Lessons Learned in Growing Moonflower Vine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been growing moonflower vines for a few years, but haven't bought any seeds since my first planting; I've been collecting seeds at the end of the season when the plant dies and I get tons of seeds -- I could probably make up at least 20 seed packs (that's a very conservative estimate)...a new business model:D

I've always grown them in full-sun conditions, but they were always around other plants that shaded them out a little, but I didn't think it shaded them out too much...But was I ever wrong.

This year I planted some in the same places and they're taking as long as ever to grow, but I also planted some in an area under my cedar tree (that was cut down earlier this year); this area gets tons of sun with nothing shading it out. The moonflower seeds I planted there have grown to five times the size of the other plants.

Lesson learned. Moonflower vines grow super quickly if planted in full-sun conditions (I mean FULL-SUN:D), including Florida full-sun conditions. They want tons of sun from the moment they pop out of the ground.

Another lesson I learned earlier is that they hate cold -- really hate cold. I had one volunteer pop up last year, because we had a mild winter, but then we had a minor cold snap that didn't even cause frost, but it was cold enough to kill the young plant.

Ask a Question