Apartment Dweller trying to extend life of Sod on plastic tray on Balcony for dog

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Gardening Geniuses,
I joined your forum this evening to ask the best for a solution to extending the life of my three Slices of Sod I put on my patio to have my dogs pee on so I don't have to go walk them. The system has worked great for many months now and I would suggest it for anyone who would pay ~$10 a month in Sod (3 slices) and the materials in this do it yourself video.

The sod is green at new and starts to get totally brown almost reliably at 3 weeks. Never really makes it a month. I have a plastic dog tray underneath that does not leak. Water would flow over it if I watered it too much. I water it regularly every other day if not every. It has some sun for 2 hours at least. Can I pump it full of plant food? Can I put some soil under the sod to trick it into thinking its in the real ground? What is the solution to making it last longer if not indefinitely so these dogs can pee and #### on this sod at their leisure?

I would Frankenstein this grass if it would keep it alive longer.

IMG_2423.jpg

image0.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The problem with growing sod is it needs at least 6 hrs of direct sunlight to stay green. Plus repeated urine drenching will lower the pH of the grass and turn it brown and kill it quickly. Fertilizer will not be needed at all, because of the clay on the bottom of the sod is nutrient dense. Its not recommended to fertilize sod for a few months or after the grass is actively growing. So the only real option is to replace the sod every 1 or 2 to 3 weeks and just use them as temporary pee pads. You have a gorgeous dog with a easy to grow plant and everybody's happy. The bottom photo is so very special and worth a million bucks, thank you so much for sharing.

Ask a Question