Letting an onion go to seed

Reaction score
Hi! I'm letting two onions go to seed. They flowered, pretty white flowers, and now the flowers are drying up. What's left is a cute green little pod thingy. Are the seeds in the pod? Will it open up and let the seeds out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've just pulled my onions. The tops were dying off and I thought it was from too much rain, but now I think it's just too hot for them. The bulbs are still pretty small, but this is the farthest I've gotten with onion growing so I am still quite pleased with myself.

Reaction score
Yeah I tried to grow onion, started them inside and then moved them outside and the moment I did that the horrible sun killed them. It was probably my fault for not looking at weather. If it went to flower though, it will have seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
From now on, if I get an onion that sprouts, before September. I'm either going to grow it for chives or toss it in the compost it's just too hot here to grow them past spring. Live and learn, right? I've stopped buying them in large quantities.

Reaction score
I have a hard time growing onions in Texas. Plus my dog laid on them and that killed them apparently. They had such pretty blooms. Although they don't want to lay on garlic chives. Go figure. You gave me an idea to grow chives from my last onion. I'll try it and hope it sprouts a new bottom. I already have some leeks re-sprouting. I'm so excited at the prospect. Thanks.

Ask a Question