I live in an apartment in daytona fl, My wife wants some plants on the patio need more light

Reaction score
Country
United States
We live on the third floor of an apartment that faces the NW, no sun light till late afternoon and not much of it then either . can I use something like a mirror gazing ball or a mirror to bring the sun light, back underneath the patio,. any ideas? and will the reflective sun light off of a mirror make a difference.? I have my pepper plants that I am craving.. HELP lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, light-colored mulches can increase the light available to plants so I guess any other reflective surface would do the same. BUT peppers need lots and lots of light to build thick meaty walls. I'm in Michigan and when we get sun, at best my vegetable garden gets 5 hours a day; I've given up on peppers of any variety.
There are quite a few veggies that grow in lower light:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...s/vegetables-to-grow-in-shade-zm0z11zsto.aspx

Or you could supplement with a grow light, if you have a power source on your balcony?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The grow light is my suggestion also. Plants need to have a certain amount of light for a certain number of hours to grow and the grow light maybe the only way to go. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I would have to agree with a grow light as well. There are so many more varieties now and they are so efficient. Here is a great link and also within the link, there are some directions how to customize your grow light and save the most money. https://www.hydroponics.net/items/details/choose_a_grow_light.asp

Good luck and hopefully your space will not box you in but challenge you to think outside the box...no pun intended!

Ask a Question