Learn to interpret your weeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I just read this article that talks about what kinds of weeds grow in what kinds of soils. I had never thought about it, but it looks like weeds can be used as a soil indicator: they'll tell you if the soil is fertile, poor, unable to retain moist or poorly draining soil...

I guess I need to try to learn what kind of weeds I have :)

"A healthy, fertile soil will have a pH of 6.2 to 7.0. Weeds indicating a fertile soil are: Burdock (Arctiumminus), Butter Print (Abutilontheophrasti), Chickweed (stellariamedia), Chicory (Cichoriumintybus), Dandelion (Taraxacumofficinale), Fat Hen ( Atriplexhastata), Groundsel ( Seneciovulgaris), Lamb’s-Quarters (Chenopodiumalbum), Pigweeds (family Amaranth), Pokeweed (Phytolaccaamericana), Purslane (Portulacaoleracea), Queen Anne’s lace (Daucuscarota), and Velvetleaf (Abutilonthoephrasti). Broccoli, corn, lettuce, melons, peppers, squash, and tomatoes are all heavy feeders and will thrive in a fertile soil."

Click here to read the whole article.

Reaction score
Interesting! I hadn't even stopped to think about this, it might sound silly, but I thought all the ''weeds'' could grow everywhere no matter what kind of soil they were faced with. Interesting to learn even them have standards when it comes to growing in certain soils. Thanks for sharing.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is a grass burr. I have a weed with little purple flowers growing everywhere what does that say about my soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is a grass burr. I have a weed with little purple flowers growing everywhere what does that say about my soil?
A sticker burr. One of those things that impale your foot when you go barefooted.

Ask a Question