Sugar Baby Watermelons.

We've already started our pepper and broccoli seeds. Tomatoes next! We're not sure what to plant on which face. Or if there's something else that would thrive in the shady north facing side. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Happy planting!
You don't sound like a novice and your list is good BUT ... you forgot herbs. Please consider parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, marjoram, fennel, dill, coriander and any other condiment you use. Basil must have sun. Parsleys can replace greens in lots of dishes so plant more than one. Mint is normally in a pot.
Herbs deceive the pests that locate using smell so the herbs should be spread throughout the garden as a pest deterrent. Welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Generally leafy vegetables do best in shade, so lettuce and other salad crops, spinach and cucumber. Carrots and beetroot, leeks and beans will take some shade, as will the potatoes. The tomatoes and peppers will like the sun.
If you are growing from seed from a reputable source it is usually worth reading the packet fully, the seedsman generally want you to have a good experience and come back. It is also a good idea to check Google 'Growing .....'
Plant more seeds than you need, then be ruthless and only keep the best ones, DON'T try and save the weaklings, it's the road to failure.
Your list looks reasonable, but, at first at least, try to stick to things you already eat rather than being tempted to try the exotic stuff for a while. Two feet is pretty minimal, and up against the house you may have to water some, on the other hand you will get some shelter from wind, and brick holds heat fairly well, so the sunny side will be good for those delicate things. Forget about growing corn, you would only get a row and it is wind pollinated so likes to be in a block. Potatoes are worth it for flavour, especially earlies, new potatoes; big old baking potatoes are so cheap it is barely worth it.
The only thing we don't already use daily/weekly is the beans. They're more for just me and for fun but if I can get my toddler to eat them cuz she picked them herself, even better! Thank you for your information, it was really helpful!

You don't sound like a novice and your list is good BUT ... you forgot herbs. Please consider parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, marjoram, fennel, dill, coriander and any other condiment you use. Basil must have sun. Parsleys can replace greens in lots of dishes so plant more than one. Mint is normally in a pot.
Herbs deceive the pests that locate using smell so the herbs should be spread throughout the garden as a pest deterrent. Welcome.
Thank you! HERBS! How could I forget herbs?! We'll definitely be planting dill, basil, oregano, and parsley. Do any of these do well in the shade? We'll probably have some mint pots mostly as a feral cat deterrent. I've seen quite a few already. Maybe some mint tea or jelly..

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Parsley and mint plus most of the others will be happy in partial shade. It's easy to look up on google.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having mint contained is a good idea, it tends to spread and spread with a solid root system.
Minthe was a nymph who had an affair with Haides, and claimed to be more attractive than Persephone, his wife. When Demeter, Persephone's mother, heard of it, she trampled her and turned her into the mint plant, and now she hangs around empty houses regretting what might have been. Mint is the herb that survives when the garden runs wild.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Parsley and mint plus most of the others will be happy in partial shade. It's easy to look up on google.
There is, of course, a plethora of information on google, it is how I found this site after all. But some things are best learned from a kind soul who simply took the time. Thank you, again. :)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
There are more herbs than vegetables. Therein lies the problem. The first article that came up when I dialed up 'herbs for the shade' was full of new possibilities. Chives, chervil, lemon balm, lovage, tarragon, lemon verbena, dill and bay laurel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are more herbs than vegetables. Therein lies the problem. The first article that came up when I dialed up 'herbs for the shade' was full of new possibilities. Chives, chervil, lemon balm, lovage, tarragon, lemon verbena, dill and bay laurel.
I planted some lemon balm on a junction of paths under a large tree today. I think of it as something that smells nice when you brush against it, never considered it as an herb, not in the culinary sense.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Pick a few favorites, both leafy (cooler areas), and fruiting (warmer areas). Start small, and spread out after gaining more confidence. Each season brings new challenges.

Ask a Question