Laying aggregate between stepping stones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a question about laying gravel/aggregate between paving stones. I have some rectangular paving stones laid out like stepping stones through a garden bed. I’m planning to put a 10mm limestone aggregate between the paving stones (at the moment it is just soil. The gap is only about 20 cm between the pavers. Would you put weed suppressant membrane down first and then the gravel?

My only hesitation is that it is such a small area I just don’t know how I’d actually lay and fix the weed suppressant membrane. When I’ve laid the membrane before I’ve used plastic pegs but they are quite bulky. Or would you just put the gravel directly on the soil? I’m worried if I don’t use the membrane the aggregate will move around and I will be forever sweeping it off the paving stones. Any advice appreciated! Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You will need to pt down some landscape felt, which I assume is what your Brits call weed suppressant. But the reason is to stop the gravel dissappearing down into the soil and the soil coming up into it, especially as it will be walked on. i don;t think you shold need to peg it down if you use a thick enough layer of gravel. Either way, it's going to get kicked onto the slabs whatever you do. Loose gravel is like that. The only way to stop it would be to embed it in concrete - which I'm sure you don't want to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So one thing the Romans knew that we forget is that dehydrated lime in all its forms seeks to become limestone again as it is re- hydrated over time. You literally could space it tight or fill a width or whatever and sweep it on dry and simply wet it from there on out. Every time it gets wet it becomes more like limestone rock. The lime front will prevent growth for some years.

Ask a Question