How do I go about laying down a wooden border

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking to create a bed of wooden chips, to cover up horrible looking concrete slabs, and using wood to use as the boarder. Is it a simple case of cutting the wood to size then using a strong adhesive (gorilla heavy duty grab adhesive or similar) to hold the wood in place then use tarpaulin to cover the slabs before putting in the wooden chips?

Any help much appreciated.
Greg.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome. The problem with wood is that it rots.

Over a decade ago I wanted to have a permanent edge between the border and the lawn to stop it creeping.

So I went for small rectangular, block paving bricks.
I dug a channel about six inches deep with a sharp edge to the lawn, put in some hardcore then some barely wet fine concrete mix, then laid the bricks. The following day I pointed them up.

Now I can just run my Flymo over where the grass meets the bricks, so I've completely done away with edging.

I also created three feature beds with them. They soon weathered down

P1010346.JPG

This from twelve years ago

P1030200.JPG

This from last year. You don't notice the bricks.

P1020703.JPG

You could do the same, cement the bricks to the edge of the paving. They'll last decades longer than wood, you can achieve a really professional looking finish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm looking to create a bed of wooden chips, to cover up horrible looking concrete slabs, and using wood to use as the boarder. Is it a simple case of cutting the wood to size then using a strong adhesive (gorilla heavy duty grab adhesive or similar) to hold the wood in place then use tarpaulin to cover the slabs before putting in the wooden chips?

Any help much appreciated.
Greg.
Rent one of these diamond saws, and cut the slabs into useful sized blocks. Then you may even use them as a border. Given the cost of pavers, and the nice look and water collection capacity of a sunken bed, you may find an improved result. There may well be gravel available under the slabs as well.
559c11a9cd3a2221686ff45c.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can simply put the wood on the outside of the concrete and use landscaping nails or rebar to hold it to the ground. These won't hold it tight but all you want to do is to keep it from creeping around. You can also screw or nail the ends together. You can use landscaping timbers or railroad ties. They carry the timbers at home improvement stores or lumberyards. They aren't really timbers but more the size of 4x4's only curved. As far as the tarp I don't see a need for it.

Ask a Question