Key lime

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What's a good way to know when key limes are ready to pick? I don't have many on the tree so I don't want to waste any.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What's a good way to know when key limes are ready to pick? I don't have many on the tree so I don't want to waste any.
Limes are fully ripe when they turn yellow, BUT, If they are fully ripe they are bitter. I think they are best when just a touch of yellow is showing. Dark green limes are what you normally get in a grocery store. Light green limes are better than dark one's but if just a hint of yellow is starting to show that is the best time IMO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good to know, I had no idea they turned yellow. They are still pretty firm right now, I assume they will soften a little when ready too?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good to know, I had no idea they turned yellow. They are still pretty firm right now, I assume they will soften a little when ready too?
They will soften a little but don't let softness determine when you pick. At a hint of yellowing they will still be quite firm/hard. Lemons on the other hand are usually better when completely yellow. IMO the more yellow a lemon is the sweeter it is, although on some varieties some folks prefer a yellow/green fruit which has a more sour/lemon taste. If you are making margaritas it don't matter

Ask a Question