Leaf fall has begun!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I only have a small garden; the leaves that fall there are needed in situ, so what I do is to pack two empty black bins, leaf rake & shovel into the back of the car, and fill them with leaves that I collect on the way to my allotment.
I've so far collected a dozen bins this way, which have been broadcast on my plot and onion beds, tilling in what remains of them with some cattle manure and bonemeal in February.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I only have a small garden; the leaves that fall there are needed in situ, so what I do is to pack two empty black bins, leaf rake & shovel into the back of the car, and fill them with leaves that I collect on the way to my allotment.
I've so far collected a dozen bins this way, which have been broadcast on my plot and onion beds, tilling in what remains of them with some cattle manure and bonemeal in February.
What need have you for potassium?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
DSCF6002.JPG

We've filled 10 bags so far and have started piling them in the middle :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Those are 4" by 10 foot sections of cheap pvc thinwall drainpipe. There are 4, one is buried. This is half the of the lawn debris for the year. mulched for the most part so it is far denser than it looks, and it was wet (I hosed it) in between lifts so hopefully when I crack it open in march I will not be staring at last fall leaf mummies.
IMG_20181202_161739.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If there's one thing I've learned from collecting yard waste, i.e. leaves, is that unless you want to be sifting out trash, only gather yard waste from the million-dollar neighborhoods. Anywhere else and you'll be picking trash (including many cigarette butts) out of your leaves:mad::mad::mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If there's one thing I've learned from collecting yard waste, i.e. leaves, is that unless you want to be sifting out trash, only gather yard waste from the million-dollar neighborhoods. Anywhere else and you'll be picking trash (including many cigarette butts) out of your leaves:mad::mad::mad:
I get tempted by the piles left out by my neighbors but fortunatly I have enough to do and by the time I get my yard cleaned up I just do not see bothering with it all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
And I thought I was a serious collector of leaves, simply because I procured a pick up truck just for collecting leaves.

This takes it to a whole new level...I wonder what it cost him?

Two takeaways for me. 1) I seriously want a tractor. 2) If I ever splurged on one of those bigger tow behind DR leaf shredding vacuums, I am liable to get caught out in the neighborhood vacuuming up leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Leaf fall has nearly finished here in the west of England UK. I am educating my customers to mix their grass cuttings with fallen leaves and other soft garden wast to make beautiful sweet smelling compost to enrich the soil in early spring. Come on people, mother nature has given you a free gift, even rotten fruit eggshells and vegetable peelings, mix together and enrich that soil...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Leaf fall has nearly finished here in the west of England UK. I am educating my customers to mix their grass cuttings with fallen leaves and other soft garden wast to make beautiful sweet smelling compost to enrich the soil in early spring. Come on people, mother nature has given you a free gift, even rotten fruit eggshells and vegetable peelings, mix together and enrich that soil...
Your are not kidding! Using my mulching mower which is a rider, and sweeping the leaf debris into a sweeping pull behind bagger, I get this crazy chopped up dense mix which I spread in thinish (6 -8-nch) lifts and wet thoroughly ( key here- wet thoroughly). Wonderful early production from the center of the pile. Did I say wet thoroughly? If you did not, the spring dig will teach you some things. Like I use a compost pile. No way those leaves go on top of grass.

Ask a Question